Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the attention of Mr Barber

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
While he may have form on other questionable decisions, abandoning the cheesy amateur cheerleader market to West Ham and Crystal Palace is surely not one of them.

Maybe.

But coupled with the other points already raised, he sure as hell isn't going to be very popular.

Perhaps he doesn't care if he's popular or not. Most successful businessmen don't.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Maybe.

But coupled with the other points already raised, he sure as hell isn't going to be very popular.

Perhaps he doesn't care if he's popular or not. Most successful businessmen don't.

Most don't because they don't have a choice whereas we can vote with our feet and should do.

Stumpy Tim

I'm sorry, but how is canning the Gullys Girls disrespecting our past?. Let's be honest, they were a bit shit and he was within his rights to put a stop to them. And this nonsense about them not appearing at the REMF - who cares? No one goes to the REMF to see the Gullys Girls anyway, and frankly even if they did it's not Barbers job to make REMF successful - he's paid to make BHAFC enough money to compete for the Premier League. People who moan presumably don't want us to buy any players in January? Or, more likely, they selfishly expect Bloom to raid his bank account again.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I'm sorry, but how is canning the Gullys Girls disrespecting our past?. Let's be honest, they were a bit shit and he was within his rights to put a stop to them. And this nonsense about them not appearing at the REMF - who cares? No one goes to the REMF to see the Gullys Girls anyway, and frankly even if they did it's not Barbers job to make REMF successful - he's paid to make BHAFC enough money to compete for the Premier League. People who moan presumably don't want us to buy any players in January? Or, more likely, they selfishly expect Bloom to raid his bank account again.

a lot of people going well overboard here

At last, some sense.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

A sensible response.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wonder if anyone knows just how much underestimating the cost of the transport infrastructure and issues such as overstaffing have cost the club and just how deeply they might have bitten into football budgets? Certainly enough to require boardroom changes.

I'm not sure whether that could be realistically addressed without fans/customers being affected or is something we would be prepared to give cogniscance to?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I wonder if anyone knows just how much underestimating the cost of the transport infrastructure and issues such as overstaffing have cost the club and just how deeply they might have bitten into football budgets? Certainly enough to require boardroom changes.

I'm not sure whether that could be realistically addressed without fans/customers being affected or is something we would be prepared to give cogniscance to?

This may be true. So why not just say it? Are we all in this together or not? With our history, the one thing we don't like is secrecy.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Personally I am pretty glad they have gone as I am not a fan of cheer-leaders in football. It is too American and just one step-away from goal music. Plus, if we really were to have cheer-leaders then we should have done it properly.

Now I am still quite cautious about Paul Barber as he was at The FA when they wanted to rid the likes of me travelling to watch England. But I have to give him a fresh start now that he is at the Albion. So I do think it is quite unfair the stick he is getting over the Gully's Girls episode, especially when I think it is a good thing!...And it would seem there are far more pressing matters for us fans to take issue with than the axeing of the clubs amatuer cheer-leading group.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Said in a previous forum.The more I hear about this man and reading some of his comments is really peeing me off.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I know fans plus a couple of employee's at Vancouver Whitecaps. He was less than popular during his time there & trod on plenty of toes with unpopular decisions, of which most were done with no consultation to the fanbase. As I remember, one example was radically changing the home kit in order to appease a sponsor. Imagine if the Albion were 'required' to change their kit to blue & red stripes for example, in order to please a sponsor? :ohmy:

The Albion, have always been 'different' as a club, particularly since the troubles of the 1990's. Whilst the club has to move on from those troubled times, nothing will alienate fans more than for them to think they are little more than a cash cow to be squeezed. Fans in general, want a community based club that they can feel part of, not some corporate money making machine. Balancing the books & remaining a 'fans club' is a balancing act. The story of A.I.T.C. being squeezed is disgraceful if (?) true.

Barber claimed to have read 'Build a Bonfire' prior to his hiring in order to get a feel for the club. Maybe he needs to read it again?

Spot on :thumbsup:

Considering the fans kept this club alive, I think the club needs to still involve the fans in some of these decisions, rather than it be a dictorship. Yes, we want a financially stable football club, but telling the fans what they should have is wrong, without any consultation. Or, am I living in cloud-cockoo land??

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
This may be true. So why not just say it? Are we all in this together or not? With our history, the one thing we don't like is secrecy.

I get what you are saying but I suspect the days when half of NSC seemed to be privy to what goes on in the boardroom are long gone. My somewhat rhetorical questions are based on observation, experience and surmise rather than absolute knowledge. I would love to think that club insiders shared your approach but I think it is slightly disingenuous which is perhaps why Bloom retains the aura of being first and foremost a fan while employing Barber to ensure that the business is on a sound financial footing day by day.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Whoops, my eyes have gone and thats a complete spelling cuck up :lolol:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I get what you are saying but I suspect the days when half of NSC seemed to be privy to what goes on in the boardroom are long gone. My somewhat rhetorical questions are based on observation, experience and surmise rather than absolute knowledge. I would love to think that club insiders shared your approach but I think it is slightly disingenuous which is perhaps why Bloom retains the aura of being first and foremost a fan while employing Barber to ensure that the business is on a sound financial footing day by day.

Absolutely spot on. Look where we were when we were being run like a village club. Bloom has come in and spent allot of money so he expects the club to be run in a professional manner. He's employed people that he feels are going to do that. I'm willing to bet Mr Bloom is far more successful than anyone on this board so I'm backing his judgement and not some creepy bloke who is crying into his wank sock because he's got rid of some cheerleaders that are meant for kids!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
7 pages and still nobody seems to have confirmed just what exactly has happened to gullys girls.

Is this whole character assassination based on rumour and innuendo?
Doees anybody actually know for sure?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
7 pages and still nobody seems to have confirmed just what exactly has happened to gullys girls.

This is the point for me. I don't think it's a matter of whether you like GG or not, it's the fact that we haven't been told and that's what worries me about Barber.

If he thinks its ok to just get rid of them without explanation or any feedback from the fans, it strikes me he's just a corporate hatchet man. There could easily have been an explanation in his copious programme notes

I think you may have to wait for the 2010/11 accounts/return to be published at Companies House in March and even then they may not show this level of detail. However, some of these underestimates may be directly attributable to supporters' actions/behaviour - eg:
Last season's travel vouchers; following constant whinging from some about the compulsory nature of the scheme whilst we were at Withdean the club switch to an "optional" scheme at the Amex. Scheme is largely ignored/avoided, I even remember some of the same posters from this, the Ticket Exchange Closure and Barber/Perry/Camillin/Attila/IBsF mtg threads gloating about not paying. Result: Serious revenue shortfall, compulsory scheme is re-introduced for 2012/13 and Amex ticket prices are increased.
On street parking; the club advises BHCC that this will not be a problem and requests fans not to park in the surrounding areas (eg Moulsecoomb and Coldean). A sliding scale financial penalty clause is included in the planning consent starting at 10% above normal parking. More fan whinging - "They can't stop me parking, it's not illegal", etc, etc and 650 extra parked cars are measured when the audit takes place. Result: Club gets "fined" so more unbudgeted expenditure, Controlled Parking Zone consultations initiated in both communities (paid for by the club) and likely to be introduced for 2013/14 season (all to be paid for by the club), and Amex ticket prices are increased.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

edit: been pointed to the "Jimmy Saville" thread to clarify that GG are indeed no more and it appears the many "tongue in cheek" pervy posts on here may have played a part in their demise.

Ah well. You reap what you sow (at least if "we are brighton's" blog is reasonably to be believed). At least we can be assured this is not a financial decision as we are assured that the girls gave of their time and effort on a purely voluntary basis so let's not confuse or cross over issues folks.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I can't believe some of the accusations that are flying about without any evidence whatsoever. If you have a complaint about how the club is being run then complain to the club, don't just assume that it must be Barber's fault and campaign to get him sacked. I'd be extremely surprised if a single one of the changes that have been made since his arrival have been solely his decision, without any input from anyone else on the board. Infact there's every possibility he's not even made these decisions!

Some people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here