Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Favourite Sussex Churches

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hamsey Church, sitting on a prominent island in the Ouse flood plain, is interesting. Surprisingly large inside for a hamlet these days, from a time of intensive agriculture.

St Mary de Haura Church in the heart of Shoreham has a magnificent interior. 850 years of history.

It's a good bit older than that, nearly 920. . Apparently some of the hosues on Church St were built with flint from the collapsed west wing. My old cottage on the twitten had flints the size of footballs in the walls, which were 18" thick

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Some lovely churches in Sussex
However I have to pick St Barnabas in Hove, right round the corner from the Goldstone ground, as this is where my grandad was vicar and sadly died in his sleep in 1967 before I was born.
He was by all accounts a great man and did missionary work in Burma where he met my gran before WW2.

Attachments

• St_Barnabas'_Church,_Sackville_Road,_Hove_(NHLE_Code_1187547)_(July_2013)_(3).jpg
    St_Barnabas'_Church,_Sackville_Road,_Hove_(NHLE_Code_1187547)_(July_2013)_(3).jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Rare example of a rounded bell tower in Sussex I believe. Think there are only 3 in the whole county, This one, St Michael in Lewes and St Peters in Southease, must be a ink as they are all close to each other.

Mentioned on their website about only 3 in Sussex, I will have to look for the connection.
Glad you mentioned Southease, another favourite and in a lovely village.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
St James' in North Lancing is pretty neat.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I echo others, I'm not really religious but churches are fascinating places, one of my favourites is St Johns at Coolhurst, known locally as Doomsday Church, dating back to the mid 1800's as part of the old Coolhurst Estate, its looking rather unkept these days,and it has a very eerie feel to the place, as if your being watched, rumour has it its haunted and the place of gruesome murders in years gone by, but I just cant help being intrigued by the place.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's a good bit older than that, nearly 920. . Apparently some of the hosues on Church St were built with flint from the collapsed west wing. My old cottage on the twitten had flints the size of footballs in the walls, which were 18" thick

From a lazy look online, I could only see that the oldest remaining parts of the church date to circa 1170.

But not my part of the world, so know more :)

A magnificent venue for carol services .... I've been to a few there.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Another non religious person, my favourite Sussex church is St Michael and All Angels in Southwick. We used to get dragged there from the Glebe School for our Christmas Carol service. Even though it was more often than not freezing cold you couldn't help but be impressed by the architecture and atmosphere. When I was living in Shoreham as an adult I would often wander through the grounds on the way to Southwick Square. It always felt very calm and peaceful. There has been a church of one sort or another on that site for over 1,100 years.

That church really reminds me of my late grandma bless her. She lived in Rectory Road when I was little and we'd walk past the old rectory, through the church yard to Southwick Square for lunch in the Grange cafe and we'd always wander into the church. If there was someone in there I'd bug them to let me ring the bell and I remember a chap telling me I'd disappear right up the spire if he let me.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
4 churches for me:

St Nicholas in Brighton, where my parents were married and I was christened.

All Saints, Patcham where I was in the choir.

St Dunstan's Mayfield, where I got married.

Chiddingly Parish Church, where I live and my children christened.

b2d7069cf6206f09e83f7fc1cc0d5e42.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Too many - I'm a big fan of silent churches. However, I'd pick out St Michael's, Up Marden; St Michael and All Angels, Berwick; Church of the Good Shepherd, Lullington; St Mary's, Chithurst; St Andrew's, Ford; St Bartholomew's, Brighton.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
St Agnes, by the Goldstone - Sunday school. The original Panini stickers - Unfortunately these were biblical characters and not Spurs, Wolves and Burnley who were top teams at the time.
All Saints Hove - in the choir. 6d a service or practice (2/6d a week maximum paid quarterly). Fabulous organ.
Just moved to Henfield where we can see St Peter’s church and hear the bells from the back garden. Magic.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
From a lazy look online, I could only see that the oldest remaining parts of the church date to circa 1170.

But not my part of the world, so know more :)

A magnificent venue for carol services .... I've been to a few there.

I used to literally live next door, not a religious person just a nice house/location, I went to my neighbours funeral in thewre, the sound from the choir was amazing.

be a great place for gigs. Went to a friends gig in Barts end of '19, that was rather good too, especially the acoustic rendition of anarchy in the UK as an encore :clap2:

Another nice old one, My grand and great grandparents on my mothers side are buried here, they moved nearby in the 30's https://sussexparishchurches.org/church/shipley-st-mary/

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
sompting church.jpg

Church of St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Sompting with its rare 4 sided pyramid tower dating back to the 11th century.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I used to literally live next door, not a religious person just a nice house/location, I went to my neighbours funeral in thewre, the sound from the choir was amazing.

be a great place for gigs. Went to a friends gig in Barts end of '19, that was rather good too, especially the acoustic rendition of anarchy in the UK as an encore :clap2:

Another nice old one, My grand and great grandparents on my mothers side are buried here, they moved nearby in the 30's https://sussexparishchurches.org/church/shipley-st-mary/

It's so interesting, the Saxon and Norman history of this part of the world. Buildings or parts of buildings lasting a 1,000 years, through the Reformation and fads.

I've never lived near Shoreham, but that quaint quarter by the church and little traffic is lovely. Before we had kids, we used to travel over to dine at the lovely La Galleria.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here