Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO The Ben roberts Fans

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Scotty M said:
oh dear - roberts made a mistake! and perfect kuipers has never made a mistake before? the fact is roberts mistake didn't cost us.....he redeemed himself by saving the penalty, and then saving the rebound. he didn't cause the second penalty, and lets face it, keepers don't usually save them. i mean, i can't ever remember kuipers saving a penalty apart from one. it sounded to me that apart from that major cock up, roberts had a good game in the second half

Well said Scotty. Some people on here are right up Kuipers *rse as if he never makes mistakes, but of course his fans choose to forget that he does.

Nov 3, 2003
LOrd B spot on : "Shouting "AWAY!" at your defenders is not goalkeeping."

The genius continues to give his support to BEN ROBERTS as the Albion no. 1 keeper, he has the right ideas dribblingthe ball outta the area sumtiems though it can be seen as clowning about i think the training sessions need to cover mnore of these situations in the game as there is the disticnt advantage if u can play your keeper as the last defender. I wish kippers well after his accident and a fully speedy recovery but i do hope he never plays for the Albion again as i wood rather have Roberts in goal any day. The reason he 'clowns' about with the balls so much is the defence lets him down so often so please lend him his support as he needs sumthing to make up for the awful defending we do or rather dont do at times.

FG SAYS PLAY BEN ROBERTS!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The issue with Roberts is he is not installing confidence in the team, for the first penalty all he had to do was hoof the ball into the stand and the danger was gone, but he had to go on one of his stupid dribbles and we are suddenly in trouble. Fair enough that he saved it, but we should not have conceded the thing in the first place. With regards to Kuipers his kicking has gone completely and that is likely when fit to keep him out of the side.

However yesterday there are more worrying things than the keepers. A defence that seemed unable to defend, at the moment Mayo, Watson and Butters do not inspire confidence and we seem to have decided to start whacking the ball up field, I guess at least they were aiming for McPhee for a change, just a shame that in the first half he was showing the touch of a rapist. Other than a couple of spells in each half we seemed to totally lack ideas, which is a worry, however Tranmere did not really deserve anything from the game.

Final point, how did Watson get back in the side. His free kick towards the end of the game summed up how bad he has got, it nearly cleared the away end.

All in all a good day wrecked by 90 minutes of football, nothing like champagne in first class at 8am.....

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

Final point, how did Watson get back in the side. His free kick towards the end of the game summed up how bad he has got, it nearly cleared the away end.

why was el-abd suddenly dropped? i thought he was doing all right

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Both El-Abd and Hinshlewood have been dropped for Watson at some point this season and I have no idea why. When Watson could deliver a good set piece you could justify his inclusion, but as he has forgotten how to do that and he cannot defend, there is no way he should be anywhere near that matchday squad.

exactly! i reckon hinshlewood should be playing at right back. hes looked most comftable there, apart from the fact thta his distrubution isn't very good. but then we can't string 5 passes together anyway

Beefy said:
The goalkeeper isn't to blame for today or any of our defeats.We should get behind Roberts or Kuipers as they are both fine for this division.

Completely agree! why should we use Roberts as a scapegoat.

I take it you were at the match then Wilko? Apparently the save was fantastic (I am blind and it was at the opposite side of the pitch so couldn't see, but was on TV this morning and my brother saw it) and wether he saved it or not, to only let in a goal (or possibly 2!!!) when it is a penalty is ok in my books! If we can sort out our defence a little more then we wouldn't be giving these silly decisions away. I see no-one has slagged of Chippy in all of this?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I dont think changing our keeper is our main priority at the moment as we have two of the stongest in the division.Most of the team are not matching last seasons performances and a stiker is needed desperately.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am sorry but I am not alone here in my concerns over Roberts. Read the report someone has put on here, listen to other fans and the phone in, even Harty has his concerns.

Answer honestly here,, when a pass back goes to Roberts do you feel confident he will deal with it ?

No I don't but I feel comfortable with him when someone takes a shot or puts a cross in, which I didn't with Kuipers as he couldn't place himself well in goal this season IMHO.

I also don't feel comfortable when:

- Jones crosses
- Knight goes down
- Mayo passing.

And I am sure you have worries too. Roberts is onew of the best in this division and the whole team need to get a little confidence. so stop moaning about Roberts in goal and get behind the WHOLE team. We don't have anyone else and when Kuipers is back, McGhee will use the BEST goalkeeper in his opinion!:clap:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I do want to get behond the team and Roberts could improve his game and opinion from the fans 100% by stopping these silly litlle dribbles and errors.

Imagine BB you travelled 600 miles yesterday and 'That' penalty had gone in and Carpenter sent off (as he should have been by the book). I think some fans would have been raging even more than they all ready are.

I dont want to argue about this as its all matter of opinions, some people are Roberts fans and some are Kuipers fans, as long as the team gets back on track and on to winning ways then we will all be a happier bunch.

BHA 4eva

:bhasign: :bhasign: :bhasign: :bhasign: :albion:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not going to make a point on Roberts v Kupiers right now both because I haven't yet seen a game this season (roll on end of January) and because Kuipers is injured and therefore it's a pretty pointless argument.

However I have to say this having read this thread and Simon's match report (excellent as ever, I can almost smell the dog-burgers when I read them!).

I do not trust any goalkeeper that comes out beyond his 18 yard line and then dribbles. There's absolutley no call for it. Did Gordon Banks, Pat Jennings, Peter Shilton, Chris Woods or David Seamen ever do this? I don't want my keeper to be a frustrated centre forward thanks, I want him to save shots, catch crosses and dominate and organise my defence.

Bruce Grobblear was the biggest clown in English football. You can argue amoungst yourselves as people who've actually seen it whether Roberts is in the same category but I do not want an Oscar winner at number 1, I want the accounts clerk who every year gets the general ledger to balance at 4.55 on 31st December and then goes home quietly satisfied.

Last edited:

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Ben Roberts has the ability to make great saves, but 2 or 3 times a game he makes ridiculous errors. When these errors cost the team goals they invariably lose us the game. When Kuipers is fit Roberts must be dropped.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
unfortinetly roberts is all we got untill FDM get's kit again, id rather see kuipers in goal now though

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Im the same as you guinness as I haven't seen either play this season but I have to say ALL goalies make errors at some time or other, as do all players, it just tends to be more costly with a 'keeper. However it does seem that, although Kuipers may drop the odd costly clanger, Roberts is making two or three bad errors of judgement every single game (almost every commentary I hear that he has struggled with crosses as well as the grobbelar dribbles).
It's unecessary and can make a goalie a liability rather than an asset.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I must admit I'm a Kuipers fan but while Roberts in goal I will support him. Yesterday was another example of his weaknesses going off for a wander and making a hash of clearing the ball. We all make mistakes and hopefully Ben will finally learn his now!!! What I do like about him he had the guts to come over to us yesterday and applaud us he could have done a Knight and stormed off.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
albiongirl said:
What I do like about him he had the guts to come over to us yesterday and applaud us he could have done a Knight and stormed off.

Quite right, Albiongirl. I remember reading that he is very popular with the other players and is a good influence in the dressing room. From what I've read and seen of him in interviews, he comes across as a really decent commited guy - not one with the attitude of a journeyman, as someone once decribed him. I'm sure he can adjust his style of play to stop this unnecessary dribbling! Having done that, I'd rather him in goal than Kuipers, although I have nothing against Kuipers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here