Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fraud help?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just visit a local branch of your bank or phone if not, explain situation in a calm and reasonable way and they will explain the process. They will deal with the fraudulent entries. Explain politely why you need an emergency overdraft and I'm sure they will help if they can, but if you have a poor credit rating or account that cannot do overdrafts, you will have to explain to your landlord why the rent will be a little late. Key is not to get ratty, but just ask the bank to resolve it with you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Without wishing to be rude, if your account is so close to zero that losing this sort of sum means you can't pay your rent, why are you spending £150 on a taxi?

This goes from bad to worse. I agree with TCB and others.
1. Why get probably the most expensive form of transport when you funds are short?
2. Why, knowing that your funds are short, did you offer to pay. Why not all pay a third each?
3. Why if he quoted £100, did you agree to pay £150?

Where was the journey from and to, and at what time?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You should never give anyone the info you gave this cabbie, particularly not the 3-digit security code on the reverse. Now he has all the info he needs to go on a spending spree on Paypal, or to sell that info to anyone else.

It's a bit difficult to use your card if you never give anyone the details - what's the point in having it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think you need a receipt really, to prove the amount. You could always take it up with the local licensing office if you were over-charged.

Unfortunately if you do give someone your card details, to be processed manually, you do run the risk of not being covered, as you have given them your details, rather than them being stolen!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
This goes from bad to worse. I agree with TCB and others.
1. Why get probably the most expensive form of transport when you funds are short?
2. Why, knowing that your funds are short, did you offer to pay. Why not all pay a third each?
3. Why if he quoted £100, did you agree to pay £150?

Where was the journey from and to, and at what time?

Saying my funds are short, well I think most people would feel the pinch of £520, the other lads have paid me back in cash, som my journey cost £50, I am a victim of crime and I have asked for help, I am
Just about to ring the police, they will then interrogate me and probably point out my stupidity.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Just visit a local branch of your bank or phone if not, explain situation in a calm and reasonable way and they will explain the process. They will deal with the fraudulent entries. Explain politely why you need an emergency overdraft and I'm sure they will help if they can, but if you have a poor credit rating or account that cannot do overdrafts, you will have to explain to your landlord why the rent will be a little late. Key is not to get ratty, but just ask the bank to resolve it with you.

Thank you

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Got a cab(black taxi) on Friday night, didn't have cash so I paid by card, I gave the cab driver the long number on the front, the expiry date and the three digits on the back, checked my balance today and he has taken £260 twice (c@@@), I rang the bank and they have said there is nothing they can do, I need to fill out a visa report form, I then said I need to pay my rent, they told me its not their problem I haven't got clear funds.

I am fuming!!!

Help?
Please

Gf is facing very similar problem at the moment. Called out an emergency locksmith and was charged twice on her card. Bank have been NO help at all and after a couple of requests for a refund of one of the payments with no response, we have instructed a solicitor to get a court order. Relatively simple process but potentially expensive (make sure you'll win and yr solicitor can recover costs from the other side or its crippling!).

We're not expecting, based on performance so far, for the guy to even turn up to the court hearing. But when the bailiffs come knocking on his door he'll get the picture. What was (giving the benefit of the doubt) probably a simple mistake and should have been resolved with one phone call, will now end up costing the c**t about a grand (£84 bill plus solicitor costs and bailiffs fees).

Sorry its not good news. The bank have been sh1t, hence the involvement of solicitors. You need a friendly one who will do it on a "no win, no fee"-type basis. What you need is... Exact details of who you are going to sue! Evidence that money was taken twice and not refunded. One letter from you asking for your money back. One letter from the solicitor demanding the money back. Present all this to a judge to gain a judgement in your favour. Sell the debt to a debt collector who will then recover everyone's money/costs.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Thank you to everyone who replied.

I bank with nationwide, the staff are nice but there is nothing they can do, a bit like the little britian sketch "computer says no!" "cough"

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Gf is facing very similar problem at the moment. Called out an emergency locksmith and was charged twice on her card. Bank have been NO help at all and after a couple of requests for a refund of one of the payments with no response, we have instructed a solicitor to get a court order. Relatively simple process but potentially expensive (make sure you'll win and yr solicitor can recover costs from the other side or its crippling!).

We're not expecting, based on performance so far, for the guy to even turn up to the court hearing. But when the bailiffs come knocking on his door he'll get the picture. What was (giving the benefit of the doubt) probably a simple mistake and should have been resolved with one phone call, will now end up costing the c**t about a grand (£84 bill plus solicitor costs and bailiffs fees).

Sorry its not good news. The bank have been sh1t, hence the involvement of solicitors. You need a friendly one who will do it on a "no win, no fee"-type basis. What you need is... Exact details of who you are going to sue! Evidence that money was taken twice and not refunded. One letter from you asking for your money back. One letter from the solicitor demanding the money back. Present all this to a judge to gain a judgement in your favour. Sell the debt to a debt collector who will then recover everyone's money/costs.

Why didn't you go via the small claims court - you can do it online for £30 and no solicitor. You get to go to court and you can get it found in your favour with costs. You still have to get the money off him but even going the big court route if he takes the "can't pay, won't pay" stance you won't get your money back. I'm not sure a debt collector will get it back either even if you sell the debt to a dodgy violent one

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Why didn't you go via the small claims court - you can do it online for £30 and no solicitor. You get to go to court and you can get it found in your favour with costs. You still have to get the money off him but even going the big court route if he takes the "can't pay, won't pay" stance you won't get your money back. I'm not sure a debt collector will get it back either even if you sell the debt to a dodgy violent one

Doesn't matter if they get it back or not. That's the point of selling it to a collector, so you're guaranteed the money. Plus, it puts a big brown stain on their credit record, which isn't a good thing if you're trying to run a business and need credit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here