Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup happy to be out of it?

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
I challenge you to name me a team outside of the top flight who have had a good cup run, AND achieved what they wanted to in the league.

Boro did it in 97/98, when they went up through the autos back to the Prem after their one season out of the top flight in 14 years. They went up with 91 points and went all the way to the league cup final the same season, beaten by Chelsea for the second consecutive year in a major final. I imagine though that these occasions are few and far between and we got lucky that year.

Incidently as a Boro fan, our board is having exactly the same disscussion as you guys, as you know we went out today to another strong championship team in the shape of Burnley. To be honest I'm not really bothered. Only thing I didn't want from today was a replay.

I imagine our circumstances today were much the same as yours; Burnley put out most of their first team, whereas we had 4 of our first 11 starting. Despite the result we dominated the game and that's all I was looking for really, a sign that our reserve side could boss a strong side which gives optimism, as for one year only given the rewards for promotion this year, for once the FA cup doesn't matter a great deal, strange as that may sound.

Of course I'd be happier with the win, but realistically I'm not really fussed.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Boro did it in 97/98, when they went up through the autos back to the Prem after their one season out of the top flight in 14 years. They went up with 91 points and went all the way to the league cup final the same season, beaten by Chelsea for the second consecutive year in a major final. I imagine though that these occasions are few and far between and we got lucky that year.

Incidently as a Boro fan, our board is having exactly the same disscussion as you guys, as you know we went out today to another strong championship team in the shape of Burnley. To be honest I'm not really bothered. Only thing I didn't want from today was a replay.

I imagine our circumstances today were much the same as yours; Burnley put out most of their first team, whereas we had 4 of our first 11 starting. Despite the result we dominated the game and that's all I was looking for really, a sign that our reserve side could boss a strong side which gives optimism, as for one year only given the rewards for promotion this year, for once the FA cup doesn't matter a great deal, strange as that may sound.

It read as though Boro played OK apart from the result. That's what I wanted. New players looking good but still going out. Not so though. Empty Saturday on Fourth Round Day. If we had drawn a top club it would have been a distraction and extra dosh in the coffers. If Hull draw Man United it would suit us.

There could be eleven changes in the first team for the next match.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
When we got Hull away in the draw all interest I had for the competition drained away. Meh.

Shame, I love the FA Cup.

Yeah, we were one of four left with Man City. It could have been Sergio and Yaya at the Amex. What a pisser Hull was.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
In January 1983 some might have said that losing to Newcastle would have allowed us to concentrate on staying up and they might have had a point but what memories would we have missed out on. If we are always focussing on where we are going to be in 6,9,12 months time we can forget to enjoy where we are and could be now. I have to be strategic at work but I would rather just enjoy the moment as an Albion fan and the chance of some excitement in the cup has just gone.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'm not really that bothered, though the manner of the defeat does concern me. I would have thought the second string players would have been champing at the bit to show what they could do, and all they did was show how mediocre they are. I've felt both ways over the FA Cup. I remember in the 2010-2011 season after we had comfortably beaten Watford away feeling thoroughly narked by Poyet, who had said he would take the FA Cup seriously and then sent out a second string team against Stoke, including the two Argies (or was it only Battipiedi, I can't remember?), meaning we never gave them any kind of fight and only showed up once JFC came on as a substitute. I then felt gutted to go out to Arsenal so narrowly in 2012-2013, having hoped to get a replay at the Emirates. However, I didn't enjoy last season's game against them at all. A number of my group didn't go, and I was surrounded in the North Stand by people who don't normally go to the Amex and I thought the atmosphere was very poor.

If we do well at Rotherham, it will be forgotten, but as others have said, I hope it doesn't add to the negative run we are currently suffering.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

So your 2nd string played well. Great for them.

Sadly our 10 2nd string players ( + the first teamer who conceeded the penalty ), who haven't scored a goal between them all season, couldn't be bothered to put in a performance. We won't see at least a couple of them again.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Small squad lets focus on the league and let the cup be a distraction for others.[/QUOTEso you're hoping for a play off trip to Wembley:dunce:
regards
DR]

i think you should take a break......you don't come across as an albion fan and basically seem to be on a wind up most of the time.....it's not funny any more....give it a ****in rest eh...??? even though we agree on some things , your sniping on here is pretty tedious tbh...!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Absolutely not it's a good day out a couple more games a season, not like having to play 2 legs of a European tie.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
One thing from yesterday is that Hull have a bigger squad than us and generally their reserve players are better than ours. Their passing and movement was so much better than ours. My feeling after the match was - a play off place is the best we can hope for.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The crowd yesterday was a pathetic 10.7k. That is how much the cup has devalued. If just one Albion fan went to Hull thinking we were going to put out a strong team, well I would question their sanity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here