Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Game at Amex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can't remember the last time I heard the 'fast' Albion being sung, and it was THE Albion chant through my early years of supporting the club.
Again, it was certainly sung at Rochdale, Oldham, Charlton, Peterborough etc. but it's never been as loud as it used to be in the north stand since the slow version came about.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
At Wembley (and not heard much since) in 1983 the most sung was the strange der-der-der de-de-ddd-de-de-de-da one repeated with fast handclapping. What was that all about?!

I remember that , and the Manc fans taking the piss out of it by singing (literallly) 'Clap Clap Clappety Clap. etc.......

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
now that we will have a digital screen, we should have a pre match karaoke with GOSBTS words until the other 15,000 get the hang of it;
quite a few joined in at Rochdale, once we get there, we will have a proper unique anthem to rank with the best of football anthems;

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
All the songs mentioned are good as far as I'm concerned and each has its time and place when its the right one for the moment. The slow Albiyern, Albiyern, Albiyern is OK. There's times at away matches when to my ears its the right one - its like a statement that we're here and own this bit. The quicker Albion, albion, albion, albion etc is better most of the time for sure.
The only ones I don't like are
1) Come On Brighton - because its only heard when we are playing crap.
2) that effort based on Bright eyes - a crap song about rabbits. What the hell has that got to do with any emotion at a match?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Everyone stands up, sings Good Old Sussex by the Sea in entirety, claps, game starts. 1m into game, ALBIYERN ALBIYERN, ALBIYERN starts up, ends and the stadium dips into silence for the remainder of the game, unless we score or the referee gives a decision against.

Anyone else concerned that Withdean despondency will follow us to Amex? Like Ernest I've been having bad dreams.

I do agree with you and am worried but it's up to us to make a STAND (literally at times) and make an atmosphere happens. I also think the North stand will be fairly buzzing.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not forgetting the massive swell in away support will help generate a better atmosphere.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There are two versions of "Albion" the slower "Albion, Albion" (repeat) or the quicker "Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion, Albion" The first one, particularly at away games is always the best song we sing. At certain points it effects the atmosphere and the match. It basically says we are here and are confident if winning this match. It is the type of song you sing when you've just scored or the team needs a lift. Brilliant! If you don't like it, you won't like the Amec cause it will be ringing all the way round the stadium.

l like it too ... although the words are a little bit difficult to learn.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Aug 6th, 3.12pm, Elliott Bennett hits a 35 yard screamer to beat Robert Green in the West Ham goal, moments later the Amex is rocking as all four stands sing in unison.....

Brighton are back, Brighton are back, 'Ello 'Ello!
Brighton are back, Brighton are back, 'Ello 'Ello!

I'm going to lie down now, the excitement is all too much for me.....

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Going up to London to win the F A Cup?
But that was in 1983 about a physical journey 'up to' London! There is NO REASON to sing it now. If you listen to the Norman Wisdom version he sings "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" which is what we always used to sing prior to 1983.

Having said that I'm in favour of singing the real words: "Tell them all that we stand or fall".

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But that was in 1983 about a physical journey 'up to' London! There is NO REASON to sing it now. If you listen to the Norman Wisdom version he sings "Going up AND WE'LL win the Cup" which is what we always used to sing prior to 1983.

Having said that I'm in favour of singing the real words: "Tell them all that we stand or fall".

Cant believe it's taken you this long to get on to this. Did your 'to win the cup' alarm not go off or something?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Surely an updated version of a classic would be in order. Something like....

Tiptoe through the West Stand,
nice Prawn sandwich
and a cup of tea
oh tiptoe through the West Stand with me.

carry on.....

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The one which would really bring a tear to my ears on the first game would be

"My Only Brighton"

Its a shame its not sung these days - nothing is more poignant after what we went through in the 90s.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

"My Only Brighton"

Its a shame its not sung these days - nothing is more poignant after what we went through in the 90s.

Top shout CP 0 3 BHA I have always been partial to that one too.

Spamdrew

Jan 29, 2011
am i the only one who likes the slow ALBION? brings back memories of 40,000 of us singing at Cardiff when i was younger
(plus no one gets the words wrong)

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants

"My Only Brighton"

On seeing this quoted I realise that the tears would come from my eyes , not my ears - but either way I'll be in bits!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
am i the only one who likes the slow ALBION? brings back memories of 40,000 of us singing at Cardiff when i was younger
(plus no one gets the words wrong)

It's OK when sung once. It is shit when it is just sung on a loop and drowns out any other songs, like it usually does. It's a bit dreary really, isn't it? The other Al-bi-on is much better.

Spamdrew

Jan 29, 2011
Yeah I guess, although it does sound great with a huge crowd. One thing I'd love to hear is 'donkey Darby' played before hand by seagulls ska (I think)

SeagullSed

May 12, 2009
Everyone stands up, sings Good Old Sussex by the Sea in entirety, claps, game starts. 1m into game, ALBIYERN ALBIYERN, ALBIYERN starts up, ends and the stadium dips into silence for the remainder of the game, unless we score or the referee gives a decision against.

Anyone else concerned that Withdean despondency will follow us to Amex? Like Ernest I've been having bad dreams.

Hopefully the other 8000-12000 extra supporters are gonna be just that - supporters. As opposed to a bunch of quiet ***** that only break their silence for the occasional moan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here