Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FOUR MONTHS !! Is that all ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That would explain why it isn't just a £75 plus costs, but I still think, given the offence, it's too excessive. We lock too many people up for too long for relatively trivial offences - and the spell in the YOI didn't do any good.

What would you suggest he gets instead? He could have been given community service but a lot of them don't bother turning up for that and he has already shown a disregard for previous sentencing objectives. I know prison isn't ideal but he won't be getting blind drunk for a couple of months and his liberty has been curtailed. It may serve as a deterrent for other idiots, then again it probably won't.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
That would explain why it isn't just a £75 plus costs, but I still think, given the offence, it's too excessive. We lock too many people up for too long for relatively trivial offences - and the spell in the YOI didn't do any good.

Your view is pathetic and sums up why this country has gone down the drain. I think he should have got a year hard fecking labour.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What a stupid comment; why shouldn't I complain? And what do you think the sentence should have been for what was little more than a glorified push? If that had been one of the Leeds players he wouldn't have got four months in prison, it would have been a red card and a three match ban tops.

OK. so you are quite happy/can live with a fan running on the pitch and assaulting a player ? No i don't you are ? We now have NO FENCES at grounds now,maybe it is time they were put back,ah Hillsborough. FOUR YEARS WOULD SEND OUT A message.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
He is an unemployed alcoholic Leeds fan that lives with his mum in Cheltenham. Hasn't he been punished enough?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Unpaid work on Saturday afternoons (or whenever Leeds play) for a long time would have been better - he does something constructive and can't go to see his rather sad little team in their sad little ground.

Banging him up won't do any good - he's off the street only temporarily but will be back just the same and probably worse.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
"Prosecutor Paul Macauley said Cawley told police he had drunk a number of cans of lager and three-quarters of a litre of vodka before arriving in Sheffield and then had a further seven to 10 pints of cider."

Not a bad effort by 7.45pm.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The charge was, rightly, Common assault (aka battery). It's is summary only which means it can only be dealt with in a magistrates court and the maximum sentence is 6 months imprisonment. If an offender pleads guilty at the first opportunity, he must be given a one third reduction for his plea.
Hence 6 months becomes four months (to not give the reduction is immediate grounds for an appeal). For prison sentences of less than 12 months, prisoners are released at the halfway point, so he will do 8 weeks.
For football related offences such as this, if custody is imposed then a football banning order of between 6-10 years must be imposed (unless not in the interests of justice).
In my opinion and in my experience, this sentence was spot-on.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Should have got 8 months and take 12points off Leeds, see how the numpties in west Yorkshire feel about him then
:tosser:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
OK. so you are quite happy/can live with a fan running on the pitch and assaulting a player ? No i don't you are ? We now have NO FENCES at grounds now,maybe it is time they were put back,ah Hillsborough. FOUR YEARS WOULD SEND OUT A message.
Don't be such a drama queen, no of course I'm not happy with him running on the pitch and assaulting a player, and like I said I think the football part of his punishment (which I guess will be a lifetime ban from Elland Road) is fair enough. In thirty or forty years time when everyone's long forgotten about it and he still can't got to football matches he'll look back and realise what a prat he was. But four months in prison as well? And you think it should be four years? Well I asked the question and you answered it, fair enough, I don't have such a hang 'em and flog 'em mentality.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
What a stupid comment; why shouldn't I complain? And what do you think the sentence should have been for what was little more than a glorified push? If that had been one of the Leeds players he wouldn't have got four months in prison, it would have been a red card and a three match ban tops.

The Leeds players were not under a banning order for previous misconduct,if you do not think crime should be punished you can`t complain if or when you are ever the victim

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Leeds players were not under a banning order for previous misconduct,if you do not think crime should be punished you can`t complain if or when you are ever the victim

*Sigh* I didn't say it shouldn't be punished.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
When I got attacked at a football match the bloke got nothing more than a 3 yr banning order. I was hit properly as well.

I'm not feeling any sympathy for this bloke (obviously), but the sentence does seem out of proportion with what would generally be handed out for similar if it wasn't on a footballer. I get the "sending a message" thing, but still...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here