Footballer jailed for elbow incident

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/loca...0.footballer_jailed_for_elbowing_opponent.php

A footballer who elbowed an opponent in the face during a Sunday league match has been jailed for 15 months.

Asa Holman smashed his arm into the face of defender Robert Heald as the pair raced to the ball during a game at Pease Pottage.

Heald collapsed with a broken cheek bone caused by the sudden blow.
And today Holman, 28, was sent to prison for the violent assault.

When he was arrested after the game Holman told police: "You must be joking. It was not GBH, it was on a football pitch".

Lewes Crown Court heard Mr Heald was playing for the Millennium League 2000 side Orange Square while right winger Holman was playing for Pease Pottage FC during a game in April 2005.

As the two men chased after the ball Mr Heald was struck on the right cheek and had to be substituted.

The Orange Square manager Pat Hobden insisted Holman should be taken off or the match would be abandoned.

Mr Heald at first thought he had a black eye but later suffered headaches, numbness and loss of control of facial muscles.

At hospital he had a CT scan which revealed the fractured cheek as well as inter-cranial bleeding.

Previous hearings were told that Holman had been acting aggressively during the game and had been abusive towards the linesman.

Holman, of Thornhill Road, Southgate, Crawley, was arrested in March 2006 and ordered to report to police three times a week as part of his bail conditions.

But he got a friend to report for him on two occasions in April.

Holman admitted wounding and perverting the course of justice.

The court heard Holman was addicted to crack cocaine in 2005 but stopped taking the drug earlier this year when his girlfriend became pregnant.

Earlier hearings were told how this led Holman to "fear for his own safety and that of the public" if he left his own house.

Emma Reed, defending, said Holman did not intend to cause Heald serious injury.

She said: "He is remorseful."

Recorder Ian Wilson told Holman: "While it happened during a football match, nevertheless it was a criminal offence."

The chairman of Pease Pottage FC, Ryan Sallows, said the Sunday league club that Holman had been playing for was not associated with the Saturday league club of that name despite the fact they shared a pitch.

The Sunday side took the name because it shared Pease Pottage's ground but it no longer plays at the site.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Holman, of Thornhill Road, Southgate, Crawley, was arrested in March 2006 and ordered to report to police three times a week as part of his bail conditions.

But he got a friend to report for him on two occasions in April.

I think this is far more the reason why he's gone down for it; its somewhat strange that an on-pitch incident went to the police without an FA investigation beforehand, but the fact that he broke bail/probationary terms makes a separate criminal offence.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
its somewhat strange that an on-pitch incident went to the police without an FA investigation beforehand

Is it?

Take this a step (or two) further. A player comes onto the pitch with a gun and shoots an opposing player. Do the police wait for the FA to conclude any inquiry before taking criminal proceedings?

In fact I really don't see that the FA and the police have any connection at all in matters like this. For a start it could well be that this incident was not even given as a foul (maybe the referee missed it) in which case the FA may not have any involvement at all.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Is it?

Take this a step (or two) further. A player comes onto the pitch with a gun and shoots an opposing player. Do the police wait for the FA to conclude any inquiry before taking criminal proceedings?

In fact I really don't see that the FA and the police have any connection at all in matters like this. For a start it could well be that this incident was not even given as a foul (maybe the referee missed it) in which case the FA may not have any involvement at all.

Erm... good point; although I don't really think that a gun is something likely to be used in a tackle; possibly a contract killing though...

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Erm... good point; although I don't really think that a gun is something likely to be used in a tackle; possibly a contract killing though...

Can imagine the Russians behind the goal all shouting "Shoot!"

What?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone who plays for Orange Square must, by definition, be a bit of a PONCE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The court heard Holman was addicted to crack cocaine in 2005 but stopped taking the drug earlier this year when his girlfriend became pregnant.

Earlier hearings were told how this led Holman to "fear for his own safety and that of the public" if he left his own house.

So was the game played at Pease Pottage, or the guys front room.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It was a mixture between Owens effort in 98, Keane's against Brighton and also Beckham against Greece.

Its up there with the best goals evers scored.

Shame it was 0-7 at the time.

I seem to recall you commiting a viscious foul during that match and getting away with just a yellow card

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is far more the reason why he's gone down for it; its somewhat strange that an on-pitch incident went to the police without an FA investigation beforehand, but the fact that he broke bail/probationary terms makes a separate criminal offence.

I know Bob Heald, he's a great guy and a Brighton season ticket holder. The story is not quite as recorded, the offence was off the ball and the guy hit Bob from behind so he didn't have a chance to defend himself. He suffered severe headaches, blackouts and sickness for weeks as a result of this cowardly and vicious attack. We should all be pleased that this animal is off the streets for a while.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know Bob Heald, he's a great guy and a Brighton season ticket holder. The story is not quite as recorded, the offence was off the ball and the guy hit Bob from behind so he didn't have a chance to defend himself. He suffered severe headaches, blackouts and sickness for weeks as a result of this cowardly and vicious attack. We should all be pleased that this animal is off the streets for a while.

word

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports