Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forster-Caskey

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He's been really poor for a while now. How he keeps getting selected is beyond me.

Who would you have played in his place? An out of form Ince? Lopez in a holding role? Stephens in a cast? March out of position? Crofts on crutches?...

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Not really into debates about how good this player is or who should play where, that is for the manager to decide, and a manager can only work with what he has available. The sooner some people realise this the better it will be. Yes some players made mistakes last night, others appeared to be anonymous at times, but those things can be said of every player over the season. We select our teams by the players we like, thankfully the manager has other criteria and remember as Micky Adams once said "You see the players for 90 minutes during a match. I see them every day" Think I shall go with Oscar's choices.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
People need to learn this new formation! 4-2-3-1 JFC & Andrews were the 2! Formation works well for me but I feel we missed Crofts / Stevens / Ince last night...

Dec 29, 2011
If...

- you don't think JFC is good enough to be playing, blame Oscar for playing him.
- you think Ince should be playing ahead of JFC, blame Oscar for playing him.
- you think JFC played the wrong style of game, blame Oscar for telling him how and where to play.
- you think abusing a young 20 year old who has just played in the biggest game of his career is the right thing to do, you are stupid.
- you think JFC didn't try as hard as he could last night, you are stupid.
- you were given an Albion shirt and told to go and give it your all, you wouldn't say "No, I think you should pick someone else".

Oscar isn't to blame, if we had some squad depth JFC would have been substituted last night. Blame the club recruitment policy if anything, Oscar has worked wonders with the squad he inherited.

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
wouldn't be surprised to see JFC start in the away game too, expect Garcia to keep it tight until HT and then look for a goal in the second half. JFC can benefit the team defensively as he will keep possession ticking over, just isn't creative enough when really looking for a goal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
JFC can benefit the team defensively as he will keep possession ticking over

Yes he done that very well last night..........not

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
How he stayed on for the whole 90 is beyond me. Generally looked the weak link for the entire match and his three sliced clearences could have cost us more than just the one goal.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but I can never imagine a team with him in the centre of the park on a regular basis promoted from this league

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If the idea was to have 2 defensive midfielders then Oscar needs to look at himself for not starting Ince as he is excellent at breaking up play and providing cover for the back 4.

For me I can excuse JFC for not bringing the player down on the half way line in the lead up to the penalty as this is inexperience and you will have noted some of the derby players did not make the same mistake when we were breaking free.

I think the issue for me with JFC is I don't see him developing as a player and if anything he is going backwards. This is not just last night in isolation but I am struggling to think of a match where he has really put his stamp on the game for a large part of proceedings. He tends to get lost or hides in games.

He is not 15 he is 20 and I would expect to see more from someone who to be fair has had a good share of appearances at this level. Take Jonathan Williams (also 20) as a good example of this.

Overall my general view is he is not ready to be playing at this level and Oscar selecting him is not helping his confidence. Oxford did not work out for whatever reason but I feel JFC needs time on loan at a strong league 1 outfit rather than being thrust under the microscope at the business end of the championship

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If...

- you don't think JFC is good enough to be playing, blame Oscar for playing him.
- you think Ince should be playing ahead of JFC, blame Oscar for playing him.
- you think JFC played the wrong style of game, blame Oscar for telling him how and where to play.
- you think abusing a young 20 year old who has just played in the biggest game of his career is the right thing to do, you are stupid.
- you think JFC didn't try as hard as he could last night, you are stupid.
- you were given an Albion shirt and told to go and give it your all, you wouldn't say "No, I think you should pick someone else".
I think you're being to simplistic the other way.

Oscar didn't (doesn't) send any professional footballer out on the pitch without having confidence in that players abilities.
It doesn't matter whether they are 20, 40 or 14, a first team pro has to be able to do the basics.
Last night JFC didn't.
Everyone makes mistakes, we are fortunate to not make them in front of 27k people.
Ideally everyone learns from those mistakes.

But the simple fact from last night is Jake didn't perform to his own standards.
That's not Oscar's fault.

However it did put Oscar in a terrible position, sub the kid off after 20 mins or at half time.
Not play him on Sunday, give him the full summer to stew on 'letting my team down'.
Hardly ideal for a 20 year old finding his way.
Oscar was right to play him through, lets not forget JFC started the move that lead to Ulloa's goal v Forest.

If he'd scored in the 85th minute he probably would have been named MotM :lol:

but you are also, frustrated, disappointed, angry & annoyed, not a great combination when staring at a t'internet message board.
Doesn't make it right, or surprising.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I want him to be a great player for us, but he doesn't seem to be able to move up a gear. I don't think he should be near starting crucial games like the one we are in now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that Oscar signs a player/players so that he can then be sent out on a long loan to a decent footballing Div 1 side like MK Dons or Posh to further his learnjng and then re assess when he gets back.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Who would you have played in his place? An out of form Ince? Lopez in a holding role? Stephens in a cast? March out of position? Crofts on crutches?...

Would take an out of form Ince over JFC every time.

JFC is hopelessly out of his depth at this level and yesterday his performance was poor and proved it, arguably he unwittingly played a part in both Derby goals, the wild shot followed, by the half-hearted attempt to tackle when Derby broke that ended up in a penalty, and for the second when he tried to shepherd the ball out near the corner and was out-muscled.

There is no way Ince would have lost a physical battle off form or not.

It is more damaging for JFC and the team for him to be continually played, when physically he is not up to it. He will develop further as he is still young but needs to go to a League 1 team.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If the idea was to have 2 defensive midfielders then Oscar needs to look at himself for not starting Ince as he is excellent at breaking up play and providing cover for the back 4.

For me I can excuse JFC for not bringing the player down on the half way line in the lead up to the penalty as this is inexperience and you will have noted some of the derby players did not make the same mistake when we were breaking free.

I think the issue for me with JFC is I don't see him developing as a player and if anything he is going backwards. This is not just last night in isolation but I am struggling to think of a match where he has really put his stamp on the game for a large part of proceedings. He tends to get lost or hides in games.

He is not 15 he is 20 and I would expect to see more from someone who to be fair has had a good share of appearances at this level. Take Jonathan Williams (also 20) as a good example of this.

Overall my general view is he is not ready to be playing at this level and Oscar selecting him is not helping his confidence. Oxford did not work out for whatever reason but I feel JFC needs time on loan at a strong league 1 outfit rather than being thrust under the microscope at the business end of the championship

Its not like he didn't try but was physically out-muscled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here