Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Favourite Sussex Churches

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Another vote for St. Mary de Haura in Shoreham. St Marys is just dripping with history and atmosphere and perfectly positioned in the town.

It was the ideal venue for the Shoreham Wordfest Appreciating Shakespeare festival that was held last year. I was surprised how good the acoustics were inside

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Driving through Dane Hill the church on the Hill is very impressive.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Some of the very best visits to churches, are the ones in which you discover things you just didn't see coming.

Here are a couple of examples.

In St. Botolphs, Annington Road, Botolphs, there is a leaflet that tells you that the Romans had built a bridge over the river behind it. They built the bridge to enable the transportation of tin that they had mined in Cornwall, on its onward journey to Pevensey. But why didn't they use ships to transport it?

In St. Mary the Virgin, Shipley, is a leaflet in which you learn that the Knights Templar trained nearby. The Knights were trusted to protect pilgrims on their way to the holy land. Before they left in boats from Shipley (the river was navigable then), the pilgrims were given an itemised list of their wealth, by the knights. When they arrived in the holy land, the pilgrims were able to use these lists of wealth, to borrow money. These were, in effect, the first cheques used anywhere in the world.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
St Michael's Amberley, the only book my Dad ever wrote is in there called "Dear Amberley"

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
St Mary’s, Balcombe. Beautiful inside and out.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
St. Peter's in Preston Park, Brighton has some great old murals. It also has a grave of an officer who died of his wounds inflicted at the battle of Waterloo. Preston Manor is next door and in their walled garden you can see the headstones of all the manor cats and dogs.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
St Botolph’s is pretty special, as is the chapel just down the road at Lancing College. St Andrew’s in Steyning is also a stunning building. All Saints Chinch at Wiston is also a lovely spot.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Another vote for St. Mary de Haura in Shoreham. My lounge and bedroom have an uninterrupted view of this gem. It'a an architectural gem and is synonymous with peace and tranquility.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
The Parish Church @ Twineham always looks good this time of year....
20230402_155304.jpg

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
St Michael's in Plumpton for me, right next to the Agricultural College. My parents were married there, I was christened there and my Grandparents spent 50+ years there in various roles. Whenever I am back in Sussex I always pay a visit or at least drive past on the Underhill Road. The Half Moon (which has my Uncle Jim on its mural indoors) is quite handily placed too.....

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
The Parish Church @ Twineham always looks good this time of year....
View attachment 159149
And my Grandad went down there and rang the bells to celebrate my birth when he got the news of my arrival. Used to be a certificate there mentioning this fact. So if you were in Twineham and woken up in the middle of the night on March 24th 1975 by the church bells, that's my fault!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Doing a recce for Sunday’s Arundel Triathlon I came across this 11c Church. St. Leonard’s in South Stoke on the banks of the Arun in a world of its own just a mile and a half from the Black Rabbit.
The 18thC Rectory behind it is my dream house.

View attachment 136647
A beautiful little hamlet and a lovely church. I was surprised to find that the churchyard is used for grazing sheep!

St Mary's, North Stoke (just over the Ghurka bridge), is also very tranquil.

No idea what that pub is you're talking about, though ;)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
St Mary's Church Burpham is lovely and has a great pub opposite.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
St Wulfrans in Ovingdean is a beautiful little place, tucked away at the back of the village. Mentioned in the Domesday book too I believe?

I went there last month when walking over the Downs. What a lovely church and in such a beautiful setting. And named after a Sussex saint too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Another vote for St. Mary de Haura in Shoreham. St Marys is just dripping with history and atmosphere and perfectly positioned in the town.

It was the ideal venue for the Shoreham Wordfest Appreciating Shakespeare festival that was held last year. I was surprised how good the acoustics were inside
I love singing in there.

couple of weeks ago we sang a lovely concert in there, the culmination being Mozart’s Requiem, which is a sublime piece of work…..( shoreham oratorio choir)

the acoustics are certainly excellent

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Ditto re my religious leanings but ultimately the sanctity of almost any church and the mindfulness benefits from either exploring or sitting and reflecting in one has been hugely useful for me.

Have two favourites:

The church at Falmer - scattered mum’s ashes there and parents married there

St Mary’s Church - Harrow on the Hill. It’s on one of my local running routes and has fantastic views out from the hill towards Berkshire. Can often see as far as Hog’s back ridge and Windsor Castle. Also was where Lord Byron sat and wrote during his time at Harrow as a pupil. Very serene.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here