Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Re point 2: In fairness in to GP, as other posters have pointed out on NSC, we had started to score freely and from multiple positions at the end of last season and beginning of this one (Man U 4, Wolves 3, Leicester 5 etc).
It's also worth noting that goals from corners have almost completely dried up.
That is something that I think we should work on.

Re point 3: Solly missed a sitter against Charlton. I am sure the worldie he scored against Southampton allowed him to stay calm and slot the ball in last night.
You're right. The goals were beginning to come before Potter left.

Regarding corners, I don't have any stats on them, other than the number of corners we get on the BBC match stats. That said, my perception is that we don't tend to score from corners or set pieces. But then, both the occurrence and frequency of them, are outside our control. Perhaps there is more return from working on scoring goals from open play, which we can control.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I thought last night an interesting contest in terms of what the opposition tried to do. Lampard has always struck me as a fairly decent organising coach and motivator, but yesterday suggested that either he's not a tactician, or he let hope get the better of him. He knew, as most would, that the only way to get something out of City was to defend and keep space tight. The draw suggested that he has the players that can do this. He then changed to a 4-3-3 against us, a team built in the image of Guardiola, and hoped that his players could take us on in a more expansive game.

In hindsight, its an obviously disastrous decision. A tiny bit of research would have shown that, if you try to press De Zerbi's Brighton, they will thank you for doing half of their job for them. Three against Southampton, two (should have been three) away at Arsenal, four against Chelsea: Our team will score in an open game. The likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and City have the players to take us on in this type of game, most other teams in the division don't.

It seems that, if you don't have the talents of the the top sides, you get something against us by sitting deep, keeping spaces tight and breaking quickly. Villa and Spurs did it and won, Charlton, Newcastle, Forest all did it and got a draw. This is obvious to unqualified fans, so its hard to believe that nobody in Everton's coaching team was aware of this. Therefore, you have to wonder why Lampard changed from five at the back and tried to be more expansive.

Perhaps he underestimated us, thinking that his players could rattle us with an early blitz like Arsenal did. However, his decision could also be a result of the pressure of managing a 'name' team at home. Was he thinking that the Goodison crowd would turn on his players if they watched them play a catenaccio type system against a 'team like Brighton'? Was he thinking that you don't get out of relegation trouble with draws against mid table sides? Did he think that his players were better, or our players were not as good as the result proved to be the case? Whatever the reason, it cost him the game and may cost him his job.

The psychology is, to me, really interesting. Potter used to mention often that the opposition will also have their plan. I wonder whether Lampard's playing history of mostly rolling over the opposition's plan has left him slightly ill equipped to give it proper consideration. If you have always been used to imposing your will on a contest, is it easy to adapt when you are without the tools that allowed you to do it? Does years of success create a confirmation bias that promotes unrealistic overconfidence? Could this be a contributing factor as to why relatively few of the great / most decorated players end up being great managers? I'm definitely reading too much into this, but it just got me thinking down a route that I found interesting.
I like the way XenForo has a 'Click to expand...' button for long posts.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I thought last night an interesting contest in terms of what the opposition tried to do. Lampard has always struck me as a fairly decent organising coach and motivator, but yesterday suggested that either he's not a tactician, or he let hope get the better of him. He knew, as most would, that the only way to get something out of City was to defend and keep space tight. The draw suggested that he has the players that can do this. He then changed to a 4-3-3 against us, a team built in the image of Guardiola, and hoped that his players could take us on in a more expansive game.

In hindsight, its an obviously disastrous decision. A tiny bit of research would have shown that, if you try to press De Zerbi's Brighton, they will thank you for doing half of their job for them. Three against Southampton, two (should have been three) away at Arsenal, four against Chelsea: Our team will score in an open game. The likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and City have the players to take us on in this type of game, most other teams in the division don't.

It seems that, if you don't have the talents of the the top sides, you get something against us by sitting deep, keeping spaces tight and breaking quickly. Villa and Spurs did it and won, Charlton, Newcastle, Forest all did it and got a draw. This is obvious to unqualified fans, so its hard to believe that nobody in Everton's coaching team was aware of this. Therefore, you have to wonder why Lampard changed from five at the back and tried to be more expansive.

Perhaps he underestimated us, thinking that his players could rattle us with an early blitz like Arsenal did. However, his decision could also be a result of the pressure of managing a 'name' team at home. Was he thinking that the Goodison crowd would turn on his players if they watched them play a catenaccio type system against a 'team like Brighton'? Was he thinking that you don't get out of relegation trouble with draws against mid table sides? Did he think that his players were better, or our players were not as good as the result proved to be the case? Whatever the reason, it cost him the game and may cost him his job.

The psychology is, to me, really interesting. Potter used to mention often that the opposition will also have their plan. I wonder whether Lampard's playing history of mostly rolling over the opposition's plan has left him slightly ill equipped to give it proper consideration. If you have always been used to imposing your will on a contest, is it easy to adapt when you are without the tools that allowed you to do it? Does years of success create a confirmation bias that promotes unrealistic overconfidence? Could this be a contributing factor as to why relatively few of the great / most decorated players end up being great managers? I'm definitely reading too much into this, but it just got me thinking down a route that I found interesting.
Really enjoyed your post, thanks 👍.
I was thinking it was mainly the fear of getting sucked into the bottom 3 that lead Lampard to that set up ("we can beat teams like Brighton if we can draw at City" mentality), but could just as equally be a mix of the other points you highlighted..
Everton's team looks good on paper, but they were all over the place for our goals. That's another reason De Zerbi didn't get hyper excited: we were very good, but Everton's defending judgement was crap for 3 of our goals.
Thank you for the link. It's an astonishing stat 👍.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was thinking it was mainly the fear of getting sucked into the bottom 3 that lead Lampard to that set up ("we can beat teams like Brighton if we can draw at City" mentality), but could just as equally be a mix of the other points you highlighted..
Everton's team looks good on paper, but they were all over the place for our goals. That's another reason De Zerbi didn't get hyper excited: we were very good, but Everton's defending judgement was crap for 3 of our goals.

Thank you for the link. It's an astonishing stat 👍.
I posted this earlier today but it’s on page 2 now.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Great post - enjoyed that thanks

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
You're right. The goals were beginning to come before Potter left.

Regarding corners, I don't have any stats on them, other than the number of corners we get on the BBC match stats. That said, my perception is that we don't tend to score from corners or set pieces. But then, both the occurrence and frequency of them, are outside our control. Perhaps there is more return from working on scoring goals from open play, which we can control.
Corner kicks are an interesting part of the game. I dont know the stats but it feels like the returns on corners has been diminishing for a while generally . It does seem ripe for innovation, creatively getting it back in to open play rather than hoofing it in to a crowded box. It’ll be brave tactics that break with tradition but wouldn’t surprise me if someone like RDZ breaks the mould.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Jesus. From this article:

He currently earns £70,000-a-week at Goodison Park, with his current deal running until 2024, but a new contract could see his wages increase to £100,000-a-week after an impressive start to the season which has since fizzled out.

Shows what an utter basket case Everton are.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Chappers: "Brighton are so much fun to watch, aren't they, under De Zerbi."

Wright after praising Evan Ferguson to the heavens and our infrastructure with recruitment:

"They are the team that Everton should be."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here