Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan advisory board

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
That’s all very well, but if the process is for other fans to vote on who to select then we need to know more about the candidates. Perhaps for those that want more info, the application forms could be made available somewhere for voters to read?

I’m not knocking the club at all for the due diligence they’ve undoubtedly done to shortlist the candidates. Just making a suggestion to make the voting a) easier and b) hopefully increasing the overall number of fans engaged with that process. Personally, I have not enough to go on in order to cast a vote. Others may disagree.
I agree. I opened the voting form today and then read through the bios. There's simply not enough information for me to choose one over another. They all sound like decent, reasonable people so how am I supposed to decide? it's essentially a completely random choice.

But I'm not sure what the answer is. Video sounds like a decent suggestion, but the quality will invariably vary significantly, to the benefit of some applicants and the detriment of others. Having numerous videos for the club to review and vet would only further slow down the process too.

FWIW, as a candidate I tend to agree that I would have preferred to write more / make more information available to help show people why I would be a good choice before voting. The application process was lengthy (a good thing!) and I shared a lot of detail about my professional and personal experience that I'm sure would have been helpful for people.

Appreciate not everyone could be bothered to read lots of detail...but I could always share it actively now if people would like access to it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I do find it strange the club have promoted this very little on social media, to actually encourage people to vote.
Come on . It’s not a conspiracy Jack. There’s other stuff like new signings, shirts and tours to talk about.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Come on . It’s not a conspiracy Jack. There’s other stuff like new signings, shirts and tours to talk about.
Where have I said it’s a conspiracy? I just think it’s strange the club haven’t posted a Twitter post, Facebook post or Instagram post saying, this is where you can vote. Because it will get more people to vote. I don’t know about most people but I don’t check the club website news section much.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Where have I said it’s a conspiracy? I just think it’s strange the club haven’t posted a Twitter post, Facebook post or Instagram post saying, this is where you can vote. Because it will get more people to vote. I don’t know about most people but I don’t check the club website news section much.
Starting from the position that the club generally do actively well in most areas, I do find it frustrating that some people feel obliged to react so strongly against any suggestion that anything they do (whether in signings, ticket sales or whatever) is anything other than perfect.
The best people in the world make mistakes, the key is to recognise that and learn from them.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Starting from the position that the club generally do actively well in most areas, I do find it frustrating that some people feel obliged to react so strongly against any suggestion that anything they do (whether in signings, ticket sales or whatever) is anything other than perfect.
The best people in the world make mistakes, the key is to recognise that and learn from them.

This.

I’m amazed that some posters are able to post from so deep inside the club’s collective colon.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I get all my info from here and the club website. That leaves no time for Twitter, Facebook or Instagram. I guess that's partly why it's older generation candidates up for election.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
More to this but the club were disappointed with the turnout for the vote last time, so why not post it on social media. Seems a bit odd to me.

Albion1066

Jul 19, 2023
I’m abit late to the party on this thread so apologies - I am Andy Goodchild one of the candidates for the Fan Advisory Board nominations.

I totally agree with the comments regarding selection of candidates for the voting. Unless you personally know the individual it is hard to make an informed decision on a 100 word bio. Conversely from our perspective it’s hard “selling yourself” in 100 words as every individual will have their preferred criteria of an appropriate candidate to vote for.

What I will say is that as a fan I didn’t feel connected enough with the FAB so it was a case of if you can’t beat them join them. To me the key to the process is making fans voices heard and publicised especially via social media platforms. That two way open and frank communication is the key to any forum adding value.

The most productive discussions I’ve had so far in deciding on a suitable candidate to chose from are around peoples issues. On some of the Facebook pages I have been asked my thoughts on topical issues and responded appropriately. This has probably been the most effective way of people deciding who to vote for rather than me saying vote for me I’m a good bloke 😂.

It is also difficult sometimes to big yourself up to strangers or those that you don’t know. I do see from this thread that Jack has kindly endorsed me as well as one of the regular Bluesaway travellers which is much appreciated. To conclude I had to provide a reference for the role from a fellow Albion fan (NB content was not influenced by myself). I thought a fairly unbiased view from an Ex police chief inspector may help some of your voting choices so have included below.

Thank you for debating the issue and whoever you decide to vote for I would encourage you all to use the vote in some way 🙏.

“I am a retired Chief Inspector from Sussex Police and I have known Andy Goodchild for about 6 years and he recently retired at a young age from a career in finance. He is an Albion season ticket holder and attends all home and away games and is also a qualified FA coach having coached numerous Sussex teams. Andy is mature, passionate about football and sensible in his comments and professional in how he conducts himself. He knows the Albion in depth . He is creative in his thoughts and would bring initiative to discussion whilst also being a safe pair of hands in the forum . He is a good communicator equally happy discussing at senior and junior levels. He is a good team player, confident in groups and an overall nice guy who I think would make a valued contribution to the fans forum . Peter Mills Fan Number 70086575”

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I agree. I opened the voting form today and then read through the bios. There's simply not enough information for me to choose one over another. They all sound like decent, reasonable people so how am I supposed to decide? it's essentially a completely random choice.

But I'm not sure what the answer is. Video sounds like a decent suggestion, but the quality will invariably vary significantly, to the benefit of some applicants and the detriment of others. Having numerous videos for the club to review and vet would only further slow down the process too.
Having decided I would vote and assuming that all candidates had the same opportunity and limitations on creating their bios I chose based on voting for those that used the bio to show what they could bring from their experiences. Whilst I am sure they are all good and worthy people and that should be given immense credit for stepping up I chose not to give my vote to those that simply gave the 'apprentice' type 'I am enthusiastic and would make a great.......'

No idea who I've voted for, or whether they will perform any better than those I didn't, but I have done my part. Not voting IMO achieves even less than voting.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I see, so some people's criteria for voting for someone is not reading what they say they have to offer, but its as long as they know them. Brilliant.

Those that are able to read can take a look at www.bhafc-fab.co.uk and see what has been going on in the past year. A sound base that the new FAB will I am sure build upon.
After reading all of them, I couldn’t really distinguish between what they said. All seemed like good candidates, but I know of 3 of them, so that was the defining factor, there’s not much to go off than that. Should I have done a random pot luck vote, as I couldn’t decide? I don’t know what else I would decide it on?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
After reading all of them, I couldn’t really distinguish between what they said. All seemed like good candidates, but I know of 3 of them, so that was the defining factor, there’s not much to go off than that. Should I have done a random pot luck vote, as I couldn’t decide? I don’t know what else I would decide it on?
Fair enough.
My point was that I wouldn't vote for someone just because I know them. Indeed I would never vote for some of the people I know ;)

And trust me, if we published all the detail on the application forms there is no way voters could be bothered to read it all. That's what we did to shortlist the candidates.

Others have suggested videos. Some people wouldn't be willing or able to make a video. Some people would be unfairly biased based on the quality of the video or the appearance of a candidate.

So, as they say these days, it is what it is. If people don't want to vote, then ok, don't bother.
But thousands of votes have been cast and if you do want to be involved VOTING CLOSES 10am MONDAY 24th JULY

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I’m abit late to the party on this thread so apologies - I am Andy Goodchild one of the candidates for the Fan Advisory Board nominations.

I totally agree with the comments regarding selection of candidates for the voting. Unless you personally know the individual it is hard to make an informed decision on a 100 word bio. Conversely from our perspective it’s hard “selling yourself” in 100 words as every individual will have their preferred criteria of an appropriate candidate to vote for.

What I will say is that as a fan I didn’t feel connected enough with the FAB so it was a case of if you can’t beat them join them. To me the key to the process is making fans voices heard and publicised especially via social media platforms. That two way open and frank communication is the key to any forum adding value.

The most productive discussions I’ve had so far in deciding on a suitable candidate to chose from are around peoples issues. On some of the Facebook pages I have been asked my thoughts on topical issues and responded appropriately. This has probably been the most effective way of people deciding who to vote for rather than me saying vote for me I’m a good bloke 😂.

It is also difficult sometimes to big yourself up to strangers or those that you don’t know. I do see from this thread that Jack has kindly endorsed me as well as one of the regular Bluesaway travellers which is much appreciated. To conclude I had to provide a reference for the role from a fellow Albion fan (NB content was not influenced by myself). I thought a fairly unbiased view from an Ex police chief inspector may help some of your voting choices so have included below.

Thank you for debating the issue and whoever you decide to vote for I would encourage you all to use the vote in some way 🙏.

“I am a retired Chief Inspector from Sussex Police and I have known Andy Goodchild for about 6 years and he recently retired at a young age from a career in finance. He is an Albion season ticket holder and attends all home and away games and is also a qualified FA coach having coached numerous Sussex teams. Andy is mature, passionate about football and sensible in his comments and professional in how he conducts himself. He knows the Albion in depth . He is creative in his thoughts and would bring initiative to discussion whilst also being a safe pair of hands in the forum . He is a good communicator equally happy discussing at senior and junior levels. He is a good team player, confident in groups and an overall nice guy who I think would make a valued contribution to the fans forum . Peter Mills Fan Number 70086575”
You'd have thought a retired Plod would know better than to post personal information like his fan number.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here