Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Poor.

I have to say it looks bad. I even turned down a free ticket to go to a preview it looks so dire.
Maybe kids of oday will enjoy and embrace it but there’s only one Ghostbusters for me and it was made a long, long, long time ago.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Poor.

Going to see it tomorrow. I thought it was getting decent reviews and was quite looking forward to seeing it. I was hoping for a bit of nostalgia in there, and let's face it, it can't be any worse than that car crash of a film with Melissa McCarthy.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Ghostbusters this afternoon, didn't mind it at all. Obviously it's not as good as the original, but there's some nice nostalgia in there. It's quite a slow film which I think is the biggest issue with it, but it's basically a remake of the original so I think the younger generation will embrace it. Lovely tribute to Harold Ramis.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watched Ghostbusters this afternoon, didn't mind it at all. Obviously it's not as good as the original, but there's some nice nostalgia in there. It's quite a slow film which I think is the biggest issue with it, but it's basically a remake of the original so I think the younger generation will embrace it. Lovely tribute to Harold Ramis.

I haven't seen it yet, but I don't get how it can possibly be anything like a remake of the original without Bill Murray masterfully and brilliantly deadpanning through the whole thing.

The reviews I've seen have likened it to a Goonies-type kiddy orientated film. I'll get round to it, but have set expectations to 'low'.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I haven't seen it yet, but I don't get how it can possibly be anything like a remake of the original without Bill Murray masterfully and brilliantly deadpanning through the whole thing.

The reviews I've seen have likened it to a Goonies-type kiddy orientated film. I'll get round to it, but have set expectations to 'low'.

Don't get me wrong, it's not comparable to the original in terms of casting, the best part of the film is when Murray, Aykroyd and Hudson show up, but the story is essentially the same, Gozer, the keymaster and gatekeeper. Slimer is replaced with muncher and marshmallow man is marshmallow men.
I'd say not as good as GB1, on par with GB2 and a hell of a lot better than the crap with the women. It's not a great film but it's certainly not bad. Maybe a 6.5/10

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't get me wrong, it's not comparable to the original in terms of casting, the best part of the film is when Murray, Aykroyd and Hudson show up, but the story is essentially the same, Gozer, the keymaster and gatekeeper. Slimer is replaced with muncher and marshmallow man is marshmallow men.
I'd say not as good as GB1, on par with GB2 and a hell of a lot better than the crap with the women. It's not a great film but it's certainly not bad. Maybe a 6.5/10

I was expecting average/poor and thought it was good

It went down the recent route of a combination of a reboot/remake but I thought it was done better than the Force Awakens.

I thought they dealt with the original 4 well and the girl that played Phoebe was very good as was the way the connected them all together.

It’s just a shame this wasn’t the film in 2016 as we could be on the second/forth film of this universe as it has potential

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Watched Petite Maman based on the glowing Kermode review and it being only 72 minutes long. It was excellent, very French fairytale kind of thing about children, parenthood and grief. But not actually depressing. I didn't cry at the end though many did, not everyone cup of tea but if you think it might be I recommend it strongly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Power of the Dog is a gorgeous looking brilliant film about brothers, love, adolescence and its full of several gut punches. Will have you thinking for weeks later . That sort of one.
Don't be surprised if Benedict Cumberbatch - probably his best ever acting - gets an Oscar nod but Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons and Kodi Smit McPhee are there or thereabouts as well.

Its in cinemas now and i think on Netflix from next week.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I also loved Passing (on Netflix). There's not much of a plot and you can spend the time predicting the ending and watching all the rather heavy symbolism. (spilt milk - tick, smashed pot - tick, snow...)
But it looks gorgeous, and Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga are watchable in everything they do.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Watched Petite Maman based on the glowing Kermode review and it being only 72 minutes long. It was excellent, very French fairytale kind of thing about children, parenthood and grief. But not actually depressing. I didn't cry at the end though many did, not everyone cup of tea but if you think it might be I recommend it strongly.

Yeah i saw that yesterday afternoon. Twas good. Some personal moments just excellent, of life and grief. I wouldn't take a child to see it though. Yes, it can be a U, and there is a feel of the Miyazaki magicalism, as apparently the director wanted, but i don't think a nipper would be too engrossed throughout.
I am certainly envious of Sciamma's ability to quietly draw you in in a semi-subdued fashion. Even the drive along near the start with Nelly feeding her mother from the seat behind felt so simple and moving.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Power of the Dog is a gorgeous looking brilliant film about brothers, love, adolescence and its full of several gut punches. Will have you thinking for weeks later . That sort of one.
Don't be surprised if Benedict Cumberbatch - probably his best ever acting - gets an Oscar nod but Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons and Kodi Smit McPhee are there or thereabouts as well.

Its in cinemas now and i think on Netflix from next week.

I have to say I found Cumberbatch’s attempt at brooding, dark, tough, antagonist laughable in this.
Could have been interesting but his daft impression of a tough but troubled cowboy was far too distracting. Like watching someone in bad drag, you know what they’re trying to be but you just can’t buy it. Well, I couldn’t.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yeah i saw that yesterday afternoon. Twas good. Some personal moments just excellent, of life and grief. I wouldn't take a child to see it though. Yes, it can be a U, and there is a feel of the Miyazaki magicalism, as apparently the director wanted, but i don't think a nipper would be too engrossed throughout.
I am certainly envious of Sciamma's ability to quietly draw you in in a semi-subdued fashion. Even the drive along near the start with Nelly feeding her mother from the seat behind felt so simple and moving.

Agree with all of that. I'm not sure it's a particularly appealing film for most children. A few mother's and teenage daughters at my showing which I'd say is about right

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I forgot to post earlier this week, but I saw Ghostbusters Afterlife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Paul Rudd is always charmingly funny, none of the kids annoyed me, I loved the bad jokes the girl told, a few funny lines, nods to the original, I liked they had practical effects for the gatekeeper and keymaster, the Harold Ramis bits I found moving, if undercut a little by them not wanting to have any speaking.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Finally, after many years, got round to watching Requiem for a dream.
I was always apprehensive about watching this film as I suffered with drug addiction for years, lost pretty much everything in my life, was homeless and lost a large part of my life because of it. I have to say, only very small parts of this film ring true, for the most part it's nonsense, but when it does hit home, it makes a lot of sense.
The stand out for me is the woman who plays Mrs Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn?), Her speech about being alone is the first part of the film that I thought was genuine and probably directly influenced by someone with an addiction due to needing something in their life to take away the pain. And the scene where she's strung out in the doctor's office was very uncomfortable viewing. The lack of self control is a hideous feeling and the blatant lack of understanding and caring from those around her acts as a catalyst to make matters even worse.
Jennifer Connelly when she's rattling is also close to reality. The desperation and lengths you'll go to, to get your next fix is extraordinary, you're just a passenger being dictated to by an uncontrollable urge, and I think the film depicts that quite well, if a bit too artsy in places.
Personally I think it's quite an average film. Maybe I had built it up in my head too much, but it was largely disappointing.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Watched Dune today at an iMax. Blew me away. What an amazing piece of film making. Stunning. I hadn’t read the book or seen the old film and followed fine. Can’t wait for part 2.

Bit late to relate this. Dune is a very, very good film. The music (Hans Zimmer), sound effects, costumes, casting, acting, cinematography, scenery and special effects are all amazing.

Just a memorable moment in the cinema.

It’s a book that’s been badly handled before but this has split it into two and it’s spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saw Spider-man: No Way Home. It got 3.5 applauses during the film. Was more emotional than I expected. I really liked it. Then I went to the football. :down:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Saw Spider-Man: No way home. Absolutely brilliant, by far the best Spider-Man film, loved seeing all the original actors.
The clapping weirdos were out in force though, whooping and cheering USA style, one girl behind us even started hyperventilating when one actor appeared on screen, claiming she loved him. Some very odd people out there.
Highly recommend watching it, especially if you're a fan of all the previous films starring Maguire and Garfield as there's some really good crossover stuff in it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Today, with a merciless uncovid cough in each of them, Mrs Meade and Meade Jr flew off for Christmas, before i join them in a week or so. The week that unfolds will be a tad sour, and isolated, but the cinema will invite me in, i hope, allowing me to have imprinted a memory that has the loneliness more worthwhile. It seems that there is a thing or two on, and that began today with Spiderman: No Way Home. It was a fun affair, given menace and reminiscence by Willem Defoe and Alfred Molina returning, but the self-pastiche semi-cheapened the franchise, and sadly i found Dr Strange, a generally bland character, incorrectly comedic and unthinking with the power at his fingers. It mocked and lived the formula, and looked great doing so with battles and effects that slickly thundered, but its elements didn't wholly weave, or have the ever-ready tragedy press me with meaning.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Finally, after many years, got round to watching Requiem for a dream.
I was always apprehensive about watching this film as I suffered with drug addiction for years, lost pretty much everything in my life, was homeless and lost a large part of my life because of it. I have to say, only very small parts of this film ring true, for the most part it's nonsense, but when it does hit home, it makes a lot of sense.
The stand out for me is the woman who plays Mrs Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn?), Her speech about being alone is the first part of the film that I thought was genuine and probably directly influenced by someone with an addiction due to needing something in their life to take away the pain. And the scene where she's strung out in the doctor's office was very uncomfortable viewing. The lack of self control is a hideous feeling and the blatant lack of understanding and caring from those around her acts as a catalyst to make matters even worse.
Jennifer Connelly when she's rattling is also close to reality. The desperation and lengths you'll go to, to get your next fix is extraordinary, you're just a passenger being dictated to by an uncontrollable urge, and I think the film depicts that quite well, if a bit too artsy in places.
Personally I think it's quite an average film. Maybe I had built it up in my head too much, but it was largely disappointing.

Based on the book by Hubert Selby Junior who also wrote Last Exit To Brooklyn. He spent time with alternative communities including drug addicts and sex workers but don’t think he was an addict.
He had bad health problems though and lived quite a dark life I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here