Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Florida I-Drive

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Totally agree with Sarasota. The sand on Siesta Key is so fine people build turreted castles on it. I saw a marriage proposal sculpted in sand.

You can see the dolphins and manatees or the alligators (not all in death match). Ironically there's a power plant with hot water being released from the cooling system which the manatees love. You can apparently swim with them although I've never been. It's north of Tampa somewhere and you'll be able to Google it. Dolphins can be spotted in loads of the salt water bays and near cities. Alligators are everywhere in the Everglades and Lake Myakka Park too. The former would be better with an air boat.

I'm biased. St Petersburg old town is nice. Central Av is fun at the weekend and is near a marina that feels a bit like the Riviera. Great steak at Parkshore Grill.

Orlando Magic will be in the midst of their play-offs. Old town Orlando is a pretty cool city if you want to avoid the main tourist parts. It depends on what you're after.

Miami South Beach is very expensive. The beach is nice but you can get far more value on the west coast or further north. If you want to head that way St Augustine is the oldest settled town in the US (1565, I think). It has some old architecture but is quite small. Bit of a mix between old Spanish and clapper-board houses.

If you have the time I would definitely recommend a drive up Route A1A north of Datona to St Augustine and ultimately to Savannah, Georgia which is stunning. It's a good day's drive though.

Other than that, golf courses - I played a nice round at Celebration. I'd also recommend the Tampa Bay Rays for Baseball but your wife may be bored stupid!

Dali museum in St Pete and go out fishing or waterskiing. The views near/on the water are great and you'll love it. Get out as much as possible.

Oh and try to drive over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge at dusk. Beautiful.

Hope one of these works!:O

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Firstly apologies all for my delay...

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Busch Gardens we've done the last 3 years... with the orlando flex ticket the free coach ride was too good to refuse! Behind Island of Adventure it's one of the best parks i've been to.

O.R.R (or anyone else who's been)... what's discovery cove like? Better/Worse than sea world?

Kennedy i'd love to do but the missus won't have it! :facepalm:

ShandyH... are Magic in the play off's? Last year on the honeymoon we were out there when they were playing LA (?i think). Never watched the sport before but got quite into in the bar with some locals... Needless to say i had to go back to that bar every night they played!! :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all your tips guys!

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
LS, yes they are mate. They should progress pretty far and hopefully to the Finals. They've got a cracking team.

If you want to go then use Ticketliquidator rather than stubhub - the tickets are much cheaper but are still touted so expect to pay a bit. It's the last year in the old arena I think and I'd definitely suggest you pay as much as you can afford. Basketball gets better as a spectator sport as you move towards the court.

Incidentally I was there for that last year and bumped into James Beattie of all people. Not a very pleasant bloke......

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
Last Summer ... Discovery Cove is totally different to Sea World & much, much better.
It's a really relaxing day & they limit the amount of people allowed in the park so there's no queues!
You can swim with dolphins, snorkel in a huge tropical reef full of fish & sting rays (beware - it's really deep in parts), feed rays, lounge about in the huge lazy river with waterfalls & sunken treasure, feed the birds & animals in the aviary, laze around on the sunloungers with a bottle of the 'free' beer etc, etc....
Can't recommend it enough - pricey but an experience you'll never forget.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Try the air boats at boggy creek, good day out :smile:

Have to agree the airboats are great also go to the Peabody Hotel 1 afternoon to see the ducks and lunch in the dinner, it nothing spectacular but its different seeing ducks paraded down from their state room to the fountain in reception. The diner in the hotel is like something from the 60s and servers great Americian food.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here