Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Football ground food

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Shameful really

What’s on the other side of the pattie though?

I’m never going to defend football food as value for money. Think it’s now a tenner for a cheeseburger outside the Amex ie £3 more than inside. Someone correct me if wrong mind, but seem to recall from couple months ago.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
What’s on the other side of the pattie though?

I’m never going to defend football food as value for money. Think it’s now a tenner for a cheeseburger outside the Amex ie £3 more than inside. Someone correct me if wrong mind, but seem to recall from couple months ago.
Sadly bought one from outside last night, if the burgers got any smaller then they would be ’fun sized’

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The thing with football food costs Id love to know is how much the club or stadium operators (at Withdean) are forcing up the cost by “rent”?

For example, if the club were to demand £2k per match per private Caterer (not talking about inside the stadium which Sodexo operate) you’ve got to sell a lot of burgers at a high price before breaking even or making a profit. Or do the club receive a pay back according to profit? Who knows, I certainly don’t, there’s lots of different models.

What I do know from years in industry is back at the Withdean back in the day when we bought a hot dog for £4, you could buy a box of 80 sausages for £7-8 Wholesale. Add buns, ketchup and energy costs blah blah…anyway it was still a very healthy ‘profit’ per hot dog. However what if the operators charged the club and Caterer equivalent of £3 per hot dog?

Same at festivals etc. People see everything as a ‘rip off’ but how much for the field footprint are these independent Caterers being charged by the ‘Landowners’ and Organisers I wonder just to be there? Is it Day 2 at say 2pm that they finally start to return a profit I wonder? All things considered.

Who knows, it is a total bun fight out there though I do know that. Caterers getting unbelievable stick for ‘ripping’ people off when it’s anything but. Margins have been squeezed to the bone on actual food prices. Wonder what profit on service thereafter is, and what costs are most of all, the ‘rent’ are playing in this?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I wonder if there's any value in a football club just knocking up a cheap as f*** beige buffet and having it in the concourse. Plate given to you upon entry and you can help yourself

one of those cheap nasty ones like that place on north street, you know the type. Fill your plate with chow mein, lasagna, pasta salad, weird "curry", whatever you want. Cuisines from all over the world

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
dfg1.jpg

Bombay sandwich - Balti pie and a samosa with mint and chilli sauce in a roll at FC United of Manchester - 3 notes to you.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Eastbourne Borough advertising "Piglets Pies" for apparently good value £4 a go last night.

Can see Piglets Pantry branded paper bagged produce in the heated cabinet. All good so far...

Go back to place watching game and open up bag to enjoy the familiar chunks of well seasoned chicken, gammon and leek in crusty pastry - only to find inside the cheapest of oval shaped supermarket pies. Thin pastry filled with what might as well have been chicken and mushroom soup.

Much to Moshe Jnr's amusement I did go back and made some polite enquiries of the vendor but stopped short at the offer to "speak to a manager". Hopefully EBFC will correct this abhorration before the next home match.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Eastbourne Borough advertising "Piglets Pies" for apparently good value £4 a go last night.

Can see familar Piglets Pantry branded paper bagged produce in the heated cabinet. All good so far...

Go back to place watching game and open up bag to enjoy the familar chunks of well seasoned chicken, gammon and leek in crusty pastry - only to find inside the cheapest of oval shaped supermarket pies. Thin pastry filled with what might as well have been chicken and mushroom soup.

Much to Moshe Jnr's amusement I did go back and made some polite enquiries of the vendor but stopped short at the offer to "speak to a manager". Hopefully EBFC will correct this abhorration before the next home match.
I'd have thought that advertising "Piglets Pies" and not actually selling pies produced by Piglets bakery would be a somewhat more legal issue than that, if indeed they were a cheaper alternative...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'd have thought that advertising "Piglets Pies" and not actually selling pies produced by Piglets bakery would be a somewhat more legal issue than that, if indeed they were a cheaper alternative...

Well, yes.

I really couldn't be bothered to make more of a fuss last night but having shelled out £8 on two of the things I really didn't enjoy feeling like a bit of a mug and that someone higher up the EBFC food chain might be congratulating themselves on their cleverness and increased catering profit....

Perhaps it will leak back to Piglets somehow from putting on here and/or the person I raised it with will follow through on their promise to pass on my comments.

Either way it shouldn't continue.

Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here