Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Face Masks and Covid Passes to end in England from next Thursday

Keep Face Masks and Covid Passes or not?

• Yes. Keep the masks and Covid passes. They make me comfortable to live my life normally

Votes: 168 61.1%
  • No. Scrap the masks and Covid passes. They don't make any difference now.

Votes: 107 38.9%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
JVT is a scientist and this statement is factually correct.

I have stated elsewhere in this thread that the vast majority of masks protect against outgoing and not incoming virus. So a healthy person wearing such a mask offers no benefit to others.

But you don’t know if you are a healthy person or not. That’s the whole point. You could be an asymptomatic transmitter.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Probably the dumbest thing I have ever read.

How exactly do you know wearing masks does NOT reduce infections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I read the last few posts by this idiot then promptly blocked them.

Everyone is entitled to opinions, but to regurgitate nonsense is a step too far for me!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We are out of the danger zone. Treat like the flu.

Time to open up , bin the masks and move on. It will always be here but we have jabs that protect the majority.

More damage is being done with NHS / Mental health and suicides than to not re-open everything and start gettig back to what we had.

It's as much under control as It'll ever be

Unfortunately there will always be deaths with it but its time for perspective.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I shop in a few different markets on various days. Estimated mask wearing in percentages;

Lidl - 85%
Asda - 98%
Tesco - 95%
Waitrose - 80%
Local shops, greengrocer, massage parlour, butcher, fishmonger etc - 100%

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Here you go. The masks are known a N99 or FFP3 depending on where they come from. but they are essentially the same.

What are N99 / FFP3 Face Masks?
N99 or FFP3 face masks are used to provide protection from viruses, bacteria, and solid or liquid toxic aerosols. N99 and FFP3 provide the same amount of protection as each other, but have different names depending on where they have been made. These masks are commonly used by those working in the healthcare industry as personal protective equipment (PPE). FFP3 masks filter 99% of particles from the air. These face masks have been approved by the World Health Organisation for preventing the transmission of COVID-19.

Some of these masks have a valve built in which makes them slightly easier to wear over long periods. This does not affect incoming, but allows any virus that the wearer breathes out to reach others.

Many thanks, pricey though best price I’ve found is £25 for x20, is one a day ok?

I currently pay £10.95 for x50 98% filtering (Blue disposable Type)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Probably the dumbest thing I have ever read.

How exactly do you know wearing masks does NOT reduce infections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't read this forum a great deal if you think that is the dumbest thing you have ever read.

How do you know that mask wearing does reduce infections? If it does, it hasn't been doing a great job of late has it?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think the truth is that at the time there was a world shortage of masks and the Government did not 'advertise the fact' as there would have been a stampede to buy them with a subsequent shortage in the NHS and Care Homes.

BTW

FFP3 masks are more effective than FFP2 masks - 99% vs 95%

Fine in 2020, but not in 2021 or now where Amazon are.selling FFP2 masks by the bucket load.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You don't read this forum a great deal if you think that is the dumbest thing you have ever read.

How do you know that mask wearing does reduce infections? If it does, it hasn't been doing a great job of late has it?

Doctors, nurses, and surgeons wear face masks. I’m no virologist but I’m guessing it’s not for the aesthetic.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The club don't appear to have made a statement so im suggesting that will result in a fair few fans thinking covid passes and mask are no longer required - one way or the other the club need to make a statement and a reminder ahead of next home game.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yes, and they're free to breath in virus particles from those who no longer do.:rolleyes:

Not if you buy an FFP3 mask and wear it properly. They filter in both directions, they offer protection to the wearer.

I had this argument over and over on the mask thread a few months ago, too many people still believe that masks only protect other people.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Many thanks, pricey though best price I’ve found is £25 for x20, is one a day ok?

I currently pay £10.95 for x50 98% filtering (Blue disposable Type)

I have masks that have lasted months. I have quite a few, so wear one and place it in 'quarantine' for a week afterwards before wearing it again. These 'surgical' masks are much more resilient than the typical paper/cloth ones that you see thrown away everywhere.

PS I have not conducted Clinical Trials on my conclusions :)

FIO can you attach the link to those blue masks. They sound good value but may not to be manufactured to a 'British Standard'. I suspect there are a lot of masks out there claiming things they are not.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I have masks that have lasted months. I have quite a few, so wear one and place it in 'quarantine' for a week afterwards before wearing it again. These 'surgical' masks are much more resilient than the typical paper/cloth ones that you see thrown away everywhere.

PS I have not conducted Clinical Trials on my conclusions :)

FIO can you attach the link to those blue masks. They sound good value but may not to be manufactured to a 'British Standard'. I suspect there are a lot of masks out there claiming things they are not.

Thanks for your info and as requested,

https://trustedppe.co.uk/collections/face-masks

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think masks are a pain……. But I will continue to wear one when I think it is appropriate, which is basically as per previous “rules”

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Thanks for your info and as requested,

https://trustedppe.co.uk/collections/face-masks

Interesting. The specs are just below FFP2 which in turn is just below FFP3. They look a good choice for use in shops and even public transport. If it were me, I would lay in a few FFP3 masks for the occasions you are in prolonged close contact with others.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We wear FFP3 at work. Considering we have among other service users, IV drug users who are never going to stick to Covid rules and we have been around them every day for two years and we have only had I think two staff infected, I can say with some confidence that masks do work. I travel on the bus every day to and from work and I shall continue to mask up as I’m coming from a high risk environment and I don’t think anyone deserves to get Covid on their way to work because I couldn’t be arsed to wear a mask for 20 more mins.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Interesting. The specs are just below FFP2 which in turn is just below FFP3. They look a good choice for use in shops and even public transport. If it were me, I would lay in a few FFP3 masks for the occasions you are in prolonged close contact with others.

Good advice, I’m thinking I might be able to get away with an FFP3 over two 5 hour days ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here