Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Finances force me to cancel my season ticket, but its not that easy.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Having said I'd never get rid of my ST, I've now come to the conclusion that I have no choice. Work is drying up and financially I kind of have no choice.
£45 a month plus petrol up from Somerset basically its around £100 a game, and thats when I can make it.
Anyway, I've obviously missed the non renewal date (I pay by monthly direct debit)
The ticket office said "We can only look to cancel these under "exceptional circumstances" which are reviewed on a case by case basis by our management."
Has anyone else had to do this ? What would be the outcome if I just cancelled my dd ? I don't want to lose loyalty points etc
I understand they have to plan financially but it seems a bit draconian to ask for further documentation to support your case. Dont they watch the news ?

Bit miffed to be having to get rid and bit miffed it's maybe not possible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Under the terms and conditions, paying an interest-free loan, starting in April, is a 'contract'. That's why there is a cut off date to cancel it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Having said I'd never get rid of my ST, I've now come to the conclusion that I have no choice. Work is drying up and financially I kind of have no choice.
£45 a month plus petrol up from Somerset basically its around £100 a game, and thats when I can make it.
Anyway, I've obviously missed the non renewal date (I pay by monthly direct debit)
The ticket office said "We can only look to cancel these under "exceptional circumstances" which are reviewed on a case by case basis by our management."
Has anyone else had to do this ? What would be the outcome if I just cancelled my dd ? I don't want to lose loyalty points etc
I understand they have to plan financially but it seems a bit draconian to ask for further documentation to support your case. Dont they watch the news ?

I think it's worth contacting them and explaining your situation in more detail. Legally you've committed to it and I wouldn't just cancel, but from what I've seen in the past, they seem to have been reasonable with people who have entered into discussions with them, and I would imagine the fact you live in Somerset is a good start.

Good luck :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Think you'll be OK with the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Echo other posters, it's a contract like any other whether broadband, mobile etc. you enter into a monthly deal because you are committed for a year, the reason it is significantly cheaper than match day tickets is because you make that commitment. Think you've just got to explain your circumstances, including travel costs etc. and see if that invokes their 'exceptional circumstances'.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don’t want to sound unsympathetic but I’m on clubs side here. I had to do the same for same reasons (exile, work, price of football and other factors), so when it came to renew I didn’t. Everyone knows this before renewals went out, if you didn’t then you’ve really only self to blame. Club is now going to be in a problematic situation with potentially thousands of fans doing similarly as we head into recession (wait until China kicks off). The list of bad news coming down the line has been endless over past few years, most of us have been forced to make sacrifices. If PL football is amongst the last rather than the first then people need to give their head a wobble. Not ignoring the price of football is ridiculous to begin with, inflated by unsustainable wage demands obviously.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

You could try listing each match on the ticket exchange?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sorry to hear about your circumstances - which will hit a lot more people jn the coming months sadly - but massive respect for making the journey from N/E Somerset in the first place. And I speak as one pathetically whining about my journey from Preston Park :down:

I'm sure the club will do right by you

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
Don’t want to sound unsympathetic but I’m on clubs side here. I had to do the same for same reasons (exile, work, price of football and other factors), so when it came to renew I didn’t. Everyone knows this before renewals went out, if you didn’t then you’ve really only self to blame. Club is now going to be in a problematic situation with potentially thousands of fans doing similarly as we head into recession (wait until China kicks off). The list of bad news coming down the line has been endless over past few years, most of us have been forced to make sacrifices. If PL football is amongst the last rather than the first then people need to give their head a wobble. Not ignoring the price of football is ridiculous to begin with, inflated by unsustainable wage demands obviously.

My situation has changed massively since may, hence .......

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

We cancelled ours mid season last year but that was because I nearly died in intensive care and am no longer able to travel far. Not unreasonably the club asked for documentation in the form of a letter from my GP which I was happy to provide. At all times they tried to help and explained the the criteria. It might be tricky in your case because how could you prove your situation? Anyway, good luck but be prepared to be knocked back. If/when you do cancel you can’t keep your points. Back up this season might be selling on the exchange. One further point is that once you have your head round it it’s not such a big deal. We’ve been going for decades but are fine with local away games and tv. Going to a cup match today and Old Trafford tomorrow.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
On a different track but why is everything so obstructive these days.

I renewed my car insurance in March and opted to pay monthly. The car insured was getting on in age and knew I had to sell to escape huge maintenance bills etc. In July I sold, but was not buying another, and had paid 5 months. On cancellation I was charged £50 cancellation fee and £40 agreement fee. In all it came to £97. Everything today seems a rip off.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You could try listing each match on the ticket exchange?

Agree. In your circumstances perhaps list the matches you can't go to on the exchange which may bring some cash back, the matches you don't go to will automatically save you petrol money and then, if your situation improves in the next 12 months you still have your seats and loyalty points and if not you can just cancel then. But good luck either way.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
Some harsh comments on here and as for listing on resale,the ticket exchange will only open a half a dozen games, then yours will be competing with hundreds of others. You can only realistically expect to save your travel and food costs for the vast majority of the games.

Good luck to you in getting it cancelled and also with your future prospects.
Shit is hitting the fan for many and the Premier league Bubble could be about to burst.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My situation has changed massively since may, hence .......

It’s always a shame giving it up, I didn’t really have a choice either. Increasingly I’ve found I’m far from alone though, it was definitely more the journey than the PL destination, it’s a shame we can no longer share a few between us as once did. Club sort of killed a group of 50 somethings social circle.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Some harsh comments on here and as for listing on resale,the ticket exchange will only open a half a dozen games, then yours will be competing with hundreds of others. You can only realistically expect to save your travel and food costs for the vast majority of the games.

Good luck to you in getting it cancelled and also with your future prospects.
Shit is hitting the fan for many and the Premier league Bubble could be about to burst.
I sympathise with OP but no way is the Prem bubble about to burst any time soon.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Being made redundant with no pay off for 22 years service apart from the government redundancy minimum and taking early retirement should be enough for this lot.

We will see

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

Would it help if for some games you (only) had to drive as far as Godalming in Surrey?
PM me if you want to explore this but it's realistically only a 45 mile saving. I drive to Lewes and get the train in 1 stop from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here