Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Aussie A League team

Oct 2, 2008
Melbourne Victory for me. I get quite regularly updated as my nephew (who also follows the Albion) is one of the North Terrace boys. Fair to say that he is not a fan of Melbourne Heart !.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I have a question, why do non-European teams have bizarre names? Like LA Galaxy, or New York Cosmos...

So they aren't associated with any specific ethnic groups and most likely because most other town and local animal names are already in use.

LA has a tonne of sporting teams from college through to professional levels.

The "mighty" Melbourne Victory. The one thing I missed when I moved out 10 years ago was going to watch live football. Am a founder member and even been to a few away trips.

The names are a bit odd, but you get used to it. The local market loves a nickname, so to fit in they gave all the teams nicknames.

Standard of football isn't great, but is improving year on year and with a salary cap in place, the competition stays fairly even.

rosscrudos

Mar 17, 2008
I have been to five games since the A league started, and all have been pretty average. Although since they opened AMMI park it has been much better. I just can't get excited by it, although I think I prefer Melbourne Heart overall, no real reason, just prefer their kit! (yes, I am a very shallow man!)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Heart for me...I went to see Victory a few times and I just couldn't be doing with the song at the end. Scotland the brave is it? I f***ing hate the Bagpipes! (love the Scots by the way this is not a racial thing).

Although I must admit to not having see Heart yet, so i don't now what their song is.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agreed. Lovely shirts! (black with a red diagonal band)

Geelong Cats are the only AFL team worth worrying about! 3 premierships in 5 years and a youthful playing group to ensure competitiveness for the foreseeable future!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Geelong Cats are the only AFL team worth worrying about! 3 premierships in 5 years and a youthful playing group to ensure competitiveness for the foreseeable future!

Still a long way off emulating the mighty Carlton Blues and their 16 premierships!

17 is on its way...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Still a long way off emulating the mighty Carlton Blues and their 16 premierships!

17 is on its way...

Copy%20image%20cycler%20316x246.jpg

Are you here yet? We're waiting! :lol::lol::clap::clap:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We're waiting for you to reach double figures for premierships. Taking long enough :thumbsup:

Oh come on that's not fair! There are only so many dodgy gangsters prepared to bankroll football clubs to go round (and ignore salary caps!)

Heart for me...I went to see Victory a few times and I just couldn't be doing with the song at the end. Scotland the brave is it? I f***ing hate the Bagpipes! (love the Scots by the way this is not a racial thing).

"victory the brave" and it is another awful abomination carried over from AFL.

I don't get the people who dont go cos the standard is 'poor' - how else will it get better other than people going?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I have a question, why do non-European teams have bizarre names? Like LA Galaxy, or New York Cosmos...

Did you know that Cosmos was intended to be a variation of Metros, so is supposed to be pronounced as Cosmoes? You do now.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I probably support the Heart because they have ties to Geelong and my secondary college through Josip Skoko and John Didulica. His dad has a punt at my local TAB.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Went to see Perth Glory play Melbourne Victory a couple of years ago, so I guess I hang my flag on them (and the purple shirts). 3-2 final score to Glory , oh, and Nick Ward was playing for Victory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here