Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fabrizio Romano

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Once again, as this has been explained to you several times before, the situation with Andy Naylor is very different.

Andy Naylor was the local chief sports reporter for our local newspaper (circulation approx 7,000 daily), and he did this job for 32 and a half years, covering the Albion and other local sport.

During this time, he developed and fostered relationships with three different owners and their operations teams. He covered match reports at the Goldstone Ground, Priestfield Stadium (that’s in Gillingham) and Withdean Stadium, and was the primary source for basically any and all Albion news. Without Naylor’s insight and newspaper copy, Brighton fans could watch 30 seconds of Andy Steggal narrating goal highlights on “Meridian Tonight” per week, or call Seagulls Clubline at £1.99 a minute.

Naylor doesn’t have an exotic name, he isn’t pretending to be Guillem Balague, he is just an honest hard-working and incredibly long-serving local journalist, who was hired for The Athletic solely because of his decades working with and close to the Albion.

Lots of Albion fans are FAR from fans of Andy. He has been snippy to fans previously and some of his editorialising annoyed some people. But there is absolutely no questioning his credentials or experience.

“New media” has created a whole new frontier of journalism. Naylor, as a newspaper hack learning in the 80’s and 90’s was forced to learn journalism as a trade. You know, physically live in the town, ask questions, go to the training ground.

Nowadays, any chancer can declare themselves a “new media journalist”, sit in someone’s back pocket and be leaked “exclusives”. Provided they get enough clicks.

It would be really refreshing, just for once, if you just admitted that this is a subject you know absolutely **** all about. Because it’s painfully clear from your responses. You are superb at winging through with faux-intellectual claptrap on almost any topic.

When you are dealing with someone who knows what they’re talking about, you get rinsed. It’s happening now.

Oh my! There’s been a murder. I just witnessed a monster truck go over a kids tricycle.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Once again, as this has been explained to you several times before, the situation with Andy Naylor is very different.

Andy Naylor was the local chief sports reporter for our local newspaper (circulation approx 7,000 daily), and he did this job for 32 and a half years, covering the Albion and other local sport.

During this time, he developed and fostered relationships with three different owners and their operations teams. He covered match reports at the Goldstone Ground, Priestfield Stadium (that’s in Gillingham) and Withdean Stadium, and was the primary source for basically any and all Albion news. Without Naylor’s insight and newspaper copy, Brighton fans could watch 30 seconds of Andy Steggal narrating goal highlights on “Meridian Tonight” per week, or call Seagulls Clubline at £1.99 a minute.

Naylor doesn’t have an exotic name, he isn’t pretending to be Guillem Balague, he is just an honest hard-working and incredibly long-serving local journalist, who was hired for The Athletic solely because of his decades working with and close to the Albion.

Lots of Albion fans are FAR from fans of Andy. He has been snippy to fans previously and some of his editorialising annoyed some people. But there is absolutely no questioning his credentials or experience.

“New media” has created a whole new frontier of journalism. Naylor, as a newspaper hack learning in the 80’s and 90’s was forced to learn journalism as a trade. You know, physically live in the town, ask questions, go to the training ground.

Nowadays, any chancer can declare themselves a “new media journalist”, sit in someone’s back pocket and be leaked “exclusives”. Provided they get enough clicks.

It would be really refreshing, just for once, if you just admitted that this is a subject you know absolutely **** all about. Because it’s painfully clear from your responses. You are superb at winging through with faux-intellectual claptrap on almost any topic.

When you are dealing with someone who knows what they’re talking about, you get rinsed. It’s happening now.

And your point is?

Those of us who has worked with journalism know how these "chancers" make their "chances": through connecting with agents.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i always find it difficult to know if you are simply a sometimes entertaing troll, or you actually believe the drivel you spout

FAB was demonstrably wrong all the way through July,his ITK posts were that City were imminently making a bid- which they werent and eventually did weeks later, he keep saying City was the ONLY club he wanted, and he ONLY wanted to play under Pep- all of which was wrong ,as he ended up at his boyhood dream club Chelsea

He even got it wrong on the night before the transfer, at which point we all knew a deal was close. RyanAdsett was more accurate that Romero when he said the day before I think- Cucu deal wont be completed till the Colwill deal is sorted- he was spot on, FAB was just making guestimates

Yes he gets a lot right but why cant you see, on this one he was completely wrong all the way through, over than in the vaguest terms and was acting as a City provocateur who got burned

The reason the Naylorists as u put it, like him is simply because he checks and reports what is actually happening, not what a particular club, player or agent WANTS to happen

Andy Naylor also admits when he gets it wrong like the CKR deal. He said it was because he had just come back from holiday but it was an admission.

There again why would a journalist who wrote all Albion match reports, attended every press conference, living in Brighton, writing for the local paper, before getting the Athletic job, want to check his facts with the press officer at the club, who most of us actually know?

There is many a criticism of Andy Naylor on Nsc if you search for it. It certainly isn't idol worship.

There again idol worship of Graham Potter is a thing, so why should I be surprised?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And your point is?

Those of us who has worked with journalism know how these "chancers" make their "chances": through connecting with agents.

What did you do in journalism out of interest ? Genuine question. I’m not really involved in this debate as I don’t do Twitter and only see these journos when linked on NSC.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
but he wasnt correct was he? He wants to go to man city, he only wants man city, its a deal- all sorted, terms agreed, city making a bid immenently etc for weeks. Then when a bid was made, it was again deal done, and yet in the end it wasnt, he went to chelsea, and even then he got it wrong, saying the deal was done when it wasnt untill the next day

Its hard to see where he was actually right? Club wrong, amount consistently wrong, timings wrong, he actually only got it right after it was announced by everyone else!

He never said the deal with Man City was agreed, all-sorted or done.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Andy Naylor also admits when he gets it wrong like the CKR deal. He said it was because he had just come back from holiday but it was an admission.

There again why would a journalist who wrote all Albion match reports, attended every press conference, living in Brighton, writing for the local paper, before getting the Athletic job, want to check his facts with the press officer at the club, who most of us actually know?

There is many a criticism of Andy Naylor on Nsc if you search for it. It certainly isn't idol worship.

There again idol worship of Graham Potter is a thing, so why should I be surprised?
Naylor also thought Wayne Henderson was a good goalkeeper. I actually argued to his face how Kuipers was better, but to no avail. Sure enough Calamity Wayne proved me right. Other than that, he's not bad for a Stoke fan and doesn't go out on a limb with giesswork.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Naylor also thought Wayne Henderson was a good goalkeeper. I actually argued to his face how Kuipers was better, but to no avail. Sure enough Calamity Wayne proved me right. Other than that, he's not bad for a Stoke fan and doesn't go out on a limb with giesswork.

Presumably posted tongue in cheek ? After all, he is a journalist, not a scout.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Judging from other sources who confirmed most of what he was saying after he said it (like Man City making a bid), most appears to be correct. He never said it was a done deal between Brighton and City, always mentioning that Brighton had a higher value on the player than City wanted to bid... which turned out correct.

All these journalists have those kind of fanbases. The Naylorians here are very similar.

We had this discussion in the Cucurella thread where you moved the goal posts; if Romano posted something, it was "guesses", and when Naylor posted the same thing a day later, it was the absolute truth uncovered by your hero, and Romano was merely lucky to have got it right the day before.

IMO the only way you could plausibly believe that Romano wasn't recieving information from Cucurellas agents is if you have a shite subscription deal on The Athletic.

I dont think i ever said romero wasnt reciving info from Cucus agent, I said that what was being reporeted as "done" and "bids in the next day" were simply not true- it was reported as it were fact and it demostrably wasnt-no moving goal posts,
The difference between Romeros posts and Naylors "facts" are that Naylor is reporting on what HAS happened (sources checked) and Romero is reporting on what Cucus agents WANTED to happen- dont you see the difference Simple example for you- Romero on Thursday rposts the Chelsea deal is sorted- Naylor checks with the club and then reports AS FACT- the deal wasnt completed and that Cucu hadnt been sold= a factt then verified shorly after by the club itself calling out the BS

The fact that the deal was tied up 24 hours later is immaterial- Romero was wrong, Naylor was right, and Owen

Contrary to your belief, Im no Naylor fanwhore, I just recognise the difference between a reporter, and a internet wannabe in the pocket of various clubs pushing their own agenda- Romero undoubtedly gets a huge amount right- thats great but why for the love of all things good, cant you admit that on this one transfer he was being played by city and cucu and was burnt

However we wont agree, and you are obviously enamored with Romero even more than those you perceive to be Naylor fanboys , so I wont waste anymore time on this, Im off to look at the pretty guys in skimpy rainbow trunks in town

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Romano was clearly on the payroll of City and MC's agent and being fed by both with an extremely hungry appetite. As is the Daily mail reading that awful puff piece the other day from the Man City point of view about the whole saga about why we should let our best players go for prices they want to pay.

Naylor gets rock solid info from inside the Albion.

The truth was always in the middle of those 2 but certainly more on the side of AN. He didn't get the price wrong, the club wrong or the date of the transfer wrong. He did get it right that it wasn't completed at the time and that we would not sell our finest Spanish imports at Chinese good prices. Anyone hanging off Romano's every word - and there are quite a few - are idiots who are playing his game and making his job easier to report gossip to force moves or reduce prices.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Romano’s adroit switch from ‘Cucurrella only wants to play for Pep’ to having the inside track on the Chelsea deal can only be the result of being directly informed by his agent, a relationship that the likes of Naylor need to cultivate if they are to be anything other than a focus group for local sports writers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Romano’s adroit switch from ‘Cucurrella only wants to play for Pep’ to having the inside track on the Chelsea deal can only be the result of being directly informed by his agent, a relationship that the likes of Naylor need to cultivate if they are to be anything other than a focus group for local sports writers

I'd rather he didn't. Agents are not always trustworthy (understatement) whereas the club puts out press releases, and confirmation of facts.
I think Paul Barber played a blinder on Wednesday night.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What did you do in journalism out of interest ? Genuine question. I’m not really involved in this debate as I don’t do Twitter and only see these journos when linked on NSC.

Football news in Swedish, mainly about Eredivisie players (plenty of Swedes over there, especially back then).

Not fun, not well-paid, but interesting to get insight into how it all works. Interact far more with agents (and players) than with clubs. And the agents obviously usually do it to use you; one bloke even wanted to collaborate with me in bringing Dutch players to Sweden... which I couldn't turn down, hence quitting my journo gig to become some kind of agent myself... which was interesting and very very unsuccessful. I still have the list over players who I was supposed to convince Swedish clubs to bring over... none of them turned into anything. That's a bit OT though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'd rather he didn't. Agents are not always trustworthy (understatement) whereas the club puts out press releases, and confirmation of facts.

I agree on both points. So funny that all the media outlets who were posting ‘poor old Citeh being held to ransom/they wouldn’t try that with any other club’ etc are now scrabbling round to explain why Chelsea have paid too much.

I just think that subscription sports media like The Athletic might be a short-lived phenomenon if they are consistently beaten to the inside track. They will have to adapt to survive

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Swanny says he knows journo's, agents, managers, coaches. He may do, who knows apart from him and his pizza boxes.

I've known 2 reporters close to Brighton for 44 years (went to school with them), the press officer of the club, the PFA rep of the club, one of the radio presenters that covers Brighton and the news, ex-managers and players. I could possibly have asked any of them about what's going on but I don't I usually wait for Naylor purely as he is trusted by the club to give accurate info at the right time. Do I like him? Not really as he has been bitter to the fans on a number of occasions, he does though report the main facts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Swanny says he knows journo's, agents, managers, coaches. He may do, who knows apart from him and his pizza boxes.

I've known 2 reporters close to Brighton for 44 years (went to school with them), the press officer of the club, the PFA rep of the club, one of the radio presenters that covers Brighton and the news, ex-managers and players. I could possibly have asked any of them about what's going on but I don't I usually wait for Naylor purely as he is trusted by the club to give accurate info at the right time. Do I like him? Not really as he has been bitter to the fans on a number of occasions, he does though report the main facts.

Of course, Brian Owen comes into that as well, having taken over from Andy at the Argus.
John Vinnicombe was an excellent reporter.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Football news in Swedish, mainly about Eredivisie players (plenty of Swedes over there, especially back then).

Not fun, not well-paid, but interesting to get insight into how it all works. Interact far more with agents (and players) than with clubs. And the agents obviously usually do it to use you; one bloke even wanted to collaborate with me in bringing Dutch players to Sweden... which I couldn't turn down, hence quitting my journo gig to become some kind of agent myself... which was interesting and very very unsuccessful. I still have the list over players who I was supposed to convince Swedish clubs to bring over... none of them turned into anything. That's a bit OT though.

Interesting though, thanks. Fair play to you giving it a go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I still think the statement Wednesday was a bit silly. Especially as Cucurella & agent had been in Mykonos with Boehly since last weekend !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I still think the statement Wednesday was a bit silly. Especially as Cucurella & agent had been in Mykonos with Boehly since last weekend !

All he said was it wasn't done, and it wasn't.

Who was it that kept saying Cucurella was in Spain?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here