Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fun random facts

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Liverpool have only had less shots than their opponents 3 times this season, Albion last week at Anfield, Aston Villa when they got humped 7-2, and the Albion at the Amex.

In view of post 23 and 30 I'll delete my post. Fact.

Jun 20, 2020
Fun fact , fewer and less used to be used interchangeably, but then some 18th century dullard decided that it would help them identify members of the in group if they adopted a convention where one was used for countable nouns and the other for uncountable. By the late 20th century normal people were again using the words interchangeably, but then the supermarkets use of less on signage alerted this fact to the sort of people who want to become parish councillors. Now how people use less is once again under attack from Daily Mail letters writers and other types who don't know the difference between actual grammar rules and pointless pedantry. I really wish there were less of these smug ******** around wasting peoples time.

Too aggressive to denote the possessive?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My favourite fun fact .

John Tyler, 10th President of the United States of America, 1840-44, born in 1790, has a surviving Grandson.

Until September last year, he had 2 surviving Grandchildren, but , unfortunately his eldest son Lyon aged 95 passed away.

His 91 year old grandson Harrison is still breathing.

John Tyler had a son by this second wife, at the age of 63, the son Lyon senior, then had a child by his second wife, at the age of 75.

John Tyler was also the first US President to face impeachment.
He was born during George Washington’s first term of office.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
My favourite fun fact .

John Tyler, 10th President of the United States of America, 1840-44, born in 1790, has a surviving Grandson.

Until September last year, he had 2 surviving Grandchildren, but , unfortunately his eldest son Lyon aged 95 passed away.

His 91 year old grandson Harrison is still breathing.

John Tyler had a son by this second wife, at the age of 63, the son Lyon senior, then had a child by his second wife, at the age of 75.

John Tyler was also the first US President to face impeachment.
He was born during George Washington’s first term of office.

On a similar note, the last recipient of an American Civil War pension only died in May 2020. Her father fought for both sides in the war. She was eligible as she was a dependent adult due to a mental handicap.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Columbo was originally written for Bing Crosby, who turned it down, the character was only modified when Peter Falk was hired.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Jim Broadbent, who went on to play Inspector Slater, was the original choice to play Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) The Four Counties Pub, just outside Tamworth, sits exactly where four different counties meet. Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Warwickshire.
2 ) A crossroads in Reading sees four different types of road meet in one spot. A street meeting a lane meeting an avenue meeting a road. The only occurence of this in the UK.
3) Eddie Reynolds headed all four goals when Wimbledon beat Sutton in the 1963 Amateur Cup Final, the only player to head four goals in a Cup Final. In 1975 Malcolm MacDonald ( No.9 ) headed four goals for England v Cyprus at Wembley. The initials of the Cypriot no.9 were MM.
4) In musical history, the most successful groups usually have four members.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
When punk/metal band "Bomb Disneyland" were threatened with legal action by the Disney Corporation they changed their name to "Bomb Everything".

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Fun fact , fewer and less used to be used interchangeably, but then some 18th century dullard decided that it would help them identify members of the in group if they adopted a convention where one was used for countable nouns and the other for uncountable. By the late 20th century normal people were again using the words interchangeably, but then the supermarkets use of less on signage alerted this fact to the sort of people who want to become parish councillors. Now how people use less is once again under attack from Daily Mail letters writers and other types who don't know the difference between actual grammar rules and pointless pedantry. I really wish there were less of these smug ******** around wasting peoples time.

I don’t think you can use them interchangeably.
For example, if I said I have fewer beer poured into my glass than you. Or, the local swimming pool has fewer water than an Olympic one. It would just sound wrong.
Right?
Therefore it is better to separate them, obviously!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here