Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football rumours

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stephens has a year left, In which time we may be challenging again. It could be revisited then, though I accept the gamble of other clubs offering better terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
From past history with Murray & Barnes, we don't offer better contracts once offered. It's sign the first renewal or go.

Do we really know any of this for certain? None of us are privy to the contract negotiation process at the Albion, and much of this 'past history' is based on speculation and conjecture.

It is highly likely that we have a wage structure at the club, and Premier League clubs (or those with parachute payments) will always be in a position to offer higher wages than we can. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't a 'negotiation' process in place.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
i get the impression that Dunk has a publicity loving agent and always touts Lewis at transfer time. it's all a bit boring really - mind you could you imagine the hilarity of a Dunk/Stones combination when they both have their 'moments'? I do actually think that we could do better than Dunk.

Surely Lewis Dunk has to be one of the best centre backs in the Championship? Everton, allegedly, wouldn't be interested in him if he wasn't.

Yes, like all players he has his 'moments' as you put it, but for me at least, the Dunk/Goldson combination is about the best that there is.

So no, l really don't think we could do any better than Dunky.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Surely Lewis Dunk has to be one of the best centre backs in the Championship? Everton, allegedly, wouldn't be interested in him if he wasn't.

Yes, like all players he has his 'moments' as you put it, but for me at least, the Dunk/Goldson combination is about the best that there is.

Another young centre back who has his moments is Chris Smalling (age 26, 135 appearances for United and the current occupant of the England No.5 shirt). Dunk is a fabulous player prone to the occasional **** up - but he still is only 24 with 130 odd appearances in (mostly) Championship football. Keep hold of him at all costs and with Goldson they'll give us the formation to challenge for the title.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Admirable sentiments and I agree in large part but Dunk is still prone to major misjudgements in the majority of games.
I would love to see him stay for another season to show that he can cut down on the kamikaze moments and be as consistently good as we think he could be. We certainly don't have anyone as capable of being outstanding to replace him with Hunemeier looking to lack a little height but if Dunk's suitors were to offer something irresistible I would be slapping a bid in for Curtis Nelson at Plymouth who looks to have all the essential attributes.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Dunk is our best centre half by some way i have always said it, even when he was having his "dodgy" spell.
His passing and ability on the ball sets him apart from most. I would be staggered if he did not leave us for a premier league side this summer.

I would go so far as to say he is under rated.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He signed an improved contract. There wasn't an indication that he turned down our improved offer, for it to be improved further.

To be fair contracts don't mean a thing. They are just a way to formalise a level of compensation for managers and transfer fees for players.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Dunk is our best centre half by some way i have always said it, even when he was having his "dodgy" spell.
His passing and ability on the ball sets him apart from most. I would be staggered if he did not leave us for a premier league side this summer.

Agreed Marshy. Along with his goal threat, he really is a premier league player in waiting.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
That site is #TwatsGalore :lolol: These are all from the last week, making up about 80% of the posts on there:

Jay Emanuel Thomas is set to sign for Portsmouth, with others inbound, the likes of tshabalaba, former birmingham striker nicola zigic.

Pompey interested in lomana lualua rejoining as well as john utaka however main target is room Doyle or paddy madden.

Paul cook (Portsmouth manager) has turned to Antony Stokes as a striking alternate target, the irish striker is able to play on wings or behind the striker. A fall in form saw him loaned to hibs last year, and the celtic man is set to ditch scotland for a new start in the football league.

Also Portsmouth set to sign Jamie Devitt who has been in Portsmouth today (Signed for Carlisle).

Just seen Ex-chesterfield winger and former Morecambe player Jamie Devitt in Gunwharf. The Irish Winger was in a restaurant with Manager Paul Cook and assistant Leam Richardson. (He signed for Carlisle).

Kieron Freemon and Lee Novak set to join Pompey in the next week.

Portsmouth look set to sign the Proact stadium, as well as all of chesterfields assets.

Pompey are to sign Danny Rose from Northampton on a two year contract when his deal with the league two champions expires at the end of the month,

Portsmouth will announce Eoin Doyle along with their 2016/ 2017 kit next week, a lot of rumours saying there is 3 top quality players coming in at Fratton Park this doesn't seem to be the case but Cook is more than willing to bring a few lads in to the club to improve the squads depth.

Portsmouth have been in long talks with a huge signing, this is the reason for the delay in the lauch of the new kits, however this is not danny rose. The player is a
Former world beater, part of an ac milan side that faced portsmouth.

:lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

We have not got a replacement. How much wages do you think Everton would have to pay?. Dunk seems like a young Jagielka who I do not rate all that much.

I think Dunk can improve. If we had a covering defensive midfielder, Dunk could venture forward more when the opposition is man-marking and there is no pass is on. If we can get he players we need Dunky would be better off staying.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We have not got a replacement. How much wages do you think Everton would have to pay?. Dunk seems like a young Jagielka who I do not rate all that much.

I think Dunk can improve. If we had a covering defensive midfielder, Dunk could venture forward more when the opposition is man-marking and there is no pass is on. If we can get he players we need Dunky would be better off staying.

no idea on wages... id want a fee of around 7.5m

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think replacing either Dunk or Goldson would be incredibly differcult.
Both have pace and great passing ability as well as strength. Both strong in the air. They are prone to the odd lapse but they are only human. They compliment each other so well and both are still so young. If we kept them both and they were for most of the season injury free then we would be in a great place.
Not many clubs in our division can say that they have 2 CB prob worth £7-10 million in today's market each. Both could be PL players and both I personally think if they played a number of PL games would potentially play for England

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think you will be lucky to hold on to Goldson. Dunk? I still don't think he's up to the Premiership.
Goldson turned down a move to the PL last year. He may not be in a total rush to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here