Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2014

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I won't go, I've made that mistake before. I quite enjoyed the first one, went and saw the second which was "meh". The Dark of the Moon I caught on Blu-Ray and couldn't wait for it to end, it was genuinely numbing, so I know to swerve the latest instalment.

No, I'm not expecting a love story or a thriller, but it would be good to have something a little more plot-driven, with a different payoff at the end to another city being levelled. I appreciate thats what fans of the franchise want and expect to see (again), and I love a special-effects action movie as much as the next guy. But this Transformers stuff, I've grown totally bored of it.

The second and third are terrible films, Mainly down to the cast - Shia Labeouf is so unlikeable.

I am not sure why I went to see transformers 4, but it is a decent film and enjoyed it much more than the other three, it is a bit too long but most films are these days.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The second and third are terrible films, Mainly down to the cast - Shia Labeouf is so unlikeable.

I am not sure why I went to see transformers 4, but it is a decent film and enjoyed it much more than the other three, it is a bit too long but most films are these days.

Is it because you have an Unlimited Card and live 5 minutes walk from Cineworld?

I think the second one was the last one I saw, the fight scenes seemed to go on FOREVER and it was impossible to tell what was going on in them. I assume the latest one suffers from the same problem. This is a big bugbear of mine, the trend seems to be for a final fight scene in a film to last as long as possible, it just get boring after a while and you just want it to end rather than being kept in suspense.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Transformers is a very good film. I don't think Bay could have made a better film from the source material. Even IMDB rates it well. 2 and 3 I liked as well. Not seen 4 yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Well I'm not going to go out of my way to see it (ie cinema), as I've grown tired of seeing giant robots twatting each other ad-infinitum. The action scenes are practically indistinguishable from one film to the next now, its been done to death. Maybe have a squiz on Sky Movies Premiere for a cheap night in when it eventually makes an appearance next year some time, but if its just another re-run, then I'll bail out.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well I'm not going to go out of my way to see it (ie cinema), as I've grown tired of seeing giant robots twatting each other ad-infinitum. The action scenes are practically indistinguishable from one film to the next now, its been done to death. Maybe have a squiz on Sky Movies Premiere for a cheap night in when it eventually makes an appearance next year some time, but if its just another re-run, then I'll bail out.

I agree, the giant monster/robots smashing things has been done to death, that's why I was shocked I quite enjoyed it.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D. Saw this on a preview, loved it, absolutely superb special effects (definitely worth seeing in 3d. It must be very confusing nowadays for kids and those with problems with reality when sci fi looks this real), very funny without being overly smartarse. Also a brilliant cheesy soundtrack. 9.5/10 from me. Reminded me a little bit of Serenity in places.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Boyhood

Richard Linklater filmed the same actors once a year for 12 years.
While I wouldn't say it's the masterpiece that many critics have it is an excellent film about childhood, adulthood, parenting and growing old and up

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Just saw Guardians Of The Galaxy. Such a fun film. A ton of action and a ton of comedy, and if superheroes aren't your thing don't worry - it's much more of a Star Wars and Serenity style affair. The best film to come from Marvel so far

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Just saw Guardians Of The Galaxy. Such a fun film. A ton of action and a ton of comedy, and if superheroes aren't your thing don't worry - it's much more of a Star Wars and Serenity style affair. The best film to come from Marvel so far

Me saw it too. I missed the first few minutes though, i think, but the rest of it all seemed good fun with some good action and enough comedy to keep one interested in amongst the space-war babble. The score was at times terrible, and Chris Pratt when called upon is a god-awful "actor", but it mattered little really in this fun-loving action alien frolic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I loved guardians of the galaxy. Most of what I loved would be spoilerish (I geeked out a little at the post credits sting), I thought they were all funny without becoming clowns, and most people played their parts well (I though Karen Gillan was a weak link - not sure what accent she was going for, and seemed to over-act at times).

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
(I geeked out a little at the post credits sting)

I'll be interested to see where that goes, if anywhere. Might just be a little geeky treat, but I think it could work as more than that

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yesterday I saw one of the most amazing films I have seen in a long time. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It is very poignant with large parts of the World being destroyed and Humans killing Humans all over the place. It carries a deep message and the film carries a beating heart at it's core for the duration. It has a great storyline, effects, many deeply moving moments and one of the best musical scores in recent years. It is head and shoulders the best of the 8 films and even surpasses the original film. 9 out of 10.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Yesterday I saw one of the most amazing films I have seen in a long time. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It is very poignant with large parts of the World being destroyed and Humans killing Humans all over the place. It carries a deep message and the film carries a beating heart at it's core for the duration. It has a great storyline, effects, many deeply moving moments and one of the best musical scores in recent years. It is head and shoulders the best of the 8 films and even surpasses the original film. 9 out of 10.

It is a great film and will probably be by the end of summer the most successful of the blockbusters released this year. To say it is better than the first I am not sure I agree- two very differently paced films. And nothing can beat that iconic moment at the end of the original. Worst of the series has to be the Tim Burton effort.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is a great film and will probably be by the end of summer the most successful of the blockbusters released this year. To say it is better than the first I am not sure I agree- two very differently paced films. And nothing can beat that iconic moment at the end of the original. Worst of the series has to be the Tim Burton effort.

Sure that end scene of the original will always be one of the top 5 cinema moments but the film, story, message and massive heart made it a better film overall for me

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Saw it shortly after it was released and agree it is an exceptional film.

It will be interesting to see where they go with the series now. Will they continue with the Caesar story or jump forward even further in time and have the astronaut storyline for the next film.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'll be interested to see where that goes, if anywhere. Might just be a little geeky treat, but I think it could work as more than that

I think it was just a little easter egg for fans, but hopefully the fan reaction could be enough to convince marvel to make a full movie, or at the very least, one of those one shot shorts you sometimes get on marvel dvds.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Went to see Joe, t'other day, partly under the guidance of reviews that said that Nicolas Cage had refound the form he displayed in Leaving Las Vegas. Well, maybe there was some truth in that, but film has asked for different types of performance since then and the king of ham is unable to be anything in the slightest similar to a real person on screen. Sadly he wasn't the only player in this backwater US semi-coming-of-age piece of grit and addiction acting manically to their extremes. Some foul characters on show really, and almost no joy throughout. The young lad's performance was reasonably good though, Tye Sheridan.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom

See I wasn't a massive fan, I thought the score was all over the place, and I felt they tried to put too much into the film

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Seemed suitable this evening to go to the flicks to watch A Night at the Cinema in 1914. I saw it advertised and didn't at first know it to be a one-off screening at the Picturehouses of London at the least. It was 90 minutes of black and white footage, some of it pertinent to impending war, of the time, with accompanying music, all put together by the hoarders of the cinematic past: the BFI. I enjoyed it. Some shorts were entertaining - an early Charlie Chaplin one was less funny than the underwater adventure of Lieutenant Pimple and his sending a message to the seatop with the aid of a passing cod - , whilst others were newsreels of the leftovers of key historic parts of Liege and an inspection of troops in Cairo. Quite fascinating.

There were so few people there though. Around 15 or so. Sadly i was sat right behind an arm-flapping professor of armpit stench and keen member of the anti-deodorant league, but for the all the while i blew his pong away each time he twitched, i found it an intriguing look into the past in terms of language and culture and the potency of film itself in its earliest days for all its clear limitations. If it's on anywhere for the week at all then i recommend seeing it, and even joining in with the rerecorded song of The Rollicking Rajah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here