Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite country walks in Sussex

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Bus is the only way to travel on Romney Marsh though the miniature railway is actually used for the school run in morning and afternoon.

It sounds such an odd combination. A nuclear power station on one side, a miniature railway on the other!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Make sure you visit the sound mirrors, an early concrete form of radar, near Greatstone too.

Think those sound mirrors were featured in Coast as well, they look very interesting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In that case walk from Rye to Dungeness then have a ride on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway to New Romney where you can pick up a bus back to Rye. Alternatively you can do it the other way round by starting at Dungeness after bus and miniature railway ride and heading back to Rye which would mean not having to worry about getting to the RHDR or bus before the last one goes. I'd also time it so you can walk on the extensive sands at Camber. You'll also have to remember when you are on Dungeness that you'd be walking on shingle which is never the best surface to walk on.

The warm water pumped out of Dungeness nuclear power station does indeed attract the wildlife in the waters to the south of it.

The "warm" water pumped out is only a couple of degrees warmer than the sea, very little efect really. However has always been good fishing there and as it is so desolate ( Not many Humans ) wildlife thrives.

As someone who is fortunate enough to live in the depths of the Sussex countryside, can I speak up for the walk I did this afternoon? Brighton Station to the Seafront, via the North Laine and Victoria Gardens, returning via St James's Street.

Genuinely pleasant.

As for country walks - one of my current favourites is across the flat fields that border Laughton Levels. No-one ever goes there and there's nothing to see - apart from views of the downs and the Caburn and one delightful old barn (a good mile from the nearest road) that has been occupied this spring by nesting barn owls. Last time I did this walk, I disturbed a huge grass snake that scurried off in the direction of a safe hedgerow.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sorry can't pick just one, so here's a selection.

Saltdean to Rodmell
East Preston to Birling Gap and back to the Tiger Inn
Loop round Arlington Reservoir followed by the Yew Tree Inn
Steyning to Cissbury and Chanctonbury Rings
Petworth Park
Goodwood Trundle Hill to West Dean Loop

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hastings Old Town, up over the east hill and ecclesbourne glen and onto fairlight , then back along the beach to where you started from.

Or the above in reverse, depending on the tide times :thumbsup:

D

Deleted User X18H

Following the footpath behind West Blatchington Schools ( trying to ignore the by pass )
at the top of Toads Hole Valley and on to Brighton and Hove Golf Course and further onwards to the Dyke !!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Mile oak to Beeding
Stanmer woods you can spend all day there and I often did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here