Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans Forum next Thursday...are you going?...even if you aren't ....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The season after will probably suggest they can't as more fans decide not to renew

What if they promise to be ahead of the game regarding signings at the end of next season, oh hang on that's what they said at the end of last season. No doubt they'll come out with more spin to encourage us to renew next year regardless of how this season goes, and we'll fall for it again, I imagine.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What if they promise to be ahead of the game regarding signings at the end of next season, oh hang on that's what they said at the end of last season. No doubt they'll come out with more spin to encourage us to renew next year regardless of how this season goes, and we'll fall for it again, I imagine.

Sadly wouldn't matter what they said I would renew regardless its in the blood and gives me something to do on Saturdays during the season

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Anyone asking about signings will get something along the lines of: 'we're working very hard to get players in before the window shuts and we're confident that we will have a competitive squad for the season ahead'.

Anyone asking why the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley money hasn't been reinvested will get: 'we had our highest ever playing budget last season and expect it to be higher this season etc etc'.

If I was going, I'd be wanting to know the official line on Burke's sacking, a concrete AIM for this season (not 'what you think the squad is capable of' or some other cop-out, what we are actually aiming to achieve) from Hughton and Bloom, and why the club were apparently trying to convince Hyypia to stay when he was clearly going to get us relegated with a whimper. It was obvious to all of us, as shown at the Millwall game, so why was it not obvious to the powers that be?

Though I'm not sure any of those questions would actually be answered either..

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sadly wouldn't matter what they said I would renew regardless its in the blood and gives me something to do on Saturdays during the season

Exactly and they know it, just staying up will suffice.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Signings have been strong so far and we seem to have a strong defence and some good attacking midfielders . Hemed looks promising but he can't do it all on his own . Maybe we give the Finnish rookie an early chance if we haven't bought another striker ? Maybe he's up to it and he's 6 ft 4 - so a big advantage in certain games perhaps? you never know until you try . Otherwise A Q for Tony - how long will it take for the academy to provide the quality we need to take us to the next level?
Southampton did it and that seems to be our model for the future - is that our strategy Tony ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I'm perplexed. Perhaps Bloom / the board really believed that Hyypia would turn it round. Naive, loyal, and with hindsight mistaken but probably what happened. They'd invested a lot in the bloke and respected him even after Millwall. Although if they had sounded out Hughton by then they're not going to admit it. Perhaps Bloom didn't reinvest all the money in the playing budget because the club loses £15m a year which he has to cough up for and he wanted it to lose £10m instead ? (Barber has already effectively said this). Not sure where else you think the money has gone. Perhaps they really are working hard to get players in and not sitting about looking out of the window. Its frustrating that they haven't finished their business yet but thats negotiation and they want to get the best price. But what do you think its *really* down to ? (Hughton says this every week anyway as do most clubs this time of year. ).

But what do you think the reasons *really* are ? Given i'm assuming that you think the above , if thats how they do answer questions like that, are all spin and untrue.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Anyone asking about signings will get something along the lines of: 'we're working very hard to get players in before the window shuts and we're confident that we will have a competitive squad for the season ahead'.

Anyone asking why the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley money hasn't been reinvested will get: 'we had our highest ever playing budget last season and expect it to be higher this season etc etc'.

If I was going, I'd be wanting to know the official line on Burke's sacking, a concrete AIM for this season (not 'what you think the squad is capable of' or some other cop-out, what we are actually aiming to achieve) from Hughton and Bloom, and why the club were apparently trying to convince Hyypia to stay when he was clearly going to get us relegated with a whimper. It was obvious to all of us, as shown at the Millwall game, so why was it not obvious to the powers that be?

This. Spot on.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm perplexed. Perhaps Bloom / the board really believed that Hyypia would turn it round. Naive, loyal, and with hindsight mistaken but probably what happened. They'd invested a lot in the bloke and respected him even after Millwall. Although if they had sounded out Hughton by then they're not going to admit it. Perhaps Bloom didn't reinvest all the money in the playing budget because the club loses £15m a year which he has to cough up for and he wanted it to lose £10m instead ? (Barber has already effectively said this). Not sure where else you think the money has gone. Perhaps they really are working hard to get players in and not sitting about looking out of the window. Its frustrating that they haven't finished their business yet but thats negotiation and they want to get the best price. But what do you think its *really* down to ? (Hughton says this every week anyway as do most clubs this time of year. ).

But what do you think the reasons *really* are ? Given i'm assuming that you think the above , if thats how they do answer questions like that, are all spin and untrue.

Re Hyppia, are you seriously suggesting that Bloom thought Hyypia would turn it around even after Millwall? A cynic would say he let the crowd drive Hyypia out and save himself a lot of money on his very big mistake. I don't believe for a minute anyone could have expected things to get better under Hyypia, there wasn't a single sign that they would by then. :shrug:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I wonder if Gillingham Jane will be there asking about pies again. ???

She went to Gillingham you know.....

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Signings have been strong so far and we seem to have a strong defence and some good attacking midfielders . Hemed looks promising but he can't do it all on his own . Maybe we give the Finnish rookie an early chance if we haven't bought another striker ? Maybe he's up to it and he's 6 ft 4 - so a big advantage in certain games perhaps? you never know until you try . Otherwise A Q for Tony - how long will it take for the academy to provide the quality we need to take us to the next level?
Southampton did it and that seems to be our model for the future - is that our strategy Tony ?
What good attacking players is that?
Kayal Yes,but the rest are as average as you'll get in this league I'm afraid...Can you honestly see Stephens,ince,crofts and jfc scoring goals or creating chances?
Who's goner put the crosses In with no quality on the wings and no pace through the middle and only one striker out of the 4 (baldock) who has pace???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Re Hyppia, are you seriously suggesting that Bloom thought Hyypia would turn it around even after Millwall? A cynic would say he let the crowd drive Hyypia out and save himself a lot of money on his very big mistake. I don't believe for a minute anyone could have expected things to get better under Hyypia, there wasn't a single sign that they would by then. :shrug:

I've no idea, its the thought with the questions earlier (and either his previous statements or predicting what he will say) that his answers about this are all spin, he's evading giving you the real answer.
But i've no idea what that real answer might be or what on earth they're covering up. But you're convinced he will be. He hired him , he was loyal to him and in the he end accepted his resignation.
He and Barber have subsequently regretted to fans what a disappointment last season was. What, as a question, (and this was the OP) are you trying to get him to confess to or say?
Given he had to hire Hughton in the middle of the season at great cost, lost a substantial amount of revenue last season as a (indirect) result of hiring SH and the failure that followed in terms of results, league position, season ticket holder decline, attendances then then as a money making excercise it was a pretty poor one.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've no idea, its the thought with the questions earlier (and either his previous statements or predicting what he will say) that his answers about this are all spin, he's evading giving you the real answer.
But i've no idea what that real answer might be or what on earth they're covering up. But you're convinced he will be. He hired him , he was loyal to him and in the he end accepted his resignation.
He and Barber have subsequently regretted to fans what a disappointment last season was. What, as a question, (and this was the OP) are you trying to get him to confess to or say?
Given he had to hire Hughton in the middle of the season at great cost, lost a substantial amount of revenue last season as a (indirect) result of hiring SH and the failure that followed in terms of results, league position, season ticket holder decline, attendances then then as a money making excercise it was a pretty poor one.

I am not trying to get anything out of them, I just couldn't accept your suggestion that Hyypia was kept on out of loyalty or naivety. Bloom is a hard nosed business man and nothing wrong with that. His actions will be driven by business sense not emotion. If he'd sacked Hyypia I imagine the subsequent costs would have escalated substantially, as I believe he was on a three year contract? Letting the fans make him walk is actually quite smart IMO.

I'm not sure if your comments about expectations are aimed at me or the op? I don't expect anything but the same platitudes, this is big business and they are not going to do their dirty laundry at a fan's forum.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not sure if your comments about expectations are aimed at me or the op? I don't expect anything but the same platitudes, this is big business and they are not going to do their dirty laundry at a fan's forum.

Obviously agreed you don't say the same in public as in private in any business. And yes its the OP and several others who have quoted him and written similar are frustrated, i think, that the likely answers will be spin and not satisfactory. I'm just not sure what that means or is just another way of saying for they think anything Tony Bloom says is not true.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Obviously agreed you don't say the same in public as in private in any business. And yes its the OP and several others who have quoted him and written similar are frustrated, i think, that the likely answers will be spin and not satisfactory. I'm just not sure what that means or is just another way of saying for they think anything Tony Bloom says is not true.

I wasn't insinuating that any of the 'statements' regarding playing budget or transfers were untrue, just that there is no way the top officials will go spilling the beans on them in public (somewhat understandably).

I wasn't insinuating that any of the 'statements' regarding playing budget or transfers were untrue, just that there is no way the top officials will go spilling the beans on them in public (somewhat understandably).

Doesn't all this information appear in the annual accounts/return to Companies House (as football costs, player trading balance, player registration fee amortisation etc)?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I'm sure you're not. The forum is a live radio show where they answer questions for an hour. I'm sure they'll rehearse it or prepare for it but they won't be reading out statements.
As for "spilling the beans" (it sounds like they're criminals in some bad gangster/crime movie) then they do talk in public quite frequently about the playing budget. The size of fees etc are also all public in the clubs annual accounts that they publish every January if you want to know how exactly the money is spent or the money received.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here