Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes - but (assuming this is a DC/money purchase pot) you will find that the new economic strategy has materially reduced what your pension will be worth in the future. If you want to buy an annuity, you'll find it now costs around £100k for every £2.5k of annual pension (ie, for an annual inflation-linked pension of £25k pa, you will need £1m). Plus - monetary easing of the like we are now seeing, coupled with the exchange rate declines, mean that inflation will be higher in the future, eating into the nominal value of your savings. Believe me, every saver is now materially worse off than hey were three weeks ago.

It's a SIPP, it's well diversified and I'm in income drawdown. I'm NOT worse off than I was 3 weeks ago whatever you may say.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster

I only ask for less negativity. yes, I agree the remain has the right to carry on wanting to remain. but instead of moaning about the choice that is made. aint it time to start promoting reasons to re-join. after all re joining will always be an option. despite the remain campaigns scare mongering. or do we only look into the leave campaign lies. as I said time to move on.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I only ask for less negativity. yes, I agree the remain has the right to carry on wanting to remain. but instead of moaning about the choice that is made. aint it time to start promoting reasons to re-join. after all re joining will always be an option. despite the remain campaigns scare mongering. or do we only look into the leave campaign lies. as I said time to move on.

One step at a time! I think we (Remainers) have to accept the result - no matter how flawed we think it was - and campaign for Brexit-lite (or Brexit-very-lite). If we achieve a soft Brexit, we may find this to be an acceptable compromise. If we end up with full-on Farage-style Brexit, then I think the arguments for re-joining will become self-evident.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
One step at a time! I think we (Remainers) have to accept the result - no matter how flawed we think it was - and campaign for Brexit-lite (or Brexit-very-lite). If we achieve a soft Brexit, we may find this to be an acceptable compromise. If we end up with full-on Farage-style Brexit, then I think the arguments for re-joining will become self-evident.

How was it flawed when everyone had the right to vote and the majority voted out? If anything it was the Remainers who used dirty tactics and scaremongering.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can someone please explain to me what FTSE100/250 and all that actually mean? :(

FTSE100 is an index of the 100 largest valued companies on the UK stock market. the FTSE250 is the next 250 largest. due to the many international companies listing their company in the UK market, the FTSE100 is more reflective of the global economy, while the FTSE250 is a better reflection of the UK economy.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Everyone is harping on about the FTSE250 being a better indicator, and I notice that it is also higher than it was a month ago.

Over to the doom mongers.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Everyone is harping on about the FTSE250 being a better indicator, and I notice that it is also higher than it was a month ago.

I was waiting for someone to point out this fact. In a thread full of people trying to make themselves sound intelligent without actually knowing **** all what they are talking about, you sir, have just won post of the month!!!

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I was waiting for someone to point out this fact. In a thread full of people trying to make themselves sound intelligent without actually knowing **** all what they are talking about, you sir, have just won post of the month!!!

Please enlighten me. And for the record I was not trying to sound intelligent, just quoting what I see on the financial pages.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
f anything it was the Remainers who used dirty tactics and scaremongering.

notsure-1.jpg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Of course, you have completely ignored the context in which my statement was made, BRAVO. Keep on talking everything down but you still won't get your wish - economic meltdown.

You didn't give any context. That was your full post.
Just because someone disagrees with you, it does not mean they necessarily want economic meltdown. Just as you disagreeing with me does not necessarily make you a sun-reading, leave-voting, farrage-loving, xenophobic ****.

Your point was addressed by myself and countless others at the beginning of the thread.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Just because someone disagrees with you, it does not mean they necessarily want economic meltdown. Just as you disagreeing with me does not necessarily make you a sun-reading, leave-voting, farrage-loving, xenophobic ****.

Your point was addressed by myself and countless others at the beginning of the thread.

It's still higher though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm not a doom monger, but was a Remain-supporter.
My view is that there isn't a single indicator, there are several, but if you think things are that sunny can I mention:
-- the pound/dollar rate
-- the pound/euro rate
-- consumer confidence
-- business confidence
-- purchasing index
-- estate agent reports of massively decreased activity

There are several other economic indicators that others more clued up about such things will be able to identify. And outside of economics, can I just point to the perception of this declining nation amongst other countries, which has its sovereignty back when we're living in a post-sovereignty world, and we've now got Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. We've also not only substantially increased the number of diplomats, bureaucrats, lawyers, etc that will be involved in Brexit in the UK, and in the world. And one last thing: there are numerous challenges that we are confronted with, both internally and in foreign affairs, and we're going to spend the next two-and-a-half/three/five/ten/whatever years focusing on this.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

There were 3 or 4 posts in an ongoing discussion leading up to that one. The context was:
The point that was being discussed was the fact that the FTSE has gone up in sterling terms but down in dollar terms. The dollar value is pretty much irrelevant to nearly everyone on NSC (and in the UK) because their pension pots and other investments are denominated in sterling.
My portfolio is in sterling and I draw income in Sterling. It is irrelevant to revalue the portfolio in dollars or euros and then say "it's gone down".

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not a doom monger, but was a Remain-supporter.
My view is that there isn't a single indicator, there are several, but if you think things are that sunny can I mention:
-- the pound/dollar rate
-- the pound/euro rate
-- consumer confidence
-- business confidence
-- purchasing index

There are several other economic indicators that others more clued up about such things will be able to identify. And outside of economics, can I just point to the perception of this declining nation amongst other countries, which has its sovereignty back when we're living in a post-sovereignty world, and we've now got Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary. We've also not only substantially increased the number of diplomats, bureaucrats, lawyers, etc that will be involved in Brexit in the UK, and in the world. And one last thing: there are numerous challenges that we are confronted with, both internally and in foreign affairs, and we're going to spend the next two-and-a-half/three/five/ten/whatever years focusing on this.
-- estate agent reports of massively decreased activity

Deep breaths .............................................. in through your nose and out through your mouth ....................... better now ???

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Anyone who cites consumer confidence as an economic indicator should be sure that the statistics correct for the project fear self fulfilling prophecy effect. Of course confidence is down, anyone who believed them head had their confidence obliterated!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here