Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
For someone who stopped watching when Damon Hill retired, the pub at lunchtime was almost split 50/50, some really upset, others almost punching the air.

In all seriousness, as I have no knowledge on this subject, has Lewis Hamilton been cheated, or is it an interpretation of the rules?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For someone who stopped watching when Damon Hill retired, the pub at lunchtime was almost split 50/50, some really upset, others almost punching the air.

In all seriousness, as I have no knowledge on this subject, has Lewis Hamilton been cheated, or is it an interpretation of the rules?

I would suggest somewhere between the two. The rules state X, X has always happened in the past, but the race boss’ word appears to be final.

I think LH was amazingly cool in defeat, there is absolutely zero chance of the result being overturned as it would make the organisers look even more ridiculous, and Mercedes ain’t exactly gonna walk away now are they?

If I were Lewis I would have just one goal for next season, to humiliate Karen Horner.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

No more cheated than a ref being able to change the laws of football to benefit the team losing in the 89th for them to run out winners :shrug:

Anyway it’s done now and Max has done enough this season for him to be deserving of being called World Champion. If I were Lewis I’d 100% believe I’d been robbed and could in no way have handled it as well as he did

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

In all seriousness, as I have no knowledge on this subject

So what led you to publish the following in an article:
“Lewis Hamilton has had the most leg-ups in the History of F1”.

For a sport full of billionaire’s and millionaire’s sons, this was quite some statement as Lewis’ Dad worked two jobs to fund his junior karting career where he was untouchable earning him his McLaren scholarship.

Hatred for the BLM movement (not organisation)?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

For a sport full of billionaire’s and millionaire’s sons, this was quite some statement as Lewis’ Dad worked two jobs to fund his junior karting career where he was untouchable earning him his McLaren scholarship.

He’s already admitted he knows **** all about F1 so just controversial made up click bait I suggest

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It's interesting seeing views that this was about excitement and generating interest etc. From the perspective of someone who has never paid any attention to F1 (couldn't tell you how many cars there are in a race, until last week Lewis Hamilton was the only current driver whose name I could be confident about) the general impression I'm getting from deciding to read things over the weekend is that it's like VAR on steroids and that there's so much interpretation, a lot of it retrospective, that there's nothing to make me think I'd want to watch it. That's not to detract from others' enjoyment at all, I'm confident I like sports others won't enjoy too, just a reflection on how I'm not sure what happened will be likely to bring in viewers who are agnostic about it. There's likely to be a lot of bias because I'm only reading UK websites and things like this forum and I'm sure other countries will have a variety of responses but it feels a bit like an opportunity for a sport to demonstrate it's capacity for excitement became about demonstrating it's capacity for controversy instead. I think you have to be really into a sport to tolerate a result not being a result until the lawyers have had their say. No problem with that if that's part and parcel of it, but it's not going to pull in the casual fan or engage new ones, especially not when it's such an important and defining race.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It’s Hamilton I feel sorry for he has been unbelievable in the last few races and did not really put a foot wrong yesterday but events and decisions outside of his control have robbed him of a record number of championships.

Showed his class after the race as well unlike MV who walked off the podium last week like a stroppy entitled teenager.

Far too much decided in the stewards room this year like football the officiating of F1 is currently a shambles

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Far too much decided in the stewards room this year like football the officiating of F1 is currently a shambles

For too many years, F1 hasn’t had to worry about the micro-managing of races because of the gulf in class between teams.

This year, the two leading teams have been so close and in so many races that race control have had to deal with scenarios that they weren’t prepared for.

Time for the rule book to be re-examined and rewritten in light of this new era of close competition.

I guess that’s the best outcome of Mercedes’ chasing this through the courts.

Should make for a fascinating 2022.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Oddly I think this might end up bad news for Max / Red Bull. If Hamilton has won yesterday I think he might have considered retirement, or at least taken it easier. However, this will spur him and the team on to up their game, and attempt to absolutely destroy RB next season. It might be the spur to keep Lewis going for a few more season, although much will depend upon how well George Russell does as well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For too many years, F1 hasn’t had to worry about the micro-managing of races because of the gulf in class between teams.

This year, the two leading teams have been so close and in so many races that race control have had to deal with scenarios that they weren’t prepared for.

Time for the rule book to be re-examined and rewritten in light of this new era of close competition.

I guess that’s the best outcome of Mercedes’ chasing this through the courts.

Should make for a fascinating 2022.

Going to be utterly fascinating. This season's outcome will be a constant backdrop. Can't wait to see how the effects of the new car designs will shake up the grid. I'm thinking, Hamilton and Verstappen will likely be racing in the midfield, whilst Haas and Aston Martin fight it out for the title :)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Hugo if I'm found dead on waste ground after a night out, with my boxer shorts stuffed in my mouth, I think you might be a person of interest.:lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hugo if I'm found dead on waste ground after a night out, with my boxer shorts stuffed in my mouth, I think you might be a person of interest.:lolol:

I promise you that the only reason I’d remove your boxers would be to suffocate you. I can guarantee you that there would be no funny business down below (although I do know that asphyxiation can cause an erection). You have my word.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sounds like you were hoping for an article based on objective research, a little optimistic perhaps?

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
Can someone remind me of where Perez was before the Latifi crash? Was he P3?

If so, did Max pitting for soft's see MV drop P3 and Perez into P2? (I know there was a huge time gap between P2 & P3 so maybe not)

If so, retiring Perez (and he was shocked at being retired!) was also a master stoke / top-level s'housery depending on how orange your eyes.

Pre-crash is all a bit of a blur, so forgive me if none of this is accurate, just something that I've been thinking about! (Yes, I know I could watch it again...)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I'm not cheated is the right expression, much as I can't stand the Belgian, he did nothing wrong at the end. Robbed is probably closer, the stewards explanation is essentially that the race director has 'overriding authority' ie. He can make it up as he goes along!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not cheated is the right expression, much as I can't stand the Belgian, he did nothing wrong at the end. Robbed is probably closer, the stewards explanation is essentially that the race director has 'overriding authority' ie. He can make it up as he goes along!

The bottom line is that Michael Masi's days of race directing are very much likely to be over and everyone knows it. Crofty was on the radio this morning saying what a lovely, hard working bloke he is before saying what a farce the whole thing was seemingly knowing that he was done for. I guarentee he will be either spending more time with the family or counting paper clips before the 2022 season starts.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can someone remind me of where Perez was before the Latifi crash? Was he P3?

If so, did Max pitting for soft's see MV drop P3 and Perez into P2? (I know there was a huge time gap between P2 & P3 so maybe not)

If so, retiring Perez (and he was shocked at being retired!) was also a master stoke / top-level s'housery depending on how orange your eyes.

Pre-crash is all a bit of a blur, so forgive me if none of this is accurate, just something that I've been thinking about! (Yes, I know I could watch it again...)

They pitted Perez under the SC too, then mysteriously retired him with 3 laps to go, even though he replied that the car was absolutely fine. Suspicion being they underfueled him so he had a better chance to influence the middle of the race which he did.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's a bit like being in the cup final and the referee awarding a penalty to the opposition in injury time for a foul inside the D, because the ref suddenly decided the D is now part of the penalty area because he felt that would be a better way of deciding the game than a penalty shoot-out.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They pitted Perez under the SC too, then mysteriously retired him with 3 laps to go, even though he replied that the car was absolutely fine. Suspicion being they underfueled him so he had a better chance to influence the middle of the race which he did.

Is that allowed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here