Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Officials Arrested

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You mean Platini? I want Blatter to win. Let's push the nuclear button and let Blatter go down with all his cronies around him.

Indeed. Keyboard error.

I agree. I think the nuclear option is the only way we'll be able to genuinely rebuild a FIFA that can be in the interests of all people.

At present the Qatar World Cup has cost 62 deaths per game when you take into account those killed on construction sites. 62 deaths. And FIFA says it has nothing to do with that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I call that lose/win.

Yes it would be great if Blatter goes, but does anyone think that will make much difference? FIFA is corrupt through and through, and the beautiful game won't be saved just by getting rid of sepp tw@tter. He's old and would stop soon enough anyway.

UEFA leaving FIFA would be the best we could hope for here, and even that falls way short of what I'd like. Is there anyone here suggesting that Platini isn't also corrupt? Isn't he largely responsible for the WC going to Qatar?

And if most of UEFA did quit that would still leave a decent World Cup: all South American teams, all African teams, all Asian teams plus Spain, Russia and couple of east European teams. The alternative World Cup of western Europe, US and Australia wouldn't be that much of a draw. It really needs a couple other of the heavy hitters to boycott FIFA before we're getting somewhere

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And if most of UEFA did quit that would still leave a decent World Cup: all South American teams, all African teams, all Asian teams plus Spain, Russia and couple of east European teams. The alternative World Cup of western Europe, US and Australia wouldn't be that much of a draw. It really needs a couple other of the heavy hitters to boycott FIFA before we're getting somewhere
If France, Germany, England did boycott the world cup, that would hit advertisers/sponsors enormously. I think you underestimate the scale of the profit had from northern Europe.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
UEFA leaving FIFA would be the best we could hope for here, and even that falls way short of what I'd like. Is there anyone here suggesting that Platini isn't also corrupt? Isn't he largely responsible for the WC going to Qatar?

I've long considered Platini to basically be Blatter-Lite. On his voting for Qatar – check out this interview with Martin Samuel grilling him on it . Publically, his sole reason boils down to “they’ve never had a World Cup”. Never mind the complete impracticalities, never mind the complete lack of heritage, or interest there in the tiny population (mostly migrants). According to him, they deserve it because they’ve bid loads of times and never had it....mmmkay. Draw your own conclusions...

Samuel: Why did you vote for Qatar?

Platini: Why I vote for Qatar? For the same reason that I vote for Russia.

Samuel: I don’t understand that.

Platini: Because there are some places that have never received the World Cup. And for the development of the football, it is very important.

Samuel: But that happens – there will always be some countries that can’t host the World Cup.

Platini: Yes, but they were not running.

Samuel: I know. But you voted for Qatar and then you wanted to move the World Cup to the winter. So you didn’t actually –

Platini: Beautiful, beautiful idea.

Samuel: But the proposal that you would now actually like to see isn’t the one you voted for, is it? The proposal you voted for has got the tournament there in 50 degree heat.

Platini: You know, we have some choice, we have some choice. For me, this was not a big choice. Because you have Japan who have received the the World Cup eight years before, then there was United States, they received the World Cup 15 years before, and Australia and Qatar. Qatari like all the Arab countries never received the World Cup – they run five times with Morocco, one time with Egypt, and they never received. And I said I will vote for Qatar because, like Russia, they never received the World Cup. The presentation of Qatar and Russia was the same. So why we not have the right to receive the World Cup one day? Why we not the right? Why is it never our country that receives the World Cup? Why Russia cannot receive the World Cup? Russia has presented their bid, they say 12 times Europe receives the World Cup it was in the West. We never received in the East. I think it’s time that sometimes we receive the World Cup. And it was my choice. I said I vote for Qatar, I vote for Turkey, because when I say that, I am free. I am not to go to see the President of Russia, the Prime Minister of England. Everybody know my vote and nobody disturb me and I have no problem of corruption, no problem of ideas, finished. And nobody came to see me. I am very quiet. You can imagine, when you have 15 bids and they all want to see you, they all want to propose to you and send visitors. We come to see you, our President want to see you, Mr Putin wants to see you, Mr Cameron want to see you, the Queen wants to see you. OK, OK. I say, don’t break me the balls. I am free and it’s finished. Stop. Is why always I want to announce my vote, then I am free and nobody comes to disturb me. Because then you receive all ambassadors of all countries. All the people with money. All your friends come. Stop, let me in peace.

Samuel: You say there that there can be no allegations of corruption. But France Football had you in a meeting with Nicolas Sarkozy [president of France, a lucrative business partner of Qatar, with many financial links] and –

Platini: I said to everybody that I had a meeting with Sarkozy–

Samuel: And the guy from Qatar. [Crown prince Sheik Tamim bin Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani. France Football alleges a meeting took place at the Elysee Palace on November 23 2010, Sarkozy and Platini discussed Qatar’s possible investment in French football at Paris Saint-Germain, among other topics.]

Platini: I said to everybody. It’s me who said to everybody that I had a dinner. I understand that Mr Sarkozy he wants that I vote, but he never asked me to vote for him.

Samuel: There is a link between France and Qatar, a commercial link, that is very strong. You say you vote for Qatar, can you understand why people draw conclusions?

Platini: I understand but people must understand that I am free to decide for my vote – and you can understand that Sarkozy never asked me to vote. But I understand by the lunch that we had that it would be nice if I supported that, but I vote for what I want. I have no link with Nicolas, I have no link with the France, I don’t take Airbus myself [a French aircraft manufacturer, Airbus have most recently struck a deal with Qatar Airways worth £2.36billion], I have no problems with nothing. I am only for the development of football in the world when I vote. And I said to everybody what I vote.

Samuel: Sepp Blatter said that he thought that if the World Cup moved to the winter, in Qatar, that there could be a legal claim by Australia, South Korea, Japan and America, to re-open the bidding process because this wasn’t the World Cup that was voted for. This is a different World Cup that has been passed. What do you think of that?

Platini: You have nothing to say to me, I am not the boss of that. I think it is better to play in the winter. Then FIFA and Qatar will decide when they want to play. I think it’s good for you, for me, for the people, for the players, for the fans, for the journalists, to go in winter. In summer, good luck in 60 degrees, or you can stay inside, I don’t know. But it’s better to go in the winter and it’s my wish that it will be played in winter. Then FIFA and Qatar will decide if it will be possible or not possible. It is a problem for FIFA.

Samuel: But if it moves to the winter, do you think the bidding process should be reopened?

Platini: The thing is, if the bidding process is reopened, Qatar will win another time. Why, if I vote for Qatar, why I have to change? I tell you why I still vote for Qatar, the same ideas of two years ago. It changes nothing. For me, changes nothing.

Wow. WORLD CLASS blathering.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Blatter's chums will soon vote him out if UEFA leaves FIFA, organises it's own replacement tournaments, and their money dries up :rock:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

If Germany, France, England and all the Scandinavian teams withdraw (and who knows about the USA) then the sponsors would drop FIFA immediately. Russia would have to withdraw from UEFA.

It's a house of cards, and it's all about to start falling down.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If France, Germany, England did boycott the world cup, that would hit advertisers/sponsors enormously. I think you underestimate the scale of the profit had from northern Europe.

I agree. The sponsors will pull out of a lesser World Cup and would have to, look at the pressure on them now. And don't underestimate Brazil's propensity to follow the money. They could easily join EUFA and with having had their World Cup they have nothing to lose by doing so. A World Cup without Europe will have all the draw of the African Nations Cup. It's a very minor event in comparison.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
what are Scotland planning to do? As a big hitting Northern European nation in its own right we need to know what their view is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you'd find that if those countries left, then much of the money would go too. And Spain wouldn't have a choice, as they'll want their club teams in the Champions league, and the same for any Eastern European teams that want to be part of it. Many other countries would like to join the breakoff group, it would just be a matter of time before things changed.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
CAF STATEMENT - No surprises, but still beggars belief.

Zurich, 28 May 2015 - The Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF) opposes any postponement of the 65th FIFA Congress and the election for the presidency scheduled for 29 May 2015 in Zurich.

At the confederation meeting held on Wednesday, 27 May 2015 in Zurich, CAF reiterated its support for the candidacy of incumbent Joseph Sepp Blatter during the election.

It should be noted that CAF is following with particular attention the events happening in the football family at this time.

CAF reaffirms its commitment to work and to cooperate in safeguarding the ethical and moral values ​​that underlie the practice of the sport, its organization and administration; hence our full support to the measures initiated by FIFA in recent years in improving good governance.

CAF reaffirms its readiness to cooperate in this direction with all the institutions that engage and subscribes to zero tolerance vis-a-vis offenders regardless of their profile or origin.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Some specifics released about Jeffrey Webb's role in this...

Webb faces charges of racketeering and several counts of wire fraud and money laundering.

According to the indictment and Webb’s alleged role in the corruption and racketeering scandal, nothing changed when the Caymanian took over the reins of the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) in the wake of allegations against his predecessor, Jack Warner, who has also been charged in this widespread investigation.

When the new management assumed their respective positions, Webb and another unnamed alleged co-conspirator made public pronouncements about reforming CONCACAF.

“Almost immediately after taking office, however, both men resumed their involvement in criminal schemes,” the indictment alleges. “The change in administration at CONCACAF and CONMEBOL (South American Football Confederation) did not usher in an era of reform at those organizations. Instead, the new leadership continued to engage in criminal schemes in violation of their fiduciary duties,” the indictment reads.

“In early 2012, the defendant Jeffrey Webb, who had long been the president of CIFA (Cayman Islands Football Association), emerged as a candidate to succeed the defendant Jack Warner as the next CONCACAF president. Co-conspirator #4, then an executive at Traffic USA (a sports marketing firm deeply involved in the alleged corruption scandal) supported Webb’s candidacy by causing $50,000 to be paid from Traffic USA’s operating account to a Caymanian company controlled by the defendant Costas Takkas, a long-time associate of Webb and the former general secretary of CIFA. “

The US prosecutors accuse Webb and Takkas, who was working up until yesterday as Webb’s attache in the recently relocated Miami-based HQ of CONCACAF, used his growing influence to solicit a bribe from Traffic USA in connection with its efforts to acquire from the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) the commercial rights of its members to the qualifier matches to be played in advance of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, the indictment states.

Bribes totaling as much as $110 million were reportedly agreed to be paid to Jeffrey Webb, Eugenio Figueredo, Rafael Esquivel, José Maria Marin, Nicolás Leoz and several other soccer officials in connection with tournament rights. At least $40 million has been paid to date, the US prosecutors claim.

The officials say that the defendants and their co-conspirators corrupted the football enterprise by engaging in various criminal activities, including fraud, bribery and money laundering, in pursuit of personal and commercial gain. The defendants also participated in the corruption of the enterprise by conspiring with and aiding and abetting their co-conspirators in the abuse of their positions of trust and the violation of their fiduciary duties.

“The conspirators engaged in conduct designed to prevent the detection of their illegal activities, to conceal the location and ownership of proceeds of those activities, and to promote the carrying on of those activities. The conduct engaged in by various members of the conspiracy included, among other things: the use of ‘consulting services’ agreements and other similar types of contracts to create an appearance of legitimacy for illicit payments; the use of various mechanisms, including trusted intermediaries, bankers, financial advisors, and currency dealers, to make and facilitate the making of illicit payments; the creation and use of shell companies, nominees, and numbered bank accounts in tax havens and other secretive banking jurisdictions; the active concealment of foreign bank accounts; the structuring of financial transactions to avoid currency reporting requirements; bulk cash smuggling; the purchase of real property and other physical assets; the use of safe deposit boxes; income tax evasion; and obstruction of justice.”

The indictment states that Webb also received $500,000 in December 2012, believed to be the last payment in a bribe of $1.5 million from Traffic USA through the account of another individual and an account controlled by the defendant Takkas at Fidelity Bank here in Cayman. That money was then in turn, allegedly, sent to pay for swimming pool work Webb was having done at a property in Georgia and other accounts held in the state by Webb.

The CONCACAF boss is also accused of taking a $1.1 million bribe to award the 2012 Gold Cup/Champions League Contract to Traffic USA via false invoices to a company making soccer strips. Webb allegedly received a further $2 million for the 2013 Gold Cup. Meanwhile, Webb and other CONCACAF officials received several more millions of dollars for the special Copa América Centenario competition.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
To NSC in the States. What sort of coverage is this getting on the news channels?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
David Gill said today that he will step down from Fifa’s executive committee if Sepp Blatter wins Friday’s presidential election.

@SeppBlatter arrives at FIFA Congress. Doesn't not respond when asked why he has not resigned

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Germany, France, England and all the Scandinavian teams withdraw (and who knows about the USA) then the sponsors would drop FIFA immediately. Russia would have to withdraw from UEFA.

It's a house of cards, and it's all about to start falling down.

I agree. The sponsors will pull out of a lesser World Cup and would have to, look at the pressure on them now. And don't underestimate Brazil's propensity to follow the money. They could easily join EUFA and with having had their World Cup they have nothing to lose by doing so. A World Cup without Europe will have all the draw of the African Nations Cup. It's a very minor event in comparison.

I think you'd find that if those countries left, then much of the money would go too. And Spain wouldn't have a choice, as they'll want their club teams in the Champions league, and the same for any Eastern European teams that want to be part of it. Many other countries would like to join the breakoff group, it would just be a matter of time before things changed.

I hope you're all correct on this. I can see the possibility of two world cups looming though, in just the same way that boxing and chess managed to split. We've already got the threat in cricket, I wouldn't like to see football go the same way. I want it quickly resolved with Blatter ushered out (preferably with cuffs on) and a big clean-up in place but life's not always that simple. People will still watch a World Cup without the western Europe teams so the sponsors/advertisers wouldn't necessarily pull out - although they'd want a big discount

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Blatter: I cannot be held responsible for the actions of a minority.

The arrogance of this man is simply amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here