Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Food waste at the Amex

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I guess reducing everything down to a £1 at the end of the game might risk people waiting until then to get a pie for the way home rather than pay full whack.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My brother bought a cheeseburger in WSU last night and when he unwrapped it, there was just a slice of cheese and a gherkin in a slightly warmed up bun, no burger at all.
Not sure on the relevance of this story, just thought I'd share as it made us chuckle at the time.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Ran out of cheese burgers last night so I opted for a plain one, took one bite and binned it, it was awful....Don't usually eat at the ground be went straight from work....won't be rushing to eat there again.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
My brother bought a cheeseburger in WSU last night and when he unwrapped it, there was just a slice of cheese and a gherkin in a slightly warmed up bun, no burger at all.
Not sure on the relevance of this story, just thought I'd share as it made us chuckle at the time.

Ran out of cheese burgers last night so I opted for a plain one, took one bite and binned it, it was awful....Don't usually eat at the ground be went straight from work....won't be rushing to eat there again.
Looks like he had a close escape!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you've just stumbled onto a marketing idea there. The "Piglet's Walking Home Pie'. I'm in!
Me leaving t'amex with my 'cycling home pies'.

610x.jpg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sadly, yes.

Not sure why they can't be driven into town so that people on the streets know there's a B&H pie shop on match days.
If we really are all about " community " this should be made to happen

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Food safety laws prevent this, if you asked at any fast food joint on a daily basis you'd find at least 10 to 20% of all food prepared goes to waste.
Which specific law(s) stops you transporting a pie from the AMEX to a homeless shelter? If there’s a will, they’ll be a way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Which specific law(s) stops you transporting a pie from the AMEX to a homeless shelter? If there’s a will, they’ll be a way.
This. What's to stop a van from a homeless shelter rocking up at the Amex and being stocked up with excess pies directly out of the kiosks while they're still warm? Somebody would be very very grateful for the gift of a warm pie on a cold night. As you say, where there's a will there's a way

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
This. What's to stop a van from a homeless shelter rocking up at the Amex and being stocked up with excess pies directly out of the kiosks while they're still warm? Somebody would be very very grateful for the gift of a warm pie on a cold night. As you say, where there's a will there's a way
Or use the drone flying over the ground.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They should sell them at cost after the match, I would buy some and take them home.
Why can't the club or whoever collect them pronto after the match and go to a designated point in town and dish them straight out to the public, good bit of PR for the club in these cold winter months it would be welcome.
That's a good idea. If for example they had loads left over they could mention on the tannoy some food could be available to take home at the end of the match - say a box of 6 sausage rolls or 4 pies for a reduced price then the club could recoup some money and save it going to waste. Could one of the panel bring this up at the next meeting?

Having taken 2 hours to get to the match and arriving just before kick-off I tried to buy something to eat in WSU (north end kiosk), they had nothing left apart from a few lukewarm Cheeseburgers.

Presumably they cooked a load more for half time but I didn't go back to try again.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Remember getting a train back from the Amex in the earlier years and there was one of the catering staff on there with a black sack absolutely chock full of unsold pies.
Yeah, at Sussex Uni, friends who worked the kiosks would arrive back at East Slope bar with sacks full of pies. Hand them out to all the students to help us soak up the Old Rosie and cheap lager. It was a happy time.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Make sense just to give them away rather than chucking them in the bin doesn't it?

Happens at racecourses.
There was an away game (Huddersfield?) a few years back where the caterers were handing out pies for free at the end of the game.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yeah, at Sussex Uni, friends who worked the kiosks would arrive back at East Slope bar with sacks full of pies. Hand them out to all the students to help us soak up the Old Rosie and cheap lager. It was a happy time.
When I worked behind the bar at Falmer a few times about 10years ago we'd get a free leftover pie or two as they were tidying up.
That is, if you weren't sent home already to cut down on how many people they needed to pay. There's only so many people who can productively mop up behind a bar.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They sold surplus food after Huddersfield away a few years back as you walked out the stadium, £1 for meat and potato pie and blooding nice as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here