Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
It was obvious there would be a degree of uncertainty following the unexpected out vote, but the sky hasn't fallen in as predicted by all the doom and gloom merchants.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lets see if we can find one single post where a Remainer predicted this, I remember back in June how some offered doom and gloom on the effects it would have on the markets and perhaps a few initial comments on the original dip in the pound, but as I recall not a single one predicted a fall in sterling would temporarily effect positively the markets.

Now of course its become clear as day that the positive shift in the current markets is due to the weakening of sterling, something seemingly you have just learnt.

You are all waiting for the perfect storm when sterling weakens at the same time as the market falls, can you imagine the outrage, you lot are just pissing in the wind as usual, you can add anecdotal stories of your own workplace, just a shame for balance you never offered any last week.

Very red faced and ashamed at the thousands added to my ISA portfolio.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Lets see if we can find one single post where a Remainer predicted this, I remember back in June how some offered doom and gloom on the effects it would have on the markets and perhaps a few initial comments on the original dip in the pound, but as I recall not a single one predicted a fall in sterling would temporarily effect positively the markets.

Now of course its become clear as day that the positive shift in the current markets is due to the weakening of sterling, something seemingly you have just learnt.

You are all waiting for the perfect storm when sterling weakens at the same time as the market falls, can you imagine the outrage, you lot are just pissing in the wind as usual, you can add anecdotal stories of your own workplace, just a shame for balance you never offered any last week.

I voted Remain, but not for any of the reasons that the Remain campaign articulated, which was rightly characterised as Project Fear by the Leavers. Your post seems to be a crowing one, but things aren't all positive after the vote, as your post indicates: the fall in the pound to 31-year low against the dollar, and three-year low against the Euro. And this is before the negotiations and before Brexit itself.
Which is another way of saying, I thought Brexit was a bad idea four months ago, and still think it was a bad idea, and there really isn't too much that will transpire to make me think that it will be a good idea.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Are we still arguing this? As a Leaver I voted for what the country will look like in 10-20 years. I believe it will be a better place as a result. But after 4 months when we haven't actually exited yet there is nothing to measure. It is worthwhile highlighting that the economy hasn't crashed and burned as SOME of the Remainers in the establishment predicted, but otherwise lets wait and see shall we.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are we still arguing this? As a Leaver I voted for what the country will look like in 10-20 years. I believe it will be a better place as a result. But after 4 months when we haven't actually exited yet there is nothing to measure. It is worthwhile highlighting that the economy hasn't crashed and burned as SOME of the Remainers in the establishment predicted, but otherwise lets wait and see shall we.

That is a MEASURED and CONSIDERED response and you should hang your head in SHAME.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I thought Brexit was a bad idea four months ago, and still think it was a bad idea, and there really isn't too much that will transpire to make me think that it will be a good idea.
Time

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I voted Remain, but not for any of the reasons that the Remain campaign articulated, which was rightly characterised as Project Fear by the Leavers. Your post seems to be a crowing one, but things aren't all positive after the vote, as your post indicates: the fall in the pound to 31-year low against the dollar, and three-year low against the Euro. And this is before the negotiations and before Brexit itself.
Which is another way of saying, I thought Brexit was a bad idea four months ago, and still think it was a bad idea, and there really isn't too much that will transpire to make me think that it will be a good idea.

No I am not crowing, mine was a challenge to the previous posts that in my view were actually crowing at the title of 'sterling at 31 year low', I am confident that we will in all probability be ok, however whatever the future holds economically is yet to be determined, the Eurozone in my eyes holds very little certainty either, so to some extent leaving the EU shouldn't pose too much difference to how we go about our business today, do not fret about negotiation that has been ongoing whether you are in or out.

I do not share (obviously) those that sporadically shout from the sidelines 'sterling lower', 'markets down' and 'my business costs have increased this week by 15%', it's all bluster, I am even yet unwilling to even join in on 'the challenges ahead', as someone that is a self employed bloke, in my world thats called WORK.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
No I am not crowing, mine was a challenge to the previous posts that in my view were actually crowing at the title of 'sterling at 31 year low', I am confident that we will in all probability be ok, however whatever the future holds economically is yet to be determined, the Eurozone in my eyes holds very little certainty either, so to some extent leaving the EU shouldn't pose too much difference to how we go about our business today, do not fret about negotiation that has been ongoing whether you are in or out.

I do not share (obviously) those that sporadically shout from the sidelines 'sterling lower', 'markets down' and 'my business costs have increased this week by 15%', it's all bluster, I am even yet unwilling to even join in on 'the challenges ahead', as someone that is a self employed bloke, in my world thats called WORK.

Who has been shouting them Both? Common sense must decree that a lower rate of sterling would improve the FTSE!

It's really all about do the majority suffer with a weaker pound, whilst the fat cats get fatter with their increased investments, annuities, pension pots etc. Personally my annuity should increase, not sure if I'll profit as I'll need to spend more pounds. But what irks me is that around the country CEOs will be wringing their hands in anticipation of a few mill more in their yearly bonus payouts. Bet Phillip Green's not a 'remainer' !

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very red faced and ashamed at the thousands added to my ISA portfolio.

It does show investing in stock market with a global focus is a great hedge against government incompetence.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Who has been shouting them Both? Common sense must decree that a lower rate of sterling would improve the FTSE!

It's really all about do the majority suffer with a weaker pound, whilst the fat cats get fatter with their increased investments, annuities, pension pots etc. Personally my annuity should increase, not sure if I'll profit as I'll need to spend more pounds. But what irks me is that around the country CEOs will be wringing their hands in anticipation of a few mill more in their yearly bonus payouts. Bet Phillip Green's not a 'remainer' ![/QUOTE

I am not sure about that, it seems a bit of a mish mash to me, on the one hand remainers quite reasonably are citing uncertainty, instability and current investment decisions in response to the inevitable leaving of the EU and then you say that CEO's are just enjoying the undeserved riches of a weaker sterling, whilst impending doom of a Brexit just around the corner.

They are either enjoying their rewards as they think its a fillip to their business's and they can still profit in the longer term or they are concerned that it will end it tears anytime soon.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

It's really all about do the majority suffer with a weaker pound, whilst the fat cats get fatter with their increased investments, annuities, pension pots etc. Personally my annuity should increase, not sure if I'll profit as I'll need to spend more pounds. But what irks me is that around the country CEOs will be wringing their hands in anticipation of a few mill more in their yearly bonus payouts. Bet Phillip Green's not a 'remainer' ![/QUOTE

I am not sure about that, it seems a bit of a mish mash to me, on the one hand remainers quite reasonably are citing uncertainty, instability and current investment decisions in response to the inevitable leaving of the EU and then you say that CEO's are just enjoying the undeserved riches of a weaker sterling, whilst impending doom of a Brexit just around the corner.

They are either enjoying their rewards as they think its a fillip to their business's and they can still profit in the longer term or they are concerned that it will end it tears anytime soon.

A lower sterling is a short term gain for some

But for many businesses its hard to put prices up 20% so its squeezed margins, and declining living standards pushing the poorest closer to the margins. It also means a holiday abroad becomes out of reach for many.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A lower sterling is a short term gain for some

But for many businesses its hard to put prices up 20% so its squeezed margins, and declining living standards pushing the poorest closer to the margins. It also means a holiday abroad becomes out of reach for many.

So whats that got to do with CEO's wringing their hands ?

Either they are wringing their hands for a quick profit coupled with longer term gains or not, that was my point, how you then associate a blip into sterlings value with declining living standards and the poor is unbelievably knee jerk, you nor I can possibly know how the currency markets will pan out nor the markets its just a snapshot on an October day in 2016.

biddles911

May 12, 2014

A much more balanced view at last!

The effects won't really be felt for years so getting excited at whatever indicator "supports" anyone's case at the moment is a mugs game, in my view.

As a Remainer, my primary reason for staying was preferring stability over uncertainty at my relatively advanced age (60+) though I seem to have been in a minority in my age group much to my surprise.

What is making me feel more comfortable about Brexit now though is the indications that the EU itself is imploding with so many members at odds with the EU itself on various issues, including migration.

This drift looks like it will be compounded by the German/French elections next year and could, conceivably, result in the EU backing down on some of its key tenets.

Wonder how Brexiteers would feel about staying in the EU if they backed down on migration, for example!?

Interesting thought.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here