'Friends of NSC' advertising

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think a couple of people mentioned this in the past but having been approached by a few small local firms in the last fortnight I thought I'd ask a little more formally to gauge interest ahead of doing (or commissioning) the development work that may be required...

Do you run, or are you involved in, a local business and would you be interested in raising awareness to the thousands in and around Sussex who use NSC and our numerous visitors who may come to the area for an Albion home game?

Perhaps you'd also consider offering special deals if someone mentions NSC when putting some business your way.

If there is enough interest we could put something together whereby, for a modest monthly fee, we group such businesses together and allow you to reach out to rather a lot of people who are, by and large, quite tightly focused geographically.

If you're interested in usage stats, here's some (click to enlarge)...

Screen Shot 2011-11-08 at 23.27.16.png

If you are interested, please PM me or email me at bozza@northstandchat.com and we can take it from there.

Ta.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Good idea - a bit like Friends of the Albion (is that even still going)

Question about the modest fee though - on NSC Twitter the other day it said something along the lines of "no need to pimp the site for cash". Does that mean that the fee will be very modest and it is more of a venture in helping Albion fans with businesses pick up some potential trade during these difficult times or has that tweet effectively been thrown out the window in less than a week?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good idea - a bit like Friends of the Albion (is that even still going)

Question about the modest fee though - on NSC Twitter the other day it said something along the lines of "no need to pimp the site for cash". Does that mean that the fee will be very modest and it is more of a venture in helping Albion fans with businesses pick up some potential trade during these difficult times or has that tweet effectively been thrown out the window in less than a week?

I thought you would ask that question - glad you haven't disappointed. I'm happy to answer it though.

I've been approached by one of the Albion's blue chip partners who have asked to get involved in NSC in some capacity. Talks are happening now. If anything happens and quite what it might be remains to be seen. What I meant by that comment that you just happen to have remembered is that NSC is, as it stands, relatively cash rich. Currently there is no need to make any drastic changes to NSC's winning formula in order to bring in extra revenue.

However, I remain aware that we are very much dependent upon Google Adsense income and if that were to stop then NSC would be losing money every month and our hosting bills are such that our cash reserves would deplete quickly.

So, any extra income is always going to be welcome as it provides confidence in NSC's long-term existence. I have no embarrassment in saying it is a case of "you scratch NSC's back and we'll scratch yours", and why should I? If people want to try using NSC as an advertising medium, then we'll do all we can to encourage NSC's significant userbase to help those who support the site, but it it doesn't work out positively for them, then they can walk away at any time.

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I thought you would ask that question - glad you haven't disappointed. I'm happy to answer it though.

I've been approached by one of the Albion's blue chip partners who have asked to get involved in NSC in some capacity. Talks are happening now. If anything happens and quite what it might be remains to be seen. What I meant by that comment that you just happen to have remembered is that NSC is, as it stands, relatively cash rich. Currently there is no need to make any drastic changes to NSC's winning formula in order to bring in extra revenue.

However, I remain aware that we are very much dependent upon Google Adsense income and if that were to stop then NSC would be losing money every month and our hosting bills are such that our cash reserves would deplete quickly.

So, any extra income is always going to be welcome as it provides confidence in NSC's long-term existence. I have no embarrassment in saying it is a case of "you scratch NSC's back and we'll scratch yours", and why should I? If people want to try using NSC as an advertising medium, then we'll do all we can to encourage NSC's significant userbase to help those who support the site, but it it doesn't work out positively for them, then they can walk away at any time.

As I said, it seems like a very good idea

Just one other question about it - how will this effect businesses and tradesmen who advertise services on here already? There was one bloke, a roofer I think, who had a link to his business in his signature and there were a few threads about it as well. I'm not sure if that is any longer the case, but would that no longer be allowed as obviously it would conflict with those paying to use the advertising service?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I said, it seems like a very good idea

Just one other question about it - how will this effect businesses and tradesmen who advertise services on here already? There was one bloke, a roofer I think, who had a link to his business in his signature and there were a few threads about it as well. I'm not sure if that is any longer the case, but would that no longer be allowed as obviously it would conflict with those paying to use the advertising service?

No idea - this is just being batted around at the moment.

(I like your oh-so-coy line of mischief making. Clever.)

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
No idea - this is just being batted around at the moment.

(I like your oh-so-coy line of mischief making. Clever.)

I may actually know somebody who would be interested in advertising on here if this takes off (and before you say anything, they won't be advertising on another Albion site for various reasons), but feel free to carry on your paranoia about my attempts to find out further information before passing on any details.

Anyway, I'll duck out of this now to avoid it turning into a pointless back-and-forth and wait for more details to be announced

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I may actually know somebody who would be interested in advertising on here if this takes off (and before you say anything, they won't be advertising on another Albion site for various reasons), but feel free to carry on your paranoia about my attempts to find out all the facts before passing on any details.

Anyway, I'll duck out of this now to avoid it turning into a pointless back-and-forth and wait for more details to be announced

Thanks. There are few facts to share as it's still very much a vague idea rather than a definite plan. As such anyone who has an interest may have the opportunity to shape things to suit themselves.

As above, by all means encourage your associate to get in touch per the above. If there is enough interest then I'll do something, if there's not then I won't.

So far we have a hotel, a pub, a flooring company and a firm of architects who have expressed an interest.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Good idea. Might help a few SMEs in difficult financial times and as long as NSC doesn't sell it's soul there is no such thing as having too much money.

Presumably Google ads don't insist on being the exclusive source of advertisement?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have you considered partnering up with "The Best of Brighton and Hove", by any chance? I know the guy who runs that site, and have mentioned NSC to him before but he wasn't sure whether you would be interested, and whether there was a potential deal there. He already has a lot of Brighton based businesses signed up on there and using that as a reference, and him using NSC in a similar way, might be viable for you both?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Have you considered partnering up with "The Best of Brighton and Hove", by any chance? I know the guy who runs that site, and have mentioned NSC to him before but he wasn't sure whether you would be interested, and whether there was a potential deal there. He already has a lot of Brighton based businesses signed up on there and using that as a reference, and him using NSC in a similar way, might be viable for you both?

Get him to drop me a line - always happy to talk.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What about local "one man band" businesses, will we be able to afford it?
You will appreciate local tradesmen don't have the advertising budgets of the larger companies already expressing an interest.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Hi Bozza,

Can you add four of my businesses to your list of interested parties please?

Thanks,

Tim

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You will appreciate local tradesmen don't have the advertising budgets of the larger companies already expressing an interest.

A great question.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I'd look here first if i knew it existed but what would also be useful is the ability for users to leave feedback, like that Check-a-trade thing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Well, as it happens both the floorer and the architect are sole traders.

No tradesmen have come forward expressing an interest and no costs have been discussed. Wouldn't it be great if there was a repository of Sussex-wide Albion friendly plumbers and sparkies etc that you would call out with increased confidence that they wouldn't try to rip you off and would arrive with some bonus Albion chat to boot?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn't there a post on here from [MENTION=14113]tom[/MENTION] hark preston park citing an example of how NSC might lose some independence?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm is as you know as I muted this a few years back Bozza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports