Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Final round of televised games: Albion v Derby moved to Mon. 2nd May @ 2:30pm

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Every time we get this same panic because some BEAN brain looks on National Rail enquiries and starts a MASS panic, there will be a NORMAL Saturday afternoon matchday service between Brighton & Falmer
You will BEE held TWO this...

Did I do it WRITE?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Roll up, roll up ,Get ya T-shirts.

image.jpeg

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I get it I'm not thick, but the ambition of the club is to do well in which ever division they happen to be in and if that's the case the fixtures get changed. Its a bit like managers slagging off fixture congestion when they are in 3 competitions at the end of the season - you are victim of your own success, now deal with it

I've been thinking about this a lot. This is the only time this season where a match being moved for TV hasn't suited me. I get to watch the Albion on tv when I normally wouldn't get to a game. Which is great. For me.

This isn't anywhere near comparable with the Premier League debate. The compensation we get for being in the Premier League and having our matches moved to suit Sky and when teams progress in domestic and european competitions is that we get MILLIONS of pounds. We get a foundation on which to build for years. We also get to play the likes of Man United, Arsenal and Leicester City. I think that's ample compensation for losing some Saturday matches... But as the poster above said regarding Watford, maybe we won't even lose that many!

The Championship isn't some global product which allows us to use funds to build for the future, we get a hundred grand (is that right?) per match and lose out on a traditional part of the game which has been there for years. That makes me a bit sad. It's just enough money for us not to resist it, but it's not enough that it has a positive impact on the fans in the same way PL money does.

I think when people buy a season ticket, they expect (rightly or wrongly) that they'll be going to a lot of Saturday games. I worry that if we're still in the Championship next year we'll lose some renewals due to all of this uncertainty. We've had a few decent seasons, but this one has been pretty insane with regards to moving of matches. The attendances might not be ('significantly' in Barber's words) affected the tv fixtures (I bet it IS lower), but the people in those seats might not be the same people who bought the tickets.

Football always has and I think always should be on a Saturday at 3pm wherever possible. I don't understand why Sky can't just show a Championship match on tv at that time. Who does it affect if they do? They might lose some of the neutral armchair fans (who boost ratings and ad revenue) but in that case I'd say **** em. What matters to me is that fans of the two clubs playing a game get to watch their teams. Not that Sky get to maximise their viewing figures.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
we get MILLIONS of pounds. We get a foundation on which to build for years.

The club might get millions but the vast majority will go straight to agents and players. And many clubs are ruined, even destroyed, by promotion. My point being is that there are many pitfalls as there are benefits. I'd like to get promoted just for the thrill and a season in the spot light. Beyond that I don't really give two hoots....Id rather watch my game at 3pm.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Championship isn't some global product which allows us to use funds to build for the future, we get a hundred grand (is that right?) per match and lose out on a traditional part of the game which has been there for years. That makes me a bit sad. It's just enough money for us not to resist it, but it's not enough that it has a positive impact on the fans in the same way PL money does.

TV income whilst small compared to the £100m+ of the Prem is still nearly 20-25% of our entire income.
and sponsorship income (another 20-25%) is very dependent on it as well. I doubt American Express (and everyone else) would be so keen on paying a premium price for appearing on our shirts etc if the Albion didn't end up appearing on TV regularly.
You could argue that it contributes to nearly half of our income.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
TV income whilst small compared to the £100m+ of the Prem is still nearly 20-25% of our entire income.
and sponsorship income (another 20-25%) is very dependent on it as well. I doubt American Express (and everyone else) would be so keen on paying a premium price for appearing on our shirts etc if the Albion didn't end up appearing on TV regularly.
You could argue that it contributes to nearly half of our income.

But surely it's how often this is happening...Sky have stretched the 'live show' to Thursday to Monday..wonder how diluted the match day experience will become...part of which is looking to find out how the 'other' clubs have done..only to find you are the only sad tosser playing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Championship isn't some global product which allows us to use funds to build for the future

Compared to the Prem its small beer but its is a) it is global and broadcast to many countries b) and does give us sizeable funds or enables us to attract funds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here