Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm fine. But I'm concerned about you, as I am with any poster that uses that winking icon.

Not really much of a come back, but on a serious note what surprises me about the vocal Remainers that havent stopped whining since their loss is that although I was a committed Outer if the vote had gone against me I would have settled down by now and I am not even sure if there would be a thread on here debating it, its genuinely surprised me how it has affected you and others, no doubt whipped up by continuous media coverage but come on, man up mate FFS.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Not really much of a come back, but on a serious note what surprises me about the vocal Remainers that havent stopped whining since their loss is that although I was a committed Outer if the vote had gone against me I would have settled down by now and I am not even sure if there would be a thread on here debating it, its genuinely surprised me how it has affected you and others, no doubt whipped up by continuous media coverage but come on, man up mate FFS.

Wasn't it an OUTER that started this post? Somewhat defeats your argument!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm not quite sure what man up means, but:
-- the vote itself was very close, 3.8% difference
-- with a vote that close, whatever losing side was going to state their case
-- even if it wasn't close, plenty would be doing so anyway
-- the debate will continue. UKIP have been around for more than 20 years; did they just accept the previous referendum on the EU/EEC, which did have a very clear result?
-- the media have whipped up both sides, so that's not really a route worth pursuing
-- in my initial post, I was merely indicating certain 'facts', post-vote
-- I'm not whining; in a democracy, citizens are entitled -- expected -- to debate things
-- something else :smile:
--

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm not a doom monger, but was a Remain-supporter.
My view is that there isn't a single indicator, there are several, but if you think things are that sunny can I mention:
-- the pound/dollar rate
-- the pound/euro rate
-- consumer confidence
-- business confidence
-- purchasing index
-- estate agent reports of massively decreased activity

There are several other economic indicators that others more clued up about such things will be able to identify. And outside of economics, can I just point to the perception of this declining nation amongst other countries, which has its sovereignty back when we're living in a post-sovereignty world, and we've now got Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. We've also not only substantially increased the number of diplomats, bureaucrats, lawyers, etc that will be involved in Brexit in the UK, and in the world. And one last thing: there are numerous challenges that we are confronted with, both internally and in foreign affairs, and we're going to spend the next two-and-a-half/three/five/ten/whatever years focusing on this.

Estate Agents might well indeed report decreased activity, but they don't do too badly when prices are so high. I would personally like to see house prices come down because quite honestly it is disgusting.

Refurbished bungalow on the market where I live, extension added to the front of the property, now it is on the market for nearly or a nearly half a million pound, yes nearly half a million pounds. Tell me what local person can realistically afford something like this.

Honestly it is worth no more than £180,000 in the real world.

Just to compare you can buy an 8 bedroom house in Brittany for the same money
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-60499445.html

House prices in this country are a real rip off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Article on bloomberg channel saying that Brexit has actually been a damp squib on the markets and many on the pro remain doomongers side are seeing their reputations shattered.

Britain will see long term prosperity whilst the Eurozone is an absolute basket case. Spain and Portugal are about to be hit by mass austerity which is being imposed on them by the EU. This will cripple the private sectors investment hopes.

Many Investors will switch from iberia and the southern European states to the relative safe haven of the UK.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Estate Agents might well indeed report decreased activity, but they don't do too badly when prices are so high. I would personally like to see house prices come down because quite honestly it is disgusting.

Refurbished bungalow on the market where I live, extension added to the front of the property, now it is on the market for nearly or a nearly half a million pound, yes nearly half a million pounds. Tell me what local person can realistically afford something like this.

Honestly it is worth no more than £180,000 in the real world.

Just to compare you can buy an 8 bedroom house in Brittany for the same money
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-60499445.html

House prices in this country are a real rip off.

With you all the way on this one. We need to seriously develop a radical policy regarding housing and property -- a massive building programme over a prolonged period would do for starters

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It's going to take a good few years to evaluate the economic impact of this decision. Tempting though it is, there is really no point in trying to conclude anything now. We all jump on exchange rates, share indices, credit ratings and anything else we can find which might show us what might happen. I do it myself. But the the truth is there are a million variables in the wider world, most of which will impact us to one degree or another. Some might help us, some won't. Some might be more useful to us as part of the EU, others more use in our "independent" state.

It's all about how we manage the exit process, how well we manage the economy through this and not least the social changes we implement. IMO of course.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
CnWXpjTWYAEBbfG.jpg

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Because of the Unknown here. (Let's be honest, no one has a clue what's going to happen bad or good to our economy) this thread has the potential to make top 5 of all time number of quotes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's going to take a good few years to evaluate the economic impact of this decision. Tempting though it is, there is really no point in trying to conclude anything now. We all jump on exchange rates, share indices, credit ratings and anything else we can find which might show us what might happen. I do it myself. But the the truth is there are a million variables in the wider world, most of which will impact us to one degree or another. Some might help us, some won't. Some might be more useful to us as part of the EU, others more use in our "independent" state.

It's all about how we manage the exit process, how well we manage the economy through this and not least the social changes we implement. IMO of course.

Nailed it. Movements up or down over such a short period in exchange rates, stock markets etc can't be taken in isolation and used to 'prove' anything, and neither can many of the forecasts as most turn out to be dogshite anyway. Who knows, even Brexit itself may be over-ridden by other bigger factors before we get to understand the true long-term impact.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Article on bloomberg channel saying that Brexit has actually been a damp squib on the markets and many on the pro remain doomongers side are seeing their reputations shattered.

Britain will see long term prosperity whilst the Eurozone is an absolute basket case. Spain and Portugal are about to be hit by mass austerity which is being imposed on them by the EU. This will cripple the private sectors investment hopes.

Many Investors will switch from iberia and the southern European states to the relative safe haven of the UK.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Italy is not far behind, their banks are not capitalised enough and vulnerable and all this after having an EU puppet president imposed them.I'm not sure the euro will last another five years as a previous poster has predicted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here