Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup happy to be out of it?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Old fart that i am......... but Jimmy Cases Highbury goal.............!!!

Highbury, not Hull away.

Seriously, if we'd had a decent draw then maybe (definitely not!) the attitude would be different but Hull away kills any cup enthusiasm. What a waste of everyone's time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"And yes, I know all the tactical arguments about concentrating on the league and all that, and accept the logic" - Geez, can't you read and comprehend the whole of a post, not just a bit of it? What bit of the real world has passed me by?

ffs :facepalm:

Well, you don't accept the logic because you then said "just a fan that would have liked a bit of cup glory AS WELL AS success in the league". You'd prefer we pointlessly played a full strength team today and to hell with the consequences? I challenge you to name me a team outside of the top flight who have had a good cup run, AND achieved what they wanted to in the league.

Sheffield United made the semi-final last season, and then got humped by Swindon n the Play-Offs. Personally, I'd rather we lost in the 3rd round and really went for the top 2 than having a pointless cup run to quaters/semi-finals and run out of steam in both. We're not equipped for a war on two fronts, so we pick the one which matters.

....But you have to deal with Hull to have Highbury.....

Or not, as with today. There wasn't a single thing about the draw which was anything other than underwhelming and boring.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I say again check the team sheet! :mad:

I'll say it again then-losing becomes a habit, especially when we seem unable to hit a cow's ass wih a banjo at the moment. I'll be happy if my concerns are unfounded. Unfortunately, our free kicks and corners are a joke so we need to score from open play which we haven't done in 500 minutes.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We lost to Walsall in August. It didn't do us any harm. Those who travelled to Hull knew full well what sort of team to expect.
We had a fit squad and were winning (even it was never by more than one goal) in August. I wish I shared your blind faith and optimism.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Sunderland won the cup in 73
Soton in 76

what have they won since?

reality check required here,I'd rather win the FA Cup than make up the numbers in the sky championship

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sunderland won the cup in 73
Soton in 76

what have they won since?

reality check required here,I'd rather win the FA Cup than make up the numbers in the sky championship

Exactly right, same as a Sunderland fan I would rather win a cup then stay in the Prem, the other year when we got to the league cup final I could not have cared less if we went down that year after having the feeling of a cup final for the first time in my life (too young for '92 and also play off final is not a cup final the reality is it means nothing)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We had a fit squad and were winning (even it was never by more than one goal) in August. I wish I shared your blind faith and optimism.

Ah, the old blind faith & optimism accusation. Quite a leap from what I actually posted.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are developing a losing habit, after losing our not losing habit.

Don't like it, so would prefer to still be in the cup.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Exactly right, same as a Sunderland fan I would rather win a cup then stay in the Prem, the other year when we got to the league cup final I could not have cared less if we went down that year after having the feeling of a cup final for the first time in my life (too young for '92 and also play off final is not a cup final the reality is it means nothing)
As a Brighton fan, it'd be nice to play in the PL. It's been most of my lifetime since we've played in the top division. If going out of the cups early helps us to make it, I can live with that.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Err Hello?? Its the F.A. Cup!

No matter how much they keep stuffing around with it - its still the best cup competition in the world

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I will miss the excitement of the balls in the bag next round but believe its for the best.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Normally I really care about the cup, but with that draw and the current run of form I really don't mind losing this one. Tuesday I care about a lot more.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Normally I really care about the cup, but with that draw and the current run of form I really don't mind losing this one. Tuesday I care about a lot more.
Sums it up perfectly for me.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
As a Brighton fan, it'd be nice to play in the PL. It's been most of my lifetime since we've played in the top division. If going out of the cups early helps us to make it, I can live with that.

I never really though of it from that side, not wanting to rub it in as we have spent probably 50% of my supporting years in the prem (as in since the age where I understood what football meant) but having been there for that time I dont think its all its cracked up to be, would much rather a cup day out to Wembley than in a league that we will never win and spend most of the time in it struggling not to go down

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
As long as we beat Rotherham on Tuesday, and re-ignite our winning, unbeaten form that has got us into the position where we are now in the first placemI won't mind about today's result. But let's face it; we have a rejuvenated squad with some players finally coming back from injury, and we are playing a struggling side in Rotherham (although, mind, at least they can score goals). We have to win. I will be extremely Concerned if we LOSE

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I never really though of it from that side, not wanting to rub it in as we have spent probably 50% of my supporting years in the prem (as in since the age where I understood what football meant) but having been there for that time I dont think its all its cracked up to be, would much rather a cup day out to Wembley than in a league that we will never win and spend most of the time in it struggling not to go down
Oh it's bound to be rubbish if we ever get there, but the new Sky deal will shortly make it even more of a closed shop than it already appears to be. If we don't get there soon, we might not ever.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

it's amazing how quick the novelty wears off,looking back at our 4 seasons in the old div 1
the first season was great with all the big boys in town,did alot of away games too
but the following seasons just trying to keep your head above water weren't much fun
I suspect even today with the sky razamatazz fans would feel exactly the same
winning the FA Cup would be a massive achievement for our club,more so than spending some time in the top flight
plus we've got to get this 1910 monkey off our backs :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here