Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Food waste at the Amex

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
My daughter works on matchdays in the kiosks and last night from their one kiosk alone (I won't say which stand) they threw away nearly 100 pies and sausage rolls because they're cooked and can't be given to food banks, etc. Multiply that across all of the kiosks in the Amex and that's a lot of grub going to waste.

Yes, the attendance was down and probably goes a long way to explaining the leftovers but still, you would have thought someone could have rounded up all the food and taken it down to a homeless shelter.

Just seems wrong.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
We have a scratch bakery at work and can’t give any fresh baked in store items to Too Good To Go or our charity partners. It’s mainly due to items coming loose and out of packaging meaning there is no allergen information attached.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Food safety laws prevent this, if you asked at any fast food joint on a daily basis you'd find at least 10 to 20% of all food prepared goes to waste.
Exactly this unfortunately

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They should sell them at cost after the match, I would buy some and take them home.
Why can't the club or whoever collect them pronto after the match and go to a designated point in town and dish them straight out to the public, good bit of PR for the club in these cold winter months it would be welcome.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We were talking about that in WSL after the game, there was absolutely loads of food left and wondered what happens to it.
At M&S a charity Van comes daily just before closing to collect just in date that can’t be sold the next day in store.

I guess there are dangers in reheating pies that have been left out to long especially chicken I would imagine.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
They should sell them at cost after the match, I would buy some and take them home.
Why can't the club or whoever collect them pronto after the match and go to a designated point in town and dish them straight out to the public, good bit of PR for the club in these cold winter months it would be welcome.
My daughter said the number of people at the end of the game asking for discounted pies, etc, is always high. Would make sense to at least get some return on them if they can't give them to charities.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My daughter said the number of people at the end of the game asking for discounted pies, etc, is always high. Would make sense to at least get some return on them if they can't give them to charities.
Not if it meant everyone waiting for a 'walking home pie'.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
If they did that I would always wait until post match and get 2 for 1 pies, instead of getting a pie at HT.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Make sense just to give them away rather than chucking them in the bin doesn't it?

Happens at racecourses.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not if it meant everyone waiting for a 'walking home pie'.
Ooooooooooooh......

I love that expression, sounds something like Bob Mortimer might say, like his car meat.

"walking home pie"
homer-simpson-the-simpsons.gif

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
There was a time when they did this. 5 or 6 years ago in the ESL I bought a couple of surplus reduced pies after the game. Think £2 but perhaps only £1 each.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My daughter works on matchdays in the kiosks and last night from their one kiosk alone (I won't say which stand) they threw away nearly 100 pies and sausage rolls because they're cooked and can't be given to food banks, etc. Multiply that across all of the kiosks in the Amex and that's a lot of grub going to waste.

Yes, the attendance was down and probably goes a long way to explaining the leftovers but still, you would have thought someone could have rounded up all the food and taken it down to a homeless shelter.

Just seems wrong.
Isn't 100 a pretty small number in the whole scheme of things?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Usually Sodexo is really careful not to have any leftovers after a match as that reduces their profits. Sounds like the kiosk managers got their predictions of how much to cook wrong. Friend's kid works in kiosks and when there is leftovers the staff usually get to bring them home. I've been the beneficiary of some free leftover pies in the past!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here