Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Female comediennes, Funny?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Joan Rivers is the only comedienne who can make me laugh, not sure she is everyones cup of tea though as she is a bit much even for me at times

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Joan Rivers is absolutely hilarious.

And personally I would rather see Victoria Wood doing stand-up than most male comedians. saw her a number of years ago and she was brilliant. My wife has lots of her old television stuff on DVD and Acorn Antiques - I know it's not stand-up - made me fall off my chair at one point.

PS - but there aren't many male comedians I would want to go and see live, either.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Female comedians aren't funny, fact. It's not in the genes, females are not natural comics where as men are.

For example, Miranda is probably the worst programme on TV, ever. She's no natural comedian is she, and generally the only people in my friendship group who like Miranda are females, or really immature males.

But let's take Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for example, who are bloody hilarious and have made in my opinion on the the best films ever in SOTD, the humour in it is marvelous and you can just tell they naturally make people laugh, which is why they're so successful.

That Sarah Milican or whatever her name is is not funny either, also whenever Mock The Week throw a female onto the panel they are never funny too.

Leave comedy to the men, ladies, that is all.

Ps - If you find Russel Howard you need to sort out your life, BIG TIME.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Very few comics consistently amuse me. Jack Dee used to but he's lost it. Sean Lock can be hilarious as can Rhod Gilbert. Louis CK is mostly very good, Kitson too but a bit overrated. The likes of Russell Howard, Lee Mack, John Bishop etc are truly awful

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Female comedians aren't funny, fact. It's not in the genes, females are not natural comics where as men are.

For example, Miranda is probably the worst programme on TV, ever. She's no natural comedian is she, and generally the only people in my friendship group who like Miranda are females, or really immature males.

But let's take Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for example, who are bloody hilarious and have made in my opinion on the the best films ever in SOTD, the humour in it is marvelous and you can just tell they naturally make people laugh, which is why they're so successful.

That Sarah Milican or whatever her name is is not funny either, also whenever Mock The Week throw a female onto the panel they are never funny too.

Leave comedy to the men, ladies, that is all.

Ps - If you find Russel Howard you need to sort out your life, BIG TIME.

You realise that the unfunny Sarah Millican made about 2 million quid last year from telling jokes? Miranda made even more.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You realise that the unfunny Sarah Millican made about 2 million quid last year from telling jokes? Miranda made even more.

This is a fact, there is a huge amount of money in stand up. Bernard Manning died a millionaire too as did Jimmy Savile.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Doon Mackichan

I'm not sure how much, if at all, she writes, but her timing and delivery is spot on in everything I've seen her in.

I don't want to name drop or anything, but I met her when I was 12 at a Sam Mendes party. She was smoking a marijuana cigarette and being funny.

In summary - Oh no.!!!

Yes - chris - chris - Calatery Sisters - chris.

Genius! That other lass on The day today who did the American news was brilliant too. Character name Barbera Wintergreen.

Julia Davies in Blue jam is great - you may know her from Gavin n' Tracey.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How much money people make or what TV audience they get is irrelevant. It probably means they are suitable for bland mass-market TV, and almost certainly have to tone down their content (if they even needed to) as a result.

But I don't buy the 'women don't make good comedians' stuff. There are fewer, so you maybe have to look harder, and there are total duds like Miranda and Victoria Wood, just as Billy Connolly and Michael McIntyre aren't in the least bit funny.

But the likes of Sarah Silverman, Joan Rivers are quality acts. Shappi Khorsandi makes me laugh as well. And I would pay to see Lucy Porter, although that is not totally joke-related.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
How many of the people who have posted on this thread regularly go to stand-up comedy, out of interest? Genuine question.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I would rather cut off, marinate, cook, garnish and eat my own testicles than watch Sarah Millican on television for more than the amount of time it takes to change the channel.

It's not a sexist thing at all, I've just never found a female comedian funny, especially her. Maybe it's just because I can't relate to them, I don't know.

(or maybe it's just because they're not funny)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here