Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football rivalries

el punal

My girlfriend is from Portsmouth, and she used be a ST holder there. The word 'Southampton' is like a swear word to a lot of people in Portsmouth. They haven't played each other for a while because of Portsmouth's drop through the divisions, but the hatred still lingers.

The animosity sprung up in the late 1940s when workers at the Naval Dockyard in Portsmouth went on strike, dockers from Southampton were hired as "scab" labour and the resentment grew from there on in. In football terms the rivalry/hate only came to the surface in the late 1960s and early 1970s, as was the case with most football rivalries. If you think about, in those days prior to 1967 for example, most fans just watched their team at home so away support would be almost non-existent.

Having lived in Portsmouth, and now in Southampton, (Brighton of course being the best!), I find the rivalry amusing being a neutral. I must admit though, in my view, that Pompey fans do seem to have a much bigger chip on their shoulder than Saints. Perhaps this is down to recent history where Southampton have definitely been the more successful club in status - we'll put aside Portsmouth's purchase of the FA Cup in 2008!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That list with our main rivals and Southampton as third , really don't see that we in have rarely played them compared to day others like Aldershot, Orient and even I believe we had a tasty rivalry with Luton. Meh I hate a lot of teams for various reasons.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sadly, no matter how much we as supporters wish to cling onto the concept of good old blood and thunder Derby clashes, they are rapidly becoming a thing of the past for a number of reasons.

First, the sheer number of foreign players on the pitch means the intensity in the stands is no longer replicated by the action on the pitch. Proper Derby games used to see a few spicy challenges in the first few minutes and an 'edge' to the play that didn't exist in other fixtures. Nowadays, most of the players regard these games as no different to other fixtures. Liverpool vs. Man Utd the other month for example was drab, safety-first encounter - a million miles away from the games that featured the Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, Beckham, Carragher, Gerrard et al. They cared about these games just as much as the supporters in a way that today's Carlos Kick-a-Balls - regardless of how talented they are - never can.

Second - modern refereeing has killed the Derby game. It used to be that refs would tolerate a few tough challenges in Derbies - recognising the elevated stakes of the game. Now they have no such leeway and what previously might have been just a word in the ear or a yellow is a straight red and so the games lack the intensity that used to separate them as something special.

Finally, the demands of TV or police requests means that Derbies now tend to played on a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime. A good old Derby game needs to be 3pm Saturday, but this is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

As supporters we still try to maintain the rivalries that have existed down the years, but club recruitment, refereeing, the demands of TV and the police doesn't make it any easier.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Definitely NOT this. I was on a PNE board a month ago where some of their fans were wondering whether it follows that Blackpool are even their #1 rival. Blackburn is their closest rival club, for example and a lot of them can't stand Rovers more than Blackpool.

Blackburn v Burnley is an excellent shout though.

Yes mate, but some of this is almost said retrospectively. How many of West Ham's support come from docker generations. Some for sure, but not a majority.

PNE really do hate Blackpool. Lots of their fans at work and We sponsored their kit last couple of seasons so spent lots of time around the club. The majority are far less bothered with Burnley/Blackburn and despise Blackpool. You could go on cpfc.org and some dong is usually questioning our rivalry.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
A little known but monster one for those involved is Chester v Wrexham. Away fans banned from the last one despite morning k.o

I have also been at Swansea v Cardiff

Also, last time Newcastle played Sunderland, someone punched a horse.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
PNE really do hate Blackpool. Lots of their fans at work and We sponsored their kit last couple of seasons so spent lots of time around the club. The majority are far less bothered with Burnley/Blackburn and despise Blackpool. You could go on cpfc.org and some dong is usually questioning our rivalry.

I used to drink with a Preston fan when he lived down here, was always going on about hating Blackpool, never mentioned Blackburn or Burnley.
Preston fans also sing the song with the line " Go get your fathers gun and shoot down the Blackpool scum "

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think us v rovers is a bit different, its north v south Bristol, very few city fans live in north Bristol and very few rovers fans live south of the river.

Don't quite know why I'm still here either tbf but our forum is just doom and gloom over Saturday so I'm a bit bored haha

One thing I have noticed when I have been stay in Bristol is the lack of fans wearing replica shirts of City or Rovers.
I stayed in Bristol all weekend and saw nobody wearing Citys colours until I was on the bus to Ashton gate.
In the summer I thought I might have noticed people wearing a City or Rovers t shirt or see the odd replica shirt.

Even on non match days in Brighton and surrounding areas I see people wearing Albion shirts or polo shirts etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here