Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football rivalries

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Apparently Chester v Wrexham is pretty tasty. Read about a Chester fan living in Wrexham who lives near Racecourse ground. Because of the cage, for the away game at Wrexham he had to drive to Chester to get the fans bus to Wrexham, then bus back to Chester after the game so he could drive home to his house.

Oct 25, 2003
newcastle-sunderland is intense and is another where the cities have a rivalry also

Both clubs are similar sizes, tend to be in the same division and have similar levels of success historically. I think the fact that both clubs have been shit for absolutely ages has made it more intense as both sets of fans only really have the derby to look forward to all season

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Carlise and Hartlepool

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Leeds-Chelsea

Went to see Forest v Sunderland a couple of times and that was quite feisty owing to enmities dating back to the miners' strike.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
One thing I have noticed when I have been stay in Bristol is the lack of fans wearing replica shirts of City or Rovers.
I stayed in Bristol all weekend and saw nobody wearing Citys colours until I was on the bus to Ashton gate.
In the summer I thought I might have noticed people wearing a City or Rovers t shirt or see the odd replica shirt.

Even on non match days in Brighton and surrounding areas I see people wearing Albion shirts or polo shirts etc

Yep its something I really hate, apparently Bristol sells the most Liverpool replica shirts in the country (ahead of Liverpool even), I'd much rather see every kid in Bristol in a Rovers shirt than in Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea shirts etc

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Went to see Forest v Sunderland a couple of times and that was quite feisty owing to enmities dating back to the miners' strike.

that's interesting,I knew of the Mansfield-Chesterfield miner's strike link,but they are rivals geographically anyway

I'd imagine there's a few more examples related to the miner's strike too

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWjmtMPuzA

Was there for that match and a load of drunk Wealdstone fans were wound up by songs taking the piss out of the Raider. All the games since have been segregated which is unusual at that level of football. Though Whitehawk fans seem to hate Bognor and Eastbourne Borough a lot more than Wealdstone; the Wealdstone fans seem to have a real bee in their bonnet about Whitehawk.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Liverpool v Man Utd. The 2 most decorated clubs in English football, only about 20 miles apart. United, have 2 more league titles, while Liverpool have won 5 European cups to United's 3.

20? more like double that I'd have thought.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
20? more like double that I'd have thought.

I think it's actually around 30 miles between the two stadiums. Could argue that it's only 20 miles being some of the fans local to each stadium though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nah!

nothing like the Dockers winning at the crouch on Boxing Day

Peacehaven is just a small town in Telscombe :lol:

:D Seaford are way behind Newhaven these days, and they haven't got any old Withdean Stadium seats in their public recreation ground, sorry I mean stadium :whistle:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yep its something I really hate, apparently Bristol sells the most Liverpool replica shirts in the country (ahead of Liverpool even), I'd much rather see every kid in Bristol in a Rovers shirt than in Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea shirts etc

Be careful what you wish for :)

When I went to junior school in the 70s, most of the lads in my class supported Liverpool, and I went to school in the middle of Brighton.
I know Liverpool were very successful back then but I don't remember anyone supporting a London team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here