Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Officials Arrested

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
US Fifa corruption inquiry covers bribes allegedly paid for 2010 World Cup in S Africa and Fifa presidency in 2011

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
Unless he is charged by the FBI - and at the moment it looks like he's been clever enough not to directly get involved with the money sloshing about the halls of FIFA - then the only way Blatter will be removed is if the sponsors call for it. He has the 2015 FIFA election won already, as he has been getting the smaller nations on board with grants and a promise of a reduction in the power of the larger football associations.

I think this is the tipping point, but his fall will be protracted - I expect it to come later this year, or perhaps next year.

I sort-of expect that the Swiss criminal probe will end up charging the English FA, and nobody else. But I'm very biased when it comes to the joke commonly referred to as Swiss justice.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Unbelievable that it is the Yanks who are finally bringing FIFA to justice and exposing exactly what has been going on, so many countries including us didn't want to rock the boat and let Blatter and co carry on regardless

It has taken one of the relatively younger FIFA members to challenge the order . i wonder if they had help from anyone :whistle:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Everyone knows this has been going on for years, just too scared to say anything! Fml

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
US Fifa corruption inquiry covers bribes allegedly paid for 2010 World Cup in S Africa and Fifa presidency in 2011

A few associations will be looking at compo for dosh spent on a bidding process that was rigged. This could bankrupt FIFA if it continues to unravel. Happy days.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
- then the only way Blatter will be removed is if the sponsors call for it.

I have always felt that this is the likely scenerio. He may end up being removed but I bet he will live his life out in without being directly charged. I hope I am wrong but Sepp will weasel his way out of it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not too much "everything American bashing" on NSC today? It's a gross humiliation that this wasn't dealt with earlier or by an entity much closer to football's core. Hopefully when many of you are slating the Yanks in the future you might recall that they are the ones cleaning up the beautiful game.

Hold on, it's New York's own Chuck Blazer who has received the $11m in undeclared income that the IRS is investigating/recovering from many, many years ago.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Unbelievable that it is the Yanks who are finally bringing FIFA to justice and exposing exactly what has been going on, so many countries including us didn't want to rock the boat and let Blatter and co carry on regardless

Agree, but if it had been us that had instigated this, it would have been laughed at, in much the same way Jack Warner laughed off the Panorama programme.

The Yanks have far more clout, and Blazer becoming a whistle-blower has massively helped their investigations, but as others have said, I think they (the US Authorities) may well have had some help here.

So it seems 2010 was bought with bribes according to the US , something lots suspected at the time. Now let's see what comes out regarding Russia and Qatar, although that's a separate investigation.

What it needs IMO is for two or three of the major FIFA Sponsors to withdraw support tonight/tomorrow - that's the only way the smaller Countries will move their vote away from Blatter.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
America f*** yeah!

taqt2_09.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A link to an interesting website, and a list of FIFA Sponsors.

http://www.newfifanow.org/find-the-sponsors.html

A social media inspired boycott of these multi-national corps is probably about the limit of the average football fans' ability to do anything about this mess. I'm still a little shocked by some of the allegations made public today. If Warner got 10m for his vote for South Africa, just imagine how much Russia & Qatar paid the executive committee for their world cups? Blatter WILL get re-elected on Friday though because the majority of those voting for him come from countries where corruption is the norm and know that their bung taking days will be over if they don't vote Don Blatterone - sad but true.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Fifa president Sepp Blatter is not among them. Fifa intends to go ahead with a planned election on Friday.

US Attorney General Loretta Lynch was giving details of the US investigation into football's governing body.

Seven of the 14 sports officials were arrested in Switzerland on Wednesday morning.

They are accused of accepting bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m (£97m) over a 24-year period.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is not among them. Fifa intends to go ahead with a planned election on Friday.

US Attorney General Loretta Lynch was giving details of the US investigation into football's governing body.

Seven of the 14 sports officials were arrested in Switzerland on Wednesday morning.

They are accused of accepting bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m (£97m) over a 24-year period.

It seems to be limited to guys in the Americas - ie. whoever this corrupt guy they got to grass had contact with.

So won't affect Blatter directly it seems although the Swiss have announced they are also running a separate investigation which may be more interesting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here