Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer - will it be ready?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good morning all,

Sorry to be the voice of small hours pessimism but a thought has occurred. In a little more than 14 months time the new stadium is meant to be open for business. Is it just me, or does it look to you as though there is an awful lot to do to make that deadline?

With the second arch beginning to take shape it is worth taking stock. I have no pedigree at all in construction so I will be very happy indeed to have a queue of informed people tell me I am talking out of my arse. However, to the (very) untrained eye it seems that there is a lot to do. Even when the stadium looks finished I would expect that there would be several weeks to go before the club gets the keys. There must be all sorts of safety tests and health and safety requirements to be satisfied before the new stadium is licensed.

I could be wrong. I certainly hope that I am. It's just that I think there might be a little bit of "slippage".

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Should be constructually built by March. When the pitch will be laid with 4 months to grow some roots. whilst the plumbing and electrical work takes place in the stadium.

As Health and Saftey requirements there will be a few warm up matches before the big season opener.

Still on track as far as I know

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
With respect, I expect that they had one of those for Wembley too?

With respect, I expect that they had one of those for Wembley too?

They had a useless team of project managers, with the FA thinking that its own subsidiary company (Wembley National Stadium Limited) was up to the job. WNSL kept changing the design and muddled everything by giving Multiplex, who were supposed to be building the place, far too much influence over how the whole project was carried out.

seagullkev

May 13, 2007
peacehaven
i was speaking with some people last week who walked off the job saying it was a shambles and they where behind schedule i hope this is not true.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Middlesbrough's Riverside stadium was built in 9 months.I think the worst of the work is done at Falmer and they will finish quite comfortably.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Itll look finished in September, 8 months before completion, not a few weeks. Don't forge a lot more work can be done on the structure in the summer than in the winter. and when that's done the insides can be worked on through the winter.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Good morning all,

Sorry to be the voice of small hours pessimism but a thought has occurred. In a little more than 14 months time the new stadium is meant to be open for business. Is it just me, or does it look to you as though there is an awful lot to do to make that deadline?

With the second arch beginning to take shape it is worth taking stock. I have no pedigree at all in construction so I will be very happy indeed to have a queue of informed people tell me I am talking out of my arse. However, to the (very) untrained eye it seems that there is a lot to do. Even when the stadium looks finished I would expect that there would be several weeks to go before the club gets the keys. There must be all sorts of safety tests and health and safety requirements to be satisfied before the new stadium is licensed.

I could be wrong. I certainly hope that I am. It's just that I think there might be a little bit of "slippage".

You're talking out of your arse fella

i was speaking with some people last week who walked off the job saying it was a shambles and they where behind schedule i hope this is not true

And so are you.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
Good morning all,

With the second arch beginning to take shape it is worth taking stock. I have no pedigree at all in construction so I will be very happy indeed to have a queue of informed people tell me I am talking out of my arse. However, to the (very) untrained eye it seems that there is a lot to do. Even when the stadium looks finished I would expect that there would be several weeks to go before the club gets the keys. There must be all sorts of safety tests and health and safety requirements to be satisfied before the new stadium is license

When you watch that video on the 1901 club it's staggering how much internal work there is going to be.The club is aiming for a luxrury high end finish all round.So the question you asked i feel is a senseable one which crossed my mind.Not only is there alot of outer work to be done,there's all the concourses outside as well.
By the time winter sets in i expect the outer shell of the stadium to be completed and most of the work will take place inside.Lighting would have probably been installed so the shorter days won't affect a days work.
We will still be ready for the new season though.
Mr Perry did say recently we are on track so there's little point doubting him.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The long answer is United States President Barack Obama always said that change would not come easily. Neither, apparently, does explaining it.

Called on to offer reassurances that his healthcare plan would not lead to increased taxes or hurt the economy, Obama spent 17 minutes and 14 seconds on his response.

"This is an area where there's been just a whole lot of misinformation," he told workers at a battery factory in North Carolina.

"And I'm going to have to work hard over the next several months to clean up a lot of the misapprehensions that people have."

Then the president, seemingly undeterred by the glassy eyes, the yawns from the front row and the occasional dash for the exit by members of the audience at the factory, wandered freely from the deficit to discuss Warren Buffet, international aid, Medicare and payroll taxes. He made lists of his points, and then sub-lists.

If that were not confusing enough, he threw in a few acronyms for government programmes.

In all, Obama's response to a woman's concerns that Americans were over-taxed stretched to 2 500 words. That is barely a blink of an eye for a world-class orator such as Fidel Castro -- but probably more than the workers had bargained for during a lunchtime question and answer session last Friday.

By the midway point, even Obama began to realise he may have offered a little too much detail.

The short answer is 'Yes' it will be ready

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My impression is that the blokes on that site work bloomin' hard. Allayed to the fact that we have people in charge who know what they are doing - and we can relax.

Building sites have changed since 1974 for sure.

My impression is that the blokes on that site work bloomin' hard. Allayed to the fact that we have people in charge who know what they are doing - and we can relax.

Building sites have changed since 1974 for sure.
Don't be silly. People who know nothing about project management of any kind, who think Buckinghams are lying about being 3 days behind and believe that in the current financial job climate, people can afford to walk off a job on principle have said there is a problem. So there must be a problem. :US:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes they are behind schedule. As of Tuesday this week, Buckinghams admitted to being 3 DAYS behind schedule. I think the sky is falling in.

I guess they were 4 days behind which is why there was work going on on Monday (being a bank holiday).

(Not replying to TGC but original poster)

Is it really surprising they are a few days behind having just had the worst winter for years.

Just look at the webcam to see how much work has been done in the past year

I guess they were 4 days behind which is why there was work going on on Monday (being a bank holiday).

(Not replying to TGC but original poster)

Is it really surprising they are a few days behind having just had the worst winter for years.

Just look at the webcam to see how much work has been done in the past year
I would imagine there are penalties for late hand over which is why they want to catch up completely. Anyway, it is much easier to throw people at getting the insides ready as they don't need cranes with massive footprints. And I was told that the cost at present is £250000 a week (or was it a day - my memory is shocking) so I can't imagine that a bit of double bubble makes much of a dent.

Anyway, back on planet Earth, does anyone have a link to the article in the programme that showed when and where various stands would be built? Don't know if it was in the same article as the floorplans (They would be nice too) or if it was a separate article.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here