Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not a bad idea.

Any ideas where?
JPMorgan have a few funds concentrating on specific countries or areas. My Indian one has gone up well but over 10% of that was from the drop in sterling. Despite that and the global economic future not looking roses I may stick more on that and some on JPM China.
Any more tips? When's oil coming back?

This has been pretty spectacular for me.........wish I'd put more in it.......

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/about-us/fund-factsheet

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Not a bad idea.

Any ideas where?
JPMorgan have a few funds concentrating on specific countries or areas. My Indian one has gone up well but over 10% of that was from the drop in sterling. Despite that and the global economic future not looking roses I may stick more on that and some on JPM China.

My best success has been Blackrock Gold and General - up 80% in 6 months. IMO, anyone with significant investments should hold gold in some form (ETF, fund or physical). It earns nothing but it is contra cyclical when things go wrong. Just ignore it when goes south as chances are your other investments are going north. Have some turkeys to compensate, mind you.

Housebuilders look good on current valuation. I have Redrow and tempted with Bovis, yielding 6.8%. Even if divi is halved, still reasonable.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not a bad idea.

Any ideas where?

Oil price up 4% today. I miss out again......

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
City Natural Resources High Yield Trust plc has done me proud over the last couple of months,decent divi too. It's at an near 18% discount to nav.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Emerging markets would be worth a play at some stage soon. Also think that at some point nuclear energy will make a big recovery. Perhaps best played through ETF on Plutonium although you take the USD risk unless ETF based in GBP

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
FTSE250 now at a 14 month high.!

A high that occurred just after Carney basically hinted rates are going nowhere,

Worth noting that we are currently experiencing an unprecedented period of zero % rates. That means you'll be lucky to find 0.5% on your savings, so naturally investors at all levels are turning to stocks and housing at the expense of commodities - hence the inflated FTSE's.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A high that occurred just after Carney basically hinted rates are going nowhere,

Worth noting that we are currently experiencing an unprecedented period of zero % rates. That means you'll be lucky to find 0.5% on your savings, so naturally investors at all levels are turning to stocks and housing at the expense of commodities - hence the inflated FTSE's.

If as you say it is 'inflated' that would suggest that those investor's would be getting less than 0% (a loss) when it, in your eyes finds its 'true' value, if they dont then it clearly isnt inflated.

It also interests me that you stated shortly after Brexit when the FTSE 100 showed some gains that the FTSE 250 was the REAL indicator of the nations economic prosperity, now that the 250 is at a 14 month high you dismiss this due to historic low interest rates as if we didnt already have historic low interest rates when you made that originally comment.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If as you say it is 'inflated' that would suggest that those investor's would be getting less than 0% (a loss) when it, in your eyes finds its 'true' value, if they dont then it clearly isnt inflated.

It also interests me that you stated shortly after Brexit when the FTSE 100 showed some gains that the FTSE 250 was the REAL indicator of the nations economic prosperity, now that the 250 is at a 14 month high you dismiss this due to historic low interest rates as if we didnt already have historic low interest rates when you made that originally comment.

You know we are not allowed good news related to Brexit

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Suspect this is better judge of how things are:
Capture.JPG

FTSE 100 is poor statistic to use for anything except how well the FTSE 100 is doing because it includes mainly international companies and is weighted heavily to miners, whose share price a) fluctuates; b) has rock all to do with Brexit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is no point in saving since the interest rates have been cut so there is a ridiculous amount of money going in to shares in the hope of better returns. Sadly this bubble will burst.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here