Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the first time ever I refused to pay the entrance fee

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
£39 is a ridiculous sum to watch 90 minutes of football, whatever the standard.

This, in buckets. Quite ridiculous. In the early 90s, it cost FIVE quid to watch Norwich in the old first division. The price of nothing else (apart from maybe houses...) has gone up by as much as that since then. A pint of beer was about two quid then.

Footballing equivalent of Last Days Of The Roman Empire. One day all of this shit will fall apart, nothing surer. Clubs will collapse like a house of cards.

Very possibly. But prompted by what?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very possibly. But prompted by what?

Some sort of verified match-fixing in the EPL would appear to be the most likely candidate. Tho remember when that ITV satellite thing went bust? The fallout was pretty wide-ranging. All I'm saying is, nothing lasts forever, and every bubble reaches a point where it bursts.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I've never understood this.

10 x POTG at £34 = £340
8 x POTG at £39 = £312

Why as a business would you deliberately put off any last minute custom before staging an event.

It makes no business sense whatsoever. No wonder they got themselves in the shit

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've never understood this.

10 x POTG at £34 = £340
8 x POTG at £39 = £312

Why as a business would you deliberately put off any last minute custom before staging an event.

It makes no business sense whatsoever. No wonder they got themselves in the shit

Because you have to find more people willing to pay a slightly less ridiculous price than you do for the more ridiculous price.

The die hards are all ready in. They bought their ticket early to make sure they got in. When it's coming down to pay on the gate your dealing with the less eager. Maybe you find 9 who are willing to go for £34, eight of them think "well, 39 is only five pound more". Do you charge 9 people £34 pound and tale £306, or do you bump it up to 39, lose one fan but take in £312?

It's not just about what brings in more, it's about how likely you are to achieve the figures you need to bring in more.

Sure, 10 people sounds easy. But you're trying to fill 1000 seats, or make enough money to pay for the opening of a 1000 seat section of the stadium. Maybe you need £3100 to break even. You can charge 100 people £34 but you're going to struggle to find 100 people who think £34 is a price they're willing to pay, but you can find 80 who are willing to pay £39

That balance will be found by looking at how successful pricing structures have been in the past.

Or to put it another way, if you're only going to get 8 people who show up, why charge them £34 and take £272 when you can charge them £39 and take £312?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They are paying Billy Sharp 20K a week and paid 500K fee for him, they are desperate to fund their poor spending policy.

With only 21K there they are going to struggle to fund the outgoings.

We must off all spent thousands watching our club play home and away, not sure I would have walked away even if I lived around the corner.

It makes you want to complain to someone but I doubt the FA or league have any power to investigate or change their club policy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here