Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fish and chip butty ... North south divide .

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
ive chatted with a chap from Leicester and from Macclesfield about this. they both had an interesting common observation - Whippets. they are common in the north, not in the midlands or south. the chap from Macclesfield had lived in a town further south said it was a "border town" as there was northern accents but no whippets, the town few miles up t'road whippets were often seen in the high street. that was where the north started.

The Whippet rule wins it for me, an example would be Nottingham, no whippets but head 10 miles north into North Notts area whippets are quite popular on the Notts / South Yorks border.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Living in Sheffield I'd say we're right on the border. South Yorkshire and above would be my starting point.

Interesting point. Close to my view.

I always say the north starts at Chesterfield. Draw a straight line underneath there. That's just south of you so guess it fits.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
north-south_1514455e.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always think the north starts where you cant understand what they are saying except how strong their beer is with a creamy 1inch + head. Generally I would say anywhere north of Nottingham.

As regards Fish and chip butty I have had a chip butty on many occassions but never a fish and chip one.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I'd say anywhere North of Stoke. Sampled a rather nice Steak and Kidney Pud ,Mushies,Chips and Gravy combo in Halifax a few weeks ago,it had been a long time and it was superb.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Make your own Fish and Chip butty in McDonalds by putting some fries in your Fillit-o-Fish.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't know anyone who owns whippets but I'd concur that here in Sheffield is basically where the North begins.

Living in the south of Sheffield our nearest airport is East Midlands, about 40 mins drive south, and in the Midlands obviously. So Derby, Nottingham etc is Midlands, Sheffield Rotherham, Barnsley and anything further north is North.

Chesterfield is just confused.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't know anyone who owns whippets but I'd concur that here in Sheffield is basically where the North begins.

Living in the south of Sheffield our nearest airport is East Midlands, about 40 mins drive south, and in the Midlands obviously. So Derby, Nottingham etc is Midlands, Sheffield Rotherham, Barnsley and anything further north is North.

Chesterfield is just confused.

Chesterfield is just twisted.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Real north starts along the Rugby League corridor (roughly along the M62). Everything below that is southern Union softies.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just draw a line at Sheffield.
In fact draw a line right through Sheffield.
In fact just obliterate Sheffield completely.
:rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here