Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Eternals

Despite a strong cast and storyline, with great special effects and some comedy moments, it is frankly long winded and hard work to be honest. It is in no way a bad film but just did not really engage .Shame. Worth a watch but would not revisit it at the cinema, dvd or tv. People where visibly restless. It is long and feels it. Far too many wordy scenes that disconnects the whole thing. Need to be a Marvel fanboy or girl to love it I think. 67 out of 100. Lagging well behind No Time to Die, 92 and Dune 88 this year

I saw this on Monday and was pretty underwhelmed.

First time me and the missus counted over 50 people walk out before the end. Not a good sign.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw this on Monday and was pretty underwhelmed.

First time me and the missus counted over 50 people walk out before the end. Not a good sign.

Makes a bit more sense than the previous attempt :thumbsup:

I saw it on opening night, and only noticed one couple leave, but there were several groups who seemed to be quite restless moving seats all around the screening.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But yesterday, with hand, foot and mouth disease settling a little on his person, i went along to see the film Titane. The festival has been shrunken in terms of venue numbers, and this was at the ROyal Festival Hall. I quite liked it. Not the film so much, which was horrendously foul, and mostly meaningless, but the seating, and the place itself. The film was of a psychopathic woman, injured in a care crash as a child, ending up being impregnated by a car. I thought when briefly reading of it that i would find it challenging and see how this horrid Cronenburgian idea panned out, but it was more ludicrous as it went along, and didn't repulse with much reason attached. The lead had at one point to look to reform her face a tad whilst on the run, and went through a number of self-punches to the schnozzle to break that nose and be in disguise. When she decided her fist was not strong enough and thought she'd back her head against the corner of a sink, myself and a man 2 seats to my right, with an empty seat betwixt, looked away and only at each other, a little sickened with the thought of staring at the screen, and uncomfortable in having nowhere to look other than each other's eyes or masks. WALLOP, we heard, and looked again at a bashed face. Some elderly folk walked out. I didn't, but didn't long to stay and see more.

I just saw this at the Duke of Yorks as part of the Cinecity festival. I was looking forward to it on the basis of a moody, atmospheric and bizare trailer, and that I enjoyed the director's previous film, Raw. I did read this (^) review back when it was posted, but had forgotten the particulars by the time I went to watch the film (having booked a couple of weeks ago, I almost forgot I had tickets to it this evening until about 45 minutes before i needed to leave).

I'm still trying to process. I don't think I was as repulsed by it/negative about it as MB. I have seen quite a few body horrors in my time. In fact by the standards of many of them, this was quite tame. I didn't notice anyone walk out, though there was a pre-film intro with audience polls, which seemed to indicate a good number of people there went for the body horror, so unlikely to be offended. There were some laughs (an impromptu mass murder when it turns out there are other people in the house, a dance routine on an emergency vehicle both got good reactions), but the narrative thread through the movie seems unfocused, and stretched credulity without the whimsical tone generally to the film that would be needed to support such reality testing story beats.

I may need to consider it some more, may need to watch again to truly decide how I feel about it. DoY was sold out and plenty of people applauded at the end, and it certainly was different to your standard multiplex fare.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Annoyed that the missus went to the Gucchi film premiere last week, i thought i would strike back by seeing the Picturehouse surprise Friday night film. There were around 11 people present, and i thought, as i had for much of the day, that a stinker would appear. And i was a bit wrong, but not over-impressed with it. King Richard, was it's name, and the title itself slightly misled. Will Smith plays the father of Venus and Serena Williams, and it is his mostly sanctified determination that leads them to be 2 of the greatest players of all time. It is a reasonable performance from Smith - he carries a lisp and fatherhood ok - but the lasses playing his daughters outshine him a little, much as they did in real life, i suppose.
There were maybe a couple of moments in the film in which his belligerence was irately questioned by his wife or children, but he is mostly portrayed a hero, and success down to his single-mindedness. It was a valid story and spoke of the racism inherent in tennis (that can be transferred to many another sport), and mixed support from the people of Compton, but i found the tone and message a bit unclear. The film was signed off by the family, i think, so it was a bit of a thank you, rather than a nuanced character study.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Annoyed that the missus went to the Gucchi film premiere last week, i thought i would strike back by seeing the Picturehouse surprise Friday night film. There were around 11 people present, and i thought, as i had for much of the day, that a stinker would appear. And i was a bit wrong, but not over-impressed with it. King Richard, was it's name, and the title itself slightly misled. Will Smith plays the father of Venus and Serena Williams, and it is his mostly sanctified determination that leads them to be 2 of the greatest players of all time. It is a reasonable performance from Smith - he carries a lisp and fatherhood ok - but the lasses playing his daughters outshine him a little, much as they did in real life, i suppose.
There were maybe a couple of moments in the film in which his belligerence was irately questioned by his wife or children, but he is mostly portrayed a hero, and success down to his single-mindedness. It was a valid story and spoke of the racism inherent in tennis (that can be transferred to many another sport), and mixed support from the people of Compton, but i found the tone and message a bit unclear. The film was signed off by the family, i think, so it was a bit of a thank you, rather than a nuanced character study.

We had tickets for that but bad weather and apathy on our part meant we missed it. Thanks for the review I don’t feel so bad now!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Just back from that there Bond film.

Still kinda processing it, my initial response is:-

Where it's good - feck me it's the best.
But
In places I did find it rather jarring.

Some of the Basil Exposition was a little clunky and overblown.

I would agree with that. Some excellent action stuff, the Cuba sequence is irrelevant but the best bit.

However ending is a bigger budget one from the 70s with a sillier ending to try and give it meaning and the villain is bad and a bit Austin Powersey

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Spencer
I'll admit I'm not overly interested in the royal family or Diana. But I felt obliged to see this because of the Oscar buzz, and my yearly efforts to atc the main nominees.

I really didn't get on with the film. I found the music to be irritating an screechy, I found KS's performance of diana to be a whisper and a cowed bowing of the head. It tried to be a mood piece rather than tell a story, but I found it hard to really care about her or feel anything toward the film. It has inconsistencies around what is fantasy and what is real (she sees the ghost of anne boleyn, and acts out in ways that are clearly fictional, but then also referred to as if real). It largely focuses just on her, so there is no real sense of how she relates to anyone else (somewhat building on the sense of isolation etc, but again doing nothing to make you care or understand why you should be sympathetic toward her).

Someone else in the screen walked out, couldn't bear the remaining 7 minutes, apparently.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I haven't seen a movie in the cinema since Covid struck but I assume they have got some form of either social distancing re the seating or a requirement for people to wear masks?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I haven't seen a movie in the cinema since Covid struck but I assume they have got some form of either social distancing re the seating or a requirement for people to wear masks?

At this point, not so much. When things first opened up people were required to wear masks (back when that was supported by laws) and there needed to be two seats between people from different households.

Now the two seat thing has mostly gone. At cineworld when booking online you'll find some seats unavailable due to spacing, but I'm not entirely clear on the policy on that, and masks are advised, so almost no one wears them.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Lewes Depot require mask wearing during films if anyone is concerned and wants to go to the cinema again. The Brighton Marina cinema and Worthing Dome have no mask policy or social distancing

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I attempt to go to screenings that don't seem too crowded, and sit in imperfect places so that i can remain in my mask, only lowering for a slurp and nibble, to keep feeling a little safer. Booked a seat for a surprise film tomorrow night, at a London Picturehouse, with only around 20 seats currently grabbed.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Lewes Depot require mask wearing during films if anyone is concerned and wants to go to the cinema again. The Brighton Marina cinema and Worthing Dome have no mask policy or social distancing

Indeed, I've only gone to Depot.

Masks mandatory and nearly everyone wearing them, and spare seats between parties. And the seats are more spaced at anyway

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Now I adore Niamh Algar, (Calm with Horses and The Virtues) but the horror film Censor is way out of my league. Didnt get it at all.

89% on RT though, but then again she IS gorgeous.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Me and the Mrs watched Last night in Soho this evening. We were both left a bit confused as to how we felt about it. One minute it's beautifully filmed, amazingly well acted and the story is captivating, the next is cheap special effects, wooden acting and a cheesy storyline where you know exactly what is coming.
I love Anya Taylor Joy, and she is probably the only saving grace. The Frankenstein's monster looking bloke (maybe used to be Dr Who?) Is an awful, awful actor and the other girl sounds like Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter.
I highly doubt either one of us would watch it again, it had a lot of potential but I feel like it's a bit too hit and miss throughout to make it a good film.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Finch. Tom Hanks lives in a post apocalyptic dystopia. He builds robots and has a dog. Nothing happens. It's charmless and boring. Swerve.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I enjoyed it. Not perfect and a bit slow at the start but good fun and if you love the originals then plenty there to keep you entertained :)

I did enjoy the marshmallows, and the pole-dancing line, but it was the slowness that did for me, as well as a general lack of humour - I remember the originals being a lot more relaxed and amusing.

But it just goes to show that we're all different, and on another day, maybe I'd have got something different from it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here