Favourite country walks in Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Seeing as it is that time of year, what are everyone's favourite Sussex country walks?

This thread is inspired by me revisiting an old favourite walk of mine, Seaford to Eastbourne via Seven Sisters/Beachy Head. Amazing walk but I ache a little today!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All good things start in Seaford.
Is that big enough?

Attachments

• 7sisters2.JPG
    7sisters2.JPG
    688.8 KB · Views: 302

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Or end in Seaford..

I did a very nice Brighton to Seaford coastal walk before, featuring the excellent Tide Mills.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Walking underneath the Seven Sisters between Birling Gap and Cuckmere is pretty good. Other than that I tend to like walking in places I've not been before, last week walked from Battle to the coast at Bexhill which was nice. Getting off the beaten track can be far more interesting than following routes like the South Downs Way and other major footpaths. Although not quite in Sussex the huge shingle bank at Dungeness is a particular favourite of mine.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
. Getting off the beaten track can be far more interesting than following routes like the South Downs Way and other major footpaths. Although not quite in Sussex the huge shingle bank at Dungeness is a particular favourite of mine.

I'm looking forward to Dungeness!

Me and a friend have walked from Brighton to Rye in various installments along the coast(Brighton to Seaford, Seaford to Eastbourne, Eastbourne to Hastings, Hastings to Rye) so Dungeness is coming up as the next stop.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'm looking forward to Dungeness!

Me and a friend have walked from Brighton to Rye in various installments along the coast(Brighton to Seaford, Seaford to Eastbourne, Eastbourne to Hastings, Hastings to Rye) so Dungeness is coming up as the next stop.

You might have a problem with the military ranges at Lydd, it is possible to walk along the coast to Dungeness but only when the army aren't practicing firing their artillery out to sea. Unfortunately, there is no information about when the ranges are not used (and it isn't that often they are not) so you'll only find out whether they are when you get there by whether the red warning flag is flying or not. Otherwise you'll have to follow the road to Lydd then walk down to the coast.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Reminds me to go for a walk next Sunday to Cuckmere Haven - superb walk

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
You might have a problem with the military ranges at Lydd, it is possible to walk along the coast to Dungeness but only when the army aren't practicing firing their artillery out to sea. Unfortunately, there is no information about when the ranges are not used (and it isn't that often they are not) so you'll only find out whether they are when you get there by whether the red warning flag is flying or not. Otherwise you'll have to follow the road to Lydd then walk down to the coast.

Yes I'd noticed the "danger zone" while looking through OS maps.

Dungeness looks very surreal though, I can't wait to get down there. Problem is, during our previous walks, we have always begun and ended at a railway station but I think it's a massive gap from Rye to whatever the next station is. So we may have to do a two day walk staying at Lydd or somewhere along the way and conclude day two near Sandling or Westhanger(or whatever those stations are called).

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Yes I'd noticed the "danger zone" while looking through OS maps.

Dungeness looks very surreal though, I can't wait to get down there. Problem is, during our previous walks, we have always begun and ended at a railway station but I think it's a massive gap from Rye to whatever the next station is. So we may have to do a two day walk staying at Lydd or somewhere along the way and conclude day two near Sandling or Westhanger(or whatever those stations are called).

I used to walk down there when I didn't drive, what I'd do is get a train to Rye then the bus which links Hastings and Folkestone and runs through Camber, Lydd and New Romney. On one occasion I combined that with the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. It can all be done in a day.

Dungeness is very surreal, miles and miles of shingle banks in a totally flat terrain whose only focal point is the nuclear power station. Make sure you visit the sound mirrors, an early concrete form of radar, near Greatstone too.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I used to walk down there when I didn't drive, what I'd do is get a train to Rye then the bus which links Hastings and Folkestone and runs through Camber, Lydd and New Romney. On one occasion I combined that with the Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway. It can all be done in a day.

Dungeness is very surreal, miles and miles of shingle banks in a totally flat terrain whose only focal point is the nuclear power station. Make sure you visit the sound mirrors, an early concrete form of radar, near Greatstone too.

I think we'd like to walk to Dungeness from Rye to keep the journey going on foot.

Yes I've read about the sound mirrors. Isn't it full of certain wildlife round there, due to the warm water generated by the plant?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
1) Lewes to Glynde, over the Downs by going up Chapel Hill past the Golf Course, then on up to Mount Caburn before dropping down into Glynde for a restorative pint of Harveys (or three) at the Trevor Arms before getting the train back to Lewes.

2) Going along the Downs from Southease/Rodmell past Firle Beacon then dropping down into Berwick for a restorative pint of Harveys (or three) at the Cricketers before getting the train back to Lewes.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I think we'd like to walk to Dungeness from Rye to keep the journey going on foot.

Yes I've read about the sound mirrors. Isn't it full of certain wildlife round there, due to the warm water generated by the plant?

In that case walk from Rye to Dungeness then have a ride on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway to New Romney where you can pick up a bus back to Rye. Alternatively you can do it the other way round by starting at Dungeness after bus and miniature railway ride and heading back to Rye which would mean not having to worry about getting to the RHDR or bus before the last one goes. I'd also time it so you can walk on the extensive sands at Camber. You'll also have to remember when you are on Dungeness that you'd be walking on shingle which is never the best surface to walk on.

The warm water pumped out of Dungeness nuclear power station does indeed attract the wildlife in the waters to the south of it.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
In that case walk from Rye to Dungeness then have a ride on the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway to New Romney where you can pick up a bus back to Rye. Alternatively you can do it the other way round by starting at Dungeness after bus and miniature railway ride and heading back to Rye which would mean not having to worry about getting to the RHDR or bus before the last one goes. I'd also time it so you can walk on the extensive sands at Camber. You'll also have to remember when you are on Dungeness that you'd be walking on shingle which is never the best surface to walk on.

The warm water pumped out of Dungeness nuclear power station does indeed attract the wildlife in the waters to the south of it.

Yes I had noticed the buses when I was in Rye and heard about the mini railway.

I remember walking on the shingle on a section of our walk near Cooden's Beach and it just makes everything take so much longer. Clamouring over big fallen rocks by Hastings beach near Fairlight will take some beating as the most arduous section of the walk so far.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
1) Lewes to Glynde, over the Downs by going up Chapel Hill past the Golf Course, then on up to Mount Caburn before dropping down into Glynde for a restorative pint of Harveys (or three) at the Trevor Arms before getting the train back to Lewes.

2) Going along the Downs from Southease/Rodmell past Firle Beacon then dropping down into Berwick for a restorative pint of Harveys (or three) at the Cricketers before getting the train back to Lewes.

I've combined elements of those two before. I've got off at Southease, walked up alongside the river into Lewes, then gone up to the Golf Course, down Mount Caburn, hit the Trevor Arms. After that, head up Beddingham Hill(?) and then down to Southease.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports