Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] “FIT” - bowel cancer test

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Serious issue, serious answers only please.

Is a score of 9 ug/g likely to be cancer? Horrible email this morning.“Urgent referral” worries me along with the words “suspected bowel cancer”.

But from reading a little online, it says 10 ug/g is a positive test. So I am very confused.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Not medically trained but from googling it seems to say that FIT result less than 10 is usually called FIT negative and for most people it means they don't have cancer and FIT score over 10 (FIT positive) seems like further tests but for most people FIT positive still means they don't have cancer

Worth asking your doctor why you've been referred even though your result would seem to be classed as FIT Negative

source: https://cancermatterswessex.nhs.uk/fit-test/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is far far better that you are refered and found to be clear, than to not be refered and the opposite. Your GP may be being overly cautious-and thats a good thing
Best wishes for whatever the results
100% this (lost my BIL last year to it, very late diagnosis)....and under 10 with no other symptoms means it's unlikely. Fingers crossed 🤞

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Is a score of 9 ug/g likely to be cancer? Horrible email this morning.“Urgent referral” worries me along with the words “suspected bowel cancer”.

But from reading a little online, it says 10 ug/g is a positive test. So I am very confused.
Under 10 unlikely.

You may get a call to discuss symptoms, and depending on your response, may receive the option of a colonoscopy or flex-sig…… (symptom dependant as to which).

If you have the option of getting scoped I would take it, as it provides further assurance. An opinion (not medically trained either), but work in cancer services.

Of course, one of the reasons for the introduction of FIT (in addition to earlier diagnosis etc)., was to reduce the need for potentially unnecessary diagnostic tests, so you may not be given the colonoscopy/flexi option anyway.

FIT, IMO is here to stay, and there will be pressure on primary care to use it prior to referral.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Under 10 unlikely.

You may get a call to discuss symptoms, and depending on your response, may receive the option of a colonoscopy or flex-sig…… (symptom dependant as to which).

If you have the option of getting scoped I would take it, as it provides further assurance. An opinion (not medically trained either), but work in cancer services.

Of course, one of the reasons for the introduction of FIT (in addition to earlier diagnosis etc)., was to reduce the need for potentially unnecessary diagnostic tests, so you may not be given the colonoscopy/flexi option anyway.

FIT, IMO is here to stay, and there will be pressure on primary care to use it prior to referral.

This. Take every opportunity offered of diagnostic or any other testing. Although bowel tumours can be very slow growing, time is everything.

Good luck, hopefully you’re 100% in the clear.

Last edited:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I was referred with suspected Lower bowel cancer in February, 2 week referral. Ended up having 12 beniegn polyps being removed. Need To go back in 12 months for further colonoscopy as there was so many . All good though and glad I went ,wish you well mate ?

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
The phrases used in the email to you are standard for this type of letter/email. As others and you have said, a score of 9 isn't particularly high (it might be called borderline) and there's a very very good chance this will turn out to be nothing. Easy for me to say but try to keep your brain in neutral and not think about it too much (but make sure you attend/are available for any appointments offered). Good luck.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
just wait and see try not to overthink but i can understand you being nervy, good luck to you. My son is seeing the doctor next week. Please keep us updated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lots of good advice on the thread. Best wishes, and fingers crossed.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
My wife's experience was that she was clear on the test but started to have anemia problems a few months later . Doctors gave iron tablets to help but still the problem persisted. She was sleeping more and her nails were not growing. Finally after another blood test out G.P said to go to A&E . They booked her in priority one, straight in and hooked up for blood transfusion. Multiple tests followed but nothing sinister .A camera finally revealed a lump in the bowel. It was not showing on a standard bowel test but they removed the lump as it was causing pain. Tests on the lump revealed it was cancer. So guess we cannot just rely on a bowel test. Be aware of other symptoms as mentioned above. Hope this helps others.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Said it before, always be on the lookout for signs - always check your poo for signs of blood as bowel cancer is usually caused by a polyp going bad - they usually bleed to give a good indication that something is awry. As said above, always take any opportunity offered to get checked out.
I’m still here twenty years after a bowel resection caught by the vigilance of a locum at my old GP surgery and the excellence of consultant Paul Farrands who, unlike many Albion names put forward, is a true Legend.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My wife's experience was that she was clear on the test but started to have anemia problems a few months later . Doctors gave iron tablets to help but still the problem persisted. She was sleeping more and her nails were not growing. Finally after another blood test out G.P said to go to A&E . They booked her in priority one, straight in and hooked up for blood transfusion. Multiple tests followed but nothing sinister .A camera finally revealed a lump in the bowel. It was not showing on a standard bowel test but they removed the lump as it was causing pain. Tests on the lump revealed it was cancer. So guess we cannot just rely on a bowel test. Be aware of other symptoms as mentioned above. Hope this helps others.
Hope your wife is okay.

To be clear though, this is very much evidence based and supported by Association of Coloproctologists and Assoc of Upper GI surgeons - very unfortunate for your wife though.

The risk of colorectal cancer in those with a negative result, a normal examination and full blood count is <0.1%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here