Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] First they took our Thermos, then our bottle tops, now its cycle helmets

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I locked my cycle helmet to my bike in a locked bag. I was told when I returned to my bike I wasn't allowed to leave a bag on it as it was a security risk.
It makes zero sense. Are they going to check the boots of cars next for car bombs? The club is so bloody over officious it's ridiculous.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I lock my on the bike, i agree it's a bit improbable that a cyclist would want to throw their crash hat at someone but what about those pesky "intent on causing trouble at any costs" that most clubs have a few of ?
I've been told to not wear my hi viz cycling jacket in the ground as it could confuse people into thinking i'm a steward and i'm waiting for the day i get told to collect my shoes after the match as they have cleats on the bottom of them.

I've also been challenged for wearing a high viz jacket into the ground. It was the only jacket I had in the boot that night and it was the middle of winter so I chucked it on. The steward wasn't going to allow me to wear it in the ground but after some discussion I was allowed in. I think a number of these precautions are getting OTT now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do people really steal cycle helmets?

I'm sure plenty have been nicked in the past, outside cafes etc.

Although I'd question why anyone would wear a £300 helmet for what is a commute ride.
In much the same way I'd question why anyone would nick a £30 helmet from outside a football stadium.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They attempted to stop me coming in with my set of jump leads at the last game. Finally relented and said I could come in as long as I didn't try and start anything

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I tried to sneak Mitrovic into the ground.

Fortunately, as the club don't know what a striker looks like, I got away with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It'll be a ban on cash next - oh hang on....

That only makes sense if the club also bans drongos that queue for 10 minutes.
Get to the front.
Then ask Bertram and Tabitha what they would like.
Read through the menu twice.
Ask if the beefburger is vegan.
Check every other pocket for their wallet.
Bemoan only having euros.
Pay with a card.
Wait for the receipt.
Hand the food to Bert and Tab, who then promptly drop it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They attempted to stop me coming in with my set of jump leads at the last game. Finally relented and said I could come in as long as I didn't try and start anything

What bright spark banned jump leads? Tony Bl-ohm?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

They must've come to the conclusion that you weren't too amped up.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
In the end they agreed I wasn't at volt

This may change though. It’s just current policy, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's funny what's banned now. A few years ago I had played darts with a few work colleagues on a friday lunch break and forgotten to leave them at work afterwards. I got to the Amex with 4 sets of darts and when the steward searching my bag asked what was in the boxes I said they were darts, he laughed and said to carry on.

It was fine though, I'd left my helmet locked to my bike. :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I had a tin of Alphabetti Spaghetti confiscated. The steward said in the wrong hands it could spell disaster.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's funny what's banned now. A few years ago I had played darts with a few work colleagues on a friday lunch break and forgotten to leave them at work afterwards. I got to the Amex with 4 sets of darts and when the steward searching my bag asked what was in the boxes I said they were darts, he laughed and said to carry on.

It was fine though, I'd left my helmet locked to my bike. :thumbsup:

Clearly the stewards have short memories, this from the late 70s

25b7b682ca0e56de668c9fd302a5bac2.jpg

So if you are allowed to take darts into the ground, maybe free cycle helmets (in club colours) should be available as a safety option for fans.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Well, they can go ckuf themselves if they think I'm leaving £400's worth of motorcycle helmet in a cupboard that anyone can access whilst the game is going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here