Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extended highlights on seagull player

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Everyone says a striker has to score goals, I disagree, the team have to score goals and if CMS is that influential to change the way an opposition play, that's a very valuable asset.

A striker's main role is to score goals. With respect to CMS, the money Gus laid out to purchase him could have bought better quality to change a game if that was what was needed. CMS was valued at and bought on potential goal scoring ability.

That's not to say others shouldn't be scoring as well of course.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A striker's main role is to score goals. With respect to CMS, the money Gus laid out to purchase him could have bought better quality to change a game if that was what was needed. CMS was valued at and bought on potential goal scoring ability.

That's not to say others shouldn't be scoring as well of course.

It is, but if CMS contributes towards the team scoring goals, then he's worth every penny. We could have a striker who would score more than CMS, but help the team less. So the net product could be less goals. At the end of the day its the team scoring goals that will win us points and it doesn't matter who puts it in the net, so long as we're scoring.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is, but if CMS contributes towards the team scoring goals, then he's worth every penny. We could have a striker who would score more than CMS, but help the team less. So the net product could be less goals. At the end of the day its the team scoring goals that will win us points and it doesn't matter who puts it in the net, so long as we're scoring.

I think you're both right and wrong on this.

I entirely agree with the point that his contribution helps us in other ways, and if that contributes to us winning games, then his individual tally is irrelevant.

HOWEVER, the fact is that a number of times last season his own finishing did leave a lot to be desired. This is nothing to do with styles / tactics / team instructions. Just chances created, then missed, that really, really should have been buried. I'm thinking Leicester away from a yard out, and Burnley at home with no goalkeeper, but there were plenty of others.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
HOWEVER, the fact is that a number of times last season his own finishing did leave a lot to be desired. This is nothing to do with styles / tactics / team instructions. Just chances created, then missed, that really, really should have been buried. I'm thinking Leicester away from a yard out, and Burnley at home with no goalkeeper, but there were plenty of others.

Exactly this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Correct. And this not a biased dig at CMS from a "hater", this is not "he's shit, get rid" etc nonsense.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think you're both right and wrong on this.

I entirely agree with the point that his contribution helps us in other ways, and if that contributes to us winning games, then his individual tally is irrelevant.

I agree, he's never been been brilliant in front of goal (despite his tally at Posh) and I recall him missing a number of good chances for Posh, shit memory but pretty sure he missed a sitter in the play-off final before going on to score later. He got loads of goals in the lower leagues for two reasons IMO, one his work rate creating his own chances and two the way Posh played which was very gung-ho and created chance after chance after chance. When you do that, and a player starts scoring and they get confident it only gets better and better for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here