Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the attention of Mr Barber

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
jesus wept. A bunch of grown men are up in arms about the club changing the pre match entertainment. I remember when we had marching bands, Glenn Miller like bands, carribean steel bands and even Slade. Don't remember anyone crying or writing to the local rag under the guise of 'Mr Angry from the North Stand' when they changed or stopped.

Like it or not, the club is a business and in that respect governed by the laws of supply and demand. You might like to live in a fairy tale land where the fans have the final say in what goes but that my friends is not the real world of professional football. If you don't like it then sod off to watch some non-league crap and join the committee of that club if having a say is what is important to you rather than what happens on the pitch. Everyone moaning about prices is a joke. I paid £32 to sit in a crap stand on a wooden seat at Selhurst with hole in the wall concessions. In WSU I have a great view, better choice of beer, a padded seat. I'm currently paying about £3 a game more than when I sat on crap plastic seats stacked on scaffolding watching a game in the pouring rain where the catering was basic greasy spoon burgers and hot dogs and you couldn't drink a beer. I got home a lot earlier because it doesn't take long for a crowd of 5k to disperse. Do I mind waiting for the park and ride bus now, yes. Would I swap it for what we had at Withdean, no. As for the Goldstone, I had a season ticket in the west stand with the aroma of toilets below wafting through the exits. For all its romance, it was in the end a delapidated dump. Would I swap what we have here for that? No.

There seems to be a lot of animosity just because the club will not entertain safe standing at the Amex, principally because they have spent a fortune on the ground. So you haven't got your way, live with it. Campaign to your MP and the law of the land may change and the likes of Aston Villa can convert what was once a spion cop back into one. If gates dropped enough and the Albion didn't sell the seats they might consider it, but I thought the response from PB reported on another thread was fair under the circumstances, think even Attilla can see the clubs point of view. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it but equally doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out of the pram.

NSC was probably born out of the need to campaign. It started with major issues to fight against but over the last few years it has not had anything to sink its teeth into and so every wannabe keyboard warrior now jumps up and down at the meerest perceived injustice. I hate to think of the outrage if they changed the brand of loo paper!!!!!

This is getting so dull that I am craving for the start of the transfer window just to read the inane posts from schoolboys about having seen Messi at the Grand or getting a cab from Gatwick.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think you may have to wait for the 2010/11 accounts/return to be published at Companies House in March and even then they may not show this level of detail. However, some of these underestimates may be directly attributable to supporters' actions/behaviour - eg:
Last season's travel vouchers; following constant whinging from some about the compulsory nature of the scheme whilst we were at Withdean the club switch to an "optional" scheme at the Amex. Scheme is largely ignored/avoided, I even remember some of the same posters from this, the Ticket Exchange Closure and Barber/Perry/Camillin/Attila/IBsF mtg threads gloating about not paying. Result: Serious revenue shortfall, compulsory scheme is re-introduced for 2012/13 and Amex ticket prices are increased.
On street parking; the club advises BHCC that this will not be a problem and requests fans not to park in the surrounding areas (eg Moulsecoomb and Coldean). A sliding scale financial penalty clause is included in the planning consent starting at 10% above normal parking. More fan whinging - "They can't stop me parking, it's not illegal", etc, etc and 650 extra parked cars are measured when the audit takes place. Result: Club gets "fined" so more unbudgeted expenditure, Controlled Parking Zone consultations initiated in both communities (paid for by the club) and likely to be introduced for 2013/14 season (all to be paid for by the club), and Amex ticket prices are increased.

thank you for an interesting summation. Looking in from the outside you might guess that some clauses and controls were allowed to slip in much the same "professional" manner as Northern Rock managing loan accounts and those involved left just as quickly albeit in both cases after the short and long term damage was done. Playing claw back on that little lot could be a lengthy and expensive process and win the new management no friends no matter how necessary. And of course, surmise apart, the story will never leave the boardroom and rightly so.

Not that any of this, interesting as it may be, has any relevance to the greater mystery of why our amateur (and therefore presumably cost free) dance troupe has seemingly been disbanded.

All of that aside I reckon Drew's is undoubtedly the post of the day. Well said mate :thumbsup:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I can't believe some of the accusations that are flying about without any evidence whatsoever. If you have a complaint about how the club is being run then complain to the club, don't just assume that it must be Barber's fault and campaign to get him sacked. I'd be extremely surprised if a single one of the changes that have been made since his arrival have been solely his decision, without any input from anyone else on the board. Infact there's every possibility he's not even made these decisions!

Some people.

Well if the club make changes/remove things, people will always make accusations.

In sure if there is a reasonable explanation for changes (IE axing GG) then it wouldn't be as bad, it's that the club isn't communicating with its "customers".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Negative to us but for his remit to earn extra profit you have to say he is doing what employed to.

Don't get me wrong , the bloke is damaging our club but he is only doing what he is employed to do as much as it pisses (me) and everyone off

Exactly. Bloom would get rid of him if he wasn't happy with the decisions he's making.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
jesus wept. A bunch of grown men are up in arms about the club changing the pre match entertainment. I remember when we had marching bands, Glenn Miller like bands, carribean steel bands and even Slade. Don't remember anyone crying or writing to the local rag under the guise of 'Mr Angry from the North Stand' when they changed or stopped.

Like it or not, the club is a business and in that respect governed by the laws of supply and demand. You might like to live in a fairy tale land where the fans have the final say in what goes but that my friends is not the real world of professional football. If you don't like it then sod off to watch some non-league crap and join the committee of that club if having a say is what is important to you rather than what happens on the pitch. Everyone moaning about prices is a joke. I paid £32 to sit in a crap stand on a wooden seat at Selhurst with hole in the wall concessions. In WSU I have a great view, better choice of beer, a padded seat. I'm currently paying about £3 a game more than when I sat on crap plastic seats stacked on scaffolding watching a game in the pouring rain where the catering was basic greasy spoon burgers and hot dogs and you couldn't drink a beer. I got home a lot earlier because it doesn't take long for a crowd of 5k to disperse. Do I mind waiting for the park and ride bus now, yes. Would I swap it for what we had at Withdean, no. As for the Goldstone, I had a season ticket in the west stand with the aroma of toilets below wafting through the exits. For all its romance, it was in the end a delapidated dump. Would I swap what we have here for that? No.

There seems to be a lot of animosity just because the club will not entertain safe standing at the Amex, principally because they have spent a fortune on the ground. So you haven't got your way, live with it. Campaign to your MP and the law of the land may change and the likes of Aston Villa can convert what was once a spion cop back into one. If gates dropped enough and the Albion didn't sell the seats they might consider it, but I thought the response from PB reported on another thread was fair under the circumstances, think even Attilla can see the clubs point of view. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it but equally doesn't mean you have to throw your toys out of the pram.

NSC was probably born out of the need to campaign. It started with major issues to fight against but over the last few years it has not had anything to sink its teeth into and so every wannabe keyboard warrior now jumps up and down at the meerest perceived injustice. I hate to think of the outrage if they changed the brand of loo paper!!!!!

This is getting so dull that I am craving for the start of the transfer window just to read the inane posts from schoolboys about having seen Messi at the Grand or getting a cab from Gatwick.

Well said. That's it perfectly summed up for me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Public enemy number one at present, the club moves on

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

yes.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Barber is all about turning the club into a thriving business. Myself I'd rather see a football team with Girly Mascots. But he is just doing his job. So whoever appointed
him should maybe take the blame.

So from me it's a BARBER OUT......:albion2: :albion: :albion:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like it or not, the club is a business and in that respect governed by the laws of supply and demand. You might like to live in a fairy tale land where the fans have the final say in what goes but that my friends is not the real world of professional football.

Not the real world of professional football? It is in Germany.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Quite right.

I don't think some people are truly happy unless they can find a cause to whinge about and campaign against.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But did we ever have 'fan power' back in the day? I can't remember anyone ever asking us, the fans, if we actually wanted a bunch of well-intentioned amateurs cavorting around at Withdean in a rather poor, village-fete impression of American cheerleaders. At best, a toe-curling, sexist embarrassment, this was always to be excused - as now - by the merest mention of their [admittedly laudable] work for charidee.

Now they've gone, it's open season on Barber, now held responsible for everything from the Black Death to the imminent return of the Antichrist. While he may have form on other questionable decisions, abandoning the cheesy amateur cheerleader market to West Ham and Crystal Palace is surely not one of them.

I'm sorry, but how is canning the Gullys Girls disrespecting our past?. Let's be honest, they were a bit shit and he was within his rights to put a stop to them. And this nonsense about them not appearing at the REMF - who cares? No one goes to the REMF to see the Gullys Girls anyway, and frankly even if they did it's not Barbers job to make REMF successful - he's paid to make BHAFC enough money to compete for the Premier League. People who moan presumably don't want us to buy any players in January? Or, more likely, they selfishly expect Bloom to raid his bank account again.

Missing the point entirely.

I have ultimate respect for Jo and the other gully's girls. I saw them sit at Withdean (in front of me in J block)watching the game in the freezing cold and pissing rain just like the rest of us did. They were one of us, pure and simple. When one of your own gets shat on do you just look the other way? I don't and I'm sure that's how others feel.

Personally I have no interest in entertainment at football and rarely saw GG's because I'm squeezing another pint in, but that is not the issue here. For me it is the slow chipping away at the soul of our club, the one that we all fought for. To unceremoniously cut a load of people who have worked hard for this club is just plain wrong.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I agree with all of the above.

Barber is just a pawn, it's his paymaster who makes the decisions, he just implements them! Why have a guard dog and bark yourself I think the old saying go's....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nothing to do with Gully's but on the broader issue.

I've been in the loyalty business for many years and most of our biggest and most recognisable companies spend a huge amount of money and time on it ... first to get customers and then to keep them.

Of course a football club is in a highly envious position as it doesn't have to do this, nothing more loyal than a football supporter! But it seems to me the club are abusing this privilege, perhaps just because they can? There is precious little interaction with it's customers, (some) decisions being made without consideration to their needs/wants, examples of bullying, and a general take it or leave it attitude which I find more than unpleasant.

Of course it's a commercial enterprise but there's a balance between chasing maximum revenue and providing value and customer satisfaction. Unfortunately I don't know of any precedent where a football club has alienated it's supporters to such an extent that it's hit them commercially (a few high level protests but no more) and so I think we might have to get used to it

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Yes. This.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mixed reaction on NSC seasoned with a nice amount of abuse. A lively debate. I guess it is part of operation " BHAFC Cash Cow " and a neccessary part of the culling, tweaking, target setting, profit making side of the club in order to reach the holy grail of the premiership.

More a Bank than a football club. To be fair Barber axing Azure was a correct decision for me but the club has lost some of it's soul for me and I find the whole premiership pretty soulless, dumbed down and sanistised. Maybe it is all part of why I am losing the passion. It is a brave new World now.

It was a topic for debate, views to be expressed and then move on. It is already today's chip wrapping. I am sure plenty of other things will happen which please and piss off the fans in equal measure and people have a right to express their opinions.

Stumpy Tim

Missing the point entirely.

I have ultimate respect for Jo and the other gully's girls. I saw them sit at Withdean (in front of me in J block)watching the game in the freezing cold and pissing rain just like the rest of us did. They were one of us, pure and simple. When one of your own gets shat on do you just look the other way? I don't and I'm sure that's how others feel.

Personally I have no interest in entertainment at football and rarely saw GG's because I'm squeezing another pint in, but that is not the issue here. For me it is the slow chipping away at the soul of our club, the one that we all fought for. To unceremoniously cut a load of people who have worked hard for this club is just plain wrong.

No - not missing the point at all actually. The Gully Girls had over a full season at The Amex, which I think is payback for their Withdean work. Maybe we tell Gus to start playing Kerry Mayo, Michel Kuipers and Gary Hart each week after all they did during the Withdean years? The point is, the club has moved on from those years - it's a new club and we can't keep looking back. It's time to move forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here