Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film recommendations from this century

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Probably my favourite film this century would be King Arthur Legend of the Sword.

2017 Directed by Guy Ritchie lots of action decent cast if you don't count David Beckham good fun unless your a Black Leg I suppose.
I actually enjoyed this film but it was a huge flop and they ultimately decided to pull the plug on a 2nd/3rd movie focusing on the Arthurian legend.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How To Blow Up A Pipeline;

Very good.

Whitney: I Wanna Dance With Somebody;

It looks cheap, like a 3pm CH5 movie. But I rather enjoyed it. I don’t really know why.

Edit: Wrong thread

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Had a quick skim through and didn't see Sicario (2015) mentioned.

Top quality crime drama. Top performances. Great use of building up tension, released with violence.
Lost count of how many times I've seen Sicario 1 and 2. Every time I skim through all the uninspiring options on Netflix etc l always think, 'Hmm, I could just watch Sicario again' and I cannot even abide Emily Blunt. :). The brooding soundtrack makes those films.
If you haven't seen Traffic you should, another film I've seen 1,720 times just for the sublime Benicio del Torro, who basically plays the same character in the Sicario films.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just watched Don’t Worry Darling on Sky Movies.

Cracking film, won’t give any spoilers, but 2 hours of quality entertainment. 👍

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Its hard trying to filter out all the great films from the last century!
I can recommend Thank You For Smoking if you like a bit of satire.
Oh, and another vote for The Founder.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Eastern Promises, very graphically grim but gripping. One of the best films I’ve seen for a while.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We went to a SKY VIP screening of "The Great Escaper" last night at the Marina.
Glenda Jackson's last movie before passing away &, according to him, Michael Caines final movie.
Wont win any awards, but was a lovely little film about Bernie Jordan - the veteran who left his Hove nursing home back in 2014 to go across to France & join in the 70th D-Day commemorations. Really enjoyed it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw this recommendation in a what culture youtube video of underappreciated films. Had a gift voucher for itunes, so used it on this film and have just watched it. It is called Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes. It is a small budget Japanese film in which a cafe owner discovers there is a two minute time jump between the monitor in his cafe and the one in his bedroom allowing him to see two minutes into the future. It is presented as a one shot movie and thus has been referred to as a spiritual sequel to One Shot of the Dead. I thought it was quite fun. I'd say if you like Primer, you'd like this, but Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes is brighter and more accessible than primer, less physics heavy.

Here's the trailer:

(I would also recommend Primer and One Shot of the Dead, if they've not already been proffered).

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
2014 Whiplash Drama Do you like jazz drumming or a looking for parenting tips? This film has it all. Superb and I can't see it mentioned previously.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I saw this recommendation in a what culture youtube video of underappreciated films. Had a gift voucher for itunes, so used it on this film and have just watched it. It is called Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes. It is a small budget Japanese film in which a cafe owner discovers there is a two minute time jump between the monitor in his cafe and the one in his bedroom allowing him to see two minutes into the future. It is presented as a one shot movie and thus has been referred to as a spiritual sequel to One Shot of the Dead. I thought it was quite fun. I'd say if you like Primer, you'd like this, but Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes is brighter and more accessible than primer, less physics heavy.

Here's the trailer:

(I would also recommend Primer and One Shot of the Dead, if they've not already been proffered).

BTITM is a great film.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed.I think Paddy should have got the Oscar for most menacing shrug and vicious use of the C word in a single movie.
Very much this. Paddy’s performance in this film is superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here