Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaetan Bong has signed a new one year contract...

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
That is the rather limited (last season) Championship wingers who did not cut inside (where Rosenior is better?)

Maybe we need a left sided defensive (or box2box) midfielder to plug the gap. He had better be very good though as this may be Lualua's place in the 25 man squad? I would like a fully fit Lualua to stay. He deserves his chance and I still remember his performances at the beginning of the season before last. He won us 8 points on his own.

Skalak?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Keiran Gibbs has been at Arsenal for some considerable time now, yet has played relatively few first team games. I'm wondering why he is still there. Money? lack of ambition?

I expect Newcastle will be told he is NOT for sale. By the time Toon have reluctantly acquiesced for their second choice players, I hope it will all be too late for them!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Keiran Gibbs has been at Arsenal for some considerable time now, yet has played relatively few first team games. I'm wondering why he is still there. Money? lack of ambition?

Had thought it was because he was another player that spent half the season injured, but his history doesn't seem that bad, so probably a mixture of money and the stability Arsenal offer. Coming through the academy, he won't know anything else.

If Poco doesn't sign then I wouldn't mind Sead Kolasinac from Schalke instead, young German born Bosnian international that can also play as a defensive midfielder.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Couldn't disagree more. One of the things I like about Bong is the fact that he nearly always stays on his feet. I think I could count on one hand the number of times he's gone diving in on someone, as he's so rarely caught out positionally and is quick enough to recover.

Whether he can transfer that to the PL remains to be seen, but nobody had him on toast last season.

This. Amazes me some don't know the strengths and weaknesses of our own players.

Bong is a very good defensive fullback, nearly always stays on his feet and ushers his man towards the touchline or byline where he often stops the cross. He is very quick and physically very strong. I can't even remember anyone getting past him at Championship level. He is also quite dangerous in attack and his first time crosses on his left foot have resulted in a few goals directly or indirectly this season. He has also thrown his body at shots numerous times along with Dunk and Duffy, a couple of them vital blocks. He's a committed player, I like him.

His weakness is in possession, particularly if he doesn't have a pass on down the left. Very glad he has signed a new deal.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Great shout. Would be a good signing. Surely, a professional footballer must want game time (see Wayne Bridge), rather than stay on the periphery for £70k a week........ then again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not personally convinced that Bong can make the step up, tbh, but it's another piece in place.

Yes, there are times he looks great and others he looks like a Ryman player. Let's hope it's the former next year. I wonder if he's been signed for cover and we're going after a better player.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brilliant news.

This is a massive blow to opposition coaches thinking we'd be a soft touch down the wings.

Another piece in the jigsaw of a midtable quality PL first eleven. With the likes also of the immensely talented; Norwood, Bruno, Murphy and Hemed, we have the makings of being a PL club for many years to come.

TB and Winstanley are pulling out all the stops to keep us there.

:)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yes, there are times he looks great and others he looks like a Ryman player. Let's hope it's the former next year. I wonder if he's been signed for cover and we're going after a better player.

Bit harsh but I know what you mean. He strikes me as very much a confidence player. (Stupid expression I appreciate)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Understated view. Bong is quite clearly a top flight quality player. I'm surprised a load of PL clubs haven't tried to poach Bong, perhaps that was kept secret?

Brilliant news.

This is a massive blow to opposition coaches thinking we'd be a soft touch down the wings.

Another piece in the jigsaw of a midtable quality PL first eleven. With the likes also of the immensely talented; Norwood, Bruno, Murphy and Hemed, we have the makings of being a PL club for many years to come.

Are you slightly miffed that we have signed Bong up for a year, and not convinced Lahm to give it a go for another season at the albion?

After all, the PL is swamped with world class LBs, like Martin 'falls on his arse' Olsson, Matthew Lowton and Erik Pieters.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We need 9 defenders in the 25 man squad and so far have 7 contracted.

Chances are we'll be getting another left back, likely a first team pick ???

Bong is a great signing and will be a valuable member of the 25.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brilliant news.

Of course! You clearly know that we need a completely new squad as most of the players who got us promoted will not cut it in the Premier League.

Forget the team spirit. (like Middlesbrough?)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you slightly miffed that we have signed Bong up for a year, and not convinced Lahm to give it a go for another season at the albion?

After all, the PL is swamped with world class LBs, like Martin 'falls on his arse' Olsson, Matthew Lowton and Erik Pieters.

Bong is a great player, and still has the all important pace. Elated that we've managed to retain him. For what it's worth, I rate Pog too.

But we also need to secure the long term services of Hemed, Skalak and Norwood, before other PL clubs circle to entice players away with better contracts.

In TB we trust.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Bong is a great player, and still has the all important pace. Elated that we've managed to retain him. For what it's worth, I rate Pog too.

But we also need to secure the long term services of Hemed, Skalak and Norwood, before other PL clubs circle to entice players away with better contracts.

In TB we trust.

You're abit of a :tosser: aren't you really?

Can't come up with a coherent argument as to why Bong won't 'cut it' as a backup LB in top tier (other than you don't seem to think he has any pace? :facepalm::tumble:), so you are resorting to some very asinine and frankly quite humourless satire.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're abit of a :tosser: aren't you really?

Can't come up with a coherent argument as to why Bong won't 'cut it' as a backup LB in top tier (other than you don't seem to think he has any pace? :facepalm::tumble:), so you are resorting to some very asinine and frankly quite humourless satire.

Are you really that much of :dunce: :wanker: ?

On this positive thread about Bong, you seem unable to read. Bong is quality and has pace. We missed him during his injury layoffs. How many times does that need to be typed out for you? I also hope we manage to sign Pog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here